Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2015, 05:11 PM

4,738 posts, read 4,433,724 times

Advertisements

What is the process / How do they confirm you are a resident of San Diego (regarding zoo)?

for a new resident, how quickly can you get a zoo membership? what do you need

thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2015, 05:14 PM

14,303 posts, read 11,692,440 times
You don't need to be a resident of San Diego! Anyone can be a member, as long as you pay the fee. We've been members for years, and we live in Orange County.

Sign up and pay online, and you will immediately get a temporary proof of membership. They will send you membership cards within a few weeks.

Old 03-01-2015, 05:16 PM

813 posts, read 1,272,525 times
I don't believe you have to be a resident of San Diego to get a membership. We are members, and I will tell you that they check photo I.D. each and every single time you enter the zoo, and they do look to make sure the names match.

If you are going to the zoo membership window to get your card, they give you temporary passes and coupons, and your packet comes in the mail.

Where being a resident of San Diego is key is if you are going to do the Resident Free Tuesday at the museums of Balboa Park. Then you need your I.D. showing that you are a resident of San Diego. The Zoo is not part of this program.

Old 03-01-2015, 05:23 PM

4,738 posts, read 4,433,724 times
i meant the local membership card, for the right zip codes - its cheaper!

Old 03-01-2015, 05:39 PM

14,303 posts, read 11,692,440 times
I wasn't aware of such a program, but if that's the case, your ID showing your permanent address should be sufficient.

You can definitely sign up for a membership at entrance to the zoo and enter immediately. You don't need to wait for anything.

Old 03-01-2015, 07:20 PM

1,566 posts, read 4,423,803 times
I signed up a couple weeks ago. The entire process took about five minutes. They issued me a temporary membership form and said the card would arrive in 2-3 weeks. I've gone to the zoo twice since then and have enjoyed every minute of my time there. Be sure to bring your camera, and be sure to get there early, when morning feeding occurs.

One of the employees mentioned that the best days to come to the zoo are days when it's overcast. The animals are more lively and more prone to venture out into the daylight area.

I'm writing all this as a person who hadn't been to the San Diego Zoo in 60 years, proving that some old dogs can be taught new tricks. Ha.

Old 03-01-2015, 09:46 PM

10,090 posts, read 42,415,243 times
You can enroll online and you will be issued a temp. card that can be used immediately. Your card will be sent in about 2 weeks with a number of different coupons that can be used by guests and in the gift shops and restaurants. The one thing they are strict about is showing ID at the gate when you enter. This is to prevent ID cards from being passed around.

Old 03-01-2015, 11:00 PM

21 posts, read 29,295 times
On a side note, it's definitely worth the cost to become a member, only because the single entry fee for a family for the zoo and safari park is quite high. So if you plan to go often and enjoy both the safari park and the zoo, do get the membership.

I don't know what you've heard about the zoo, but it was hyped up so much by lots of my coworkers that I was in for a major letdown. It was really disappointing once we got the membership and went in. Its a dull zoo (unless you like birds and big cats with stereotypy) and hard to maneuver up and down the hills (especially with young children). The food concessions are abominable. So despite getting the membership, we've only been once.

Old 03-04-2015, 08:16 AM

1,300 posts, read 2,024,985 times
My wife and I just got our renewal offer. Dual membership for 110 dollars. Comes with all sorts of freebies and guest coupons. Good for the Zoo and Wild Animal park. All you have to do is go a few times and it is a bargain. We try to do it every year but we have skipped some. It is really a good workout to just go and power-walk the whole thing.I think it is a worthwhile venture, even if you don't use it, you end up supporting something really cool that has a lot of civic pride.

Old 03-04-2015, 09:12 AM

2,601 posts, read 3,397,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brewcity2012 View Post

I don't know what you've heard about the zoo, but it was hyped up so much by lots of my coworkers that I was in for a major letdown. It was really disappointing once we got the membership and went in. Its a dull zoo (unless you like birds and big cats with stereotypy) and hard to maneuver up and down the hills (especially with young children). The food concessions are abominable. So despite getting the membership, we've only been once.
I couldn't agree more. It's the most over hyped very expensive zoo I've ever seen. I've had more fun at local zoo's that than at that place and they are 1/3 the price.. Unless you love long hikes on hard asphalt up hills(seriously...who builds a zoo like that on a huge mountain!) And then you've got all the polluting buses driving by you, huge crowds, and many animals that you can barely see due to how large the exhibit is nor can you get very close to most of the animals.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego