Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2015, 05:44 PM

22 posts, read 25,481 times

Advertisements

My husband and I have the opportunity to come west (TX and over) for work. No specifications other than that and it should be within 30 minutes of a major airport (travel for work). It's so exciting and so overwhelming. It sounds like CA has a dream climate/pace of life/healthy lifestyle/charm & personality but it seems unaffordable. In order to make it work, we would need a 4 bedroom (3 kids) for under $450K so that we are very comfortable and free to travel back home, etc. I know this is probably impossible but I guess you never know. I've been trying to find answers but with so many places to look, it's overwhelming so any advice would be much appreciated. We would, of course, be making some trips out to view things ourselves but somehow I have to narrow down to maybe 3 areas/states/etc first.

So, if any of you have opinions on areas/states/cities that have a milder but WARM climate, great personality (shopping, great restaurants, walkable downtown areas even if small) and close to a major airport, I would love those suggestions too! I have a lot of thinking to do...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2015, 07:03 PM

1,235 posts, read 1,769,062 times
A four bedroom single-family house for $450,000 is going to be nearly impossible unless its a 100% teardown, unless you go way out in the middle of nowhere like Temecula, which is in another county and far from a major airport.

But cheer up because yes, San Diego's climate is more pleasant/mild than Texas, it really is not that much warmer than Houston's. Some people have a misconception that San Diego is like Miami or Hawaii in the winter. That is not the case, though this winter has been warm.

San Diego in winter averages: daily highs in the mid-to-high 60's with lows around 50.

You might try Florida for WARMER winters and less sticker shock on the real estate prices.

Old 02-28-2015, 07:14 PM

6,501 posts, read 7,530,019 times
Here you go, it is even on Sunshine Ave, that sounds warm.

SDLookup.com | 549*S*Sunshine*Ave - MLS# 140053446

Old 02-28-2015, 07:34 PM

1,014 posts, read 1,575,281 times
Quote:
It sounds like CA has a dream climate/pace of life/healthy lifestyle/charm & personality but it seems unaffordable.
Correct. And CA is particularly bad, from a financial point of view, for young families. This is because of punitive California income tax rates, sales tax rates, home prices, energy prices, gas taxes, DMV -- all of which are either the highest, or among the top three, in the United States. It is prohibitively expensive.

Quote:
In order to make it work, we would need a 4 bedroom (3 kids) for under $450K so that we are very comfortable and free to travel back home, etc. I know this is probably impossible but I guess you never know.
In San Diego, we know. And this will be pretty close to impossible, unless you are buying an older junker that will need a lot of work, and it will be in a district with less-than-stellar schools. I monitor the market regularly. If you want a slightly modern place and good schools, you realistically are looking at $750k minimum in a decent district -- and of course if you are anywhere near the coast (west of the I-5), the prices are much higher. New homes? Forget about it, the builders right now in North San Diego County are building $1 million to $2.5 million McMansion tract homes, one of which my colleages purchased. The hard facts are you are competing against wealthy retirees and the moneyed class, all of whom can pay cash for very expensive real estate.

Perhaps one place to look is Chula Vista, which is due south of downtown San Diego, and closer to the border. I don't know about the schools, but if you can up your budget to $500,000, you maybe be able to find a 2000+ sq. ft. house in reasonable shape in Otay Mesa. But in Chula Vista (and elsewhere), beware of Mello Roos -- if you don't know what that is, look it up; the California politicians have wonderful ideas on how to extract money from your wallet.

Bottom line, if you are fiscally conservative, want to save for both retirement and your kids' college education, do not -- I repeat do not -- move to San Diego, because housing prices + income taxes + cost of living will make it a Herculean task for your family. And if this sounds bleak, I assure you Los Angeles is worse, and in San Francisco, get ready to spend $1.2 million on a two-bedroom, one bathroom shack, as well as even more city-specific sale and income taxes in LA and San Francisco.

Old 02-28-2015, 07:38 PM

1,537 posts, read 1,482,797 times
You'll mostly get responses from naysayers in this forum. You should research for yourself from Realtor.com or sdlookup.com, and you'll find what you are looking for, not just a "teardown".

Here's a listing for a 4 BR in Santee, which is way nicer/safer than El Cajon.

SDLookup.com | 8713*Glen*Oaks*Way - MLS# 150009231

Old 02-28-2015, 08:22 PM

9,525 posts, read 30,471,515 times
There are homes in mid 400s in 92119, Santee, parts of La Mesa with OK schools. 4/3 might be tough at that price and you can expect some ratty yards, but it exists.

Old 02-28-2015, 08:30 PM

6,501 posts, read 7,530,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnAlt View Post
You'll mostly get responses from naysayers in this forum. You should research for yourself from Realtor.com or sdlookup.com, and you'll find what you are looking for, not just a "teardown".

Here's a listing for a 4 BR in Santee, which is way nicer/safer than El Cajon.

SDLookup.com | 8713*Glen*Oaks*Way - MLS# 150009231
That is a good looking little house for the price inside and out, hard to believe that they fit four bedrooms into 1700 SQFT.

Here is a nice looking 4 bedroom (but under 2000 SQ FT) in Chula Vista as USDEFAULT suggested. This one looks VERY CLEAN inside and is near the San Diego Country Club Golf Course. The back yard is quite big but needs some TLC.

SDLookup.com | 1063*Jacqueline - MLS# 150009616

OP, your budget will not get you into the best school districts and most exclusive neighborhoods, but it is possible to live in a decent looking home for the price.

Old 02-28-2015, 08:44 PM

22 posts, read 25,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StreetLegal View Post
A four bedroom single-family house for $450,000 is going to be nearly impossible unless its a 100% teardown, unless you go way out in the middle of nowhere like Temecula, which is in another county and far from a major airport.

But cheer up because yes, San Diego's climate is more pleasant/mild than Texas, it really is not that much warmer than Houston's. Some people have a misconception that San Diego is like Miami or Hawaii in the winter. That is not the case, though this winter has been warm.

San Diego in winter averages: daily highs in the mid-to-high 60's with lows around 50.

You might try Florida for WARMER winters and less sticker shock on the real estate prices.

A winter average of 50-60 sounds amazingly perfect. I'm from NY/Chicago/PA so I only know cold winters. I'm worried that Texas would be colder winters (30-50's) and then blazingly hot uncomfortable summers. I prefer hot to cold but the point is I want to up my quality of life (being able to be outside comfortably for more of the year).

But, that said, I knew it would be impossible... Wishful thinking!

Old 02-28-2015, 10:50 PM

7,378 posts, read 12,664,614 times
You may be sun-starved, but trust me, you do not want hot-hot summers. The novelty will wear off after a few years. San Diego has the most benign climate in the nation, if you're looking for mild winters and warm summers. But Northern CA has a lot to offer, too. You might look into Sacramento which has a charming Old Town on the river. You might also check out Lodi, about 50 minutes south of Sacramento, although Lodi home prices have traditionally been higher than SacTown. But it is a nice, family-oriented community. Steer clear of Stockton, though...

Realtor.com is a great source, better than Zillow IMO.

I wouldn't want to steer you toward the Bay Area, partly because of the home prices, but also because it isn't particularly warm any time of year, regardless of its charm.

Old 03-01-2015, 08:34 AM

50,262 posts, read 47,017,746 times
Santee to the airport will be 30 min with no traffic, depending on the direction of rush hours.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego