Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2009, 10:34 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,667,610 times

Advertisements

I'm there every three months or so too - half the time I go alone - and I've never had any real problems.

The only time I had a problem was when I drove my own car into Tijuana. I had done it several times before, but this one time, I got pulled over by a cop for allegedly not stopping "long enough" at a stop sign. (Yeah, right.) I gave the cop $40 just to get rid of him. It worked, and I never drove my car down there again.

Old 02-22-2009, 10:59 PM

1,636 posts, read 3,286,398 times
A couple years ago, or even a year ago, I would say it was no problem to go down there, as long as you had your street smarts and you were cautious.
Now, I think it's a little more risky. These are bad times right now, and I don't think there's anything in TJ worth the risk. It's not as bad in TJ as say Juarez, but you never know. I'd probably drive a little further down to Rosarito or Puerto Nuevo.
But I wouldn't want to walk back from Revolution to the border, or across that dark bridge at 4am anymore like I did in the old days when I was an 18 year old getting wasted at the clubs full of Americans on Revolucion.

I think TJ would be cool to go to if you get on a taxi as soon as you cross and take it straight to wherever area you're going. I don't recommend driving or walking.

If you like Mexican clubs, you'd probably even consider going to Mexicali. It's pretty fun over there, and a lot cleaner/safer.

But I don't really like going to TJ. That was cool when I was a teen, and would drink anything remotely alcohol flavored. Now, it's not appealing at all down there.

Old 02-23-2009, 01:56 PM

1,115 posts, read 3,133,954 times
Question:

Which border towns are more safe to go to than TJ?

I want to go down into Mexico, but these days TJ just sounds a little too intense and risky.

I heard that Tecate is safe. How is Mexicali these days?

Thanks.

Old 02-24-2009, 11:24 AM

9,525 posts, read 30,475,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FunkyMonk View Post
I heard that Tecate is safe. How is Mexicali these days?
Both are good. Tecate is charming but there is not much there. Mexicali is a big city.

Old 02-24-2009, 01:08 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,726,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RD5050 View Post
Tijuana is a very popular tourist site for people in San Diego.

Recent articles have said they have been dealing with drug-related gang activity, and have needed to add a lot of additional police.

Mexico adds police as drug killings mount | Reuters

The Canadian Press: Americans fearful of Mexican beaches south of the border from San Diego (broken link)

I personally have never been south of the border.

Anybody have bad experiences traveling to Tijuana or any other nearby places in Mexico, such as Baja?
Right now I would say, absolutely NO, the US State Dept has just put out a warning, advising tourists to not travel to any Mexican border town, including Tijuana.

Nita

Old 02-25-2009, 08:45 PM

140 posts, read 488,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDrelocate View Post
Well folks, I have an update on my unfortunate incident down in Tijuana last year. I wrote the above post while still recuperating in Scripps LaJolla. It was a rough couple months. I'm very lucky that my other kidney is carrying its own weight now. I was on dialysis for a good 6 weeks. My doctor said I was very lucky to have survived, he commented that the Kidney thief looked like he had some medical training, perhaps some veterinary surgury experience. Perhaps it was the cat gut sutures that gave it away, vets sometimes use sometimes to stitch up horse or burro wounds.

No update from the Tijuana police yet. After my initial statement in a Mexican hospital, I haven't heard much back from them.

I wanted to thank all of you who sent their thoughts and prayers for me.

Best Regards,
Steve
Well I was back in the hospital today for another round of dialysis, a bit of a setback. Anyhow, thanks again for all those who sent their thoughts and prayers. I have come to realize that the people of San Diego are great. Thanks!
Steve

Old 02-25-2009, 09:15 PM

1,115 posts, read 3,133,954 times
Quote:
Well I was back in the hospital today for another round of dialysis, a bit of a setback. Anyhow, thanks again for all those who sent their thoughts and prayers. I have come to realize that the people of San Diego are great. Thanks!
Steve
If this is for real, you should contact the newspapers and have them write a story. It's definantly newsworthy material.

Old 02-28-2009, 02:18 PM

4,897 posts, read 8,317,746 times
Quote:
Steve
Sorry to hear about your kidney troubles. I've read several of your posts and find them to be insightful so please keep posting. Best of luck to you and please keep telling us about the great place you live.

Old 02-28-2009, 02:22 PM

4,897 posts, read 8,317,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassberto View Post
Both are good. Tecate is charming but there is not much there. Mexicali is a big city.
The one thing I will never forget about Tecate is going for a tour of the brewery where you get pay $12 buck and then get 10 minutes to drink as much as you can. After you leave the tasting room you are walked out the back door where there are dumpsters where they dump the spent grain they us to make beer. I saw a bunch of rats run out from behind the dumpsters which made me never want to drink Tecate ever again.

Old 02-28-2009, 03:04 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,726,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oerdin View Post
The one thing I will never forget about Tecate is going for a tour of the brewery where you get pay $12 buck and then get 10 minutes to drink as much as you can. After you leave the tasting room you are walked out the back door where there are dumpsters where they dump the spent grain they us to make beer. I saw a bunch of rats run out from behind the dumpsters which made me never want to drink Tecate ever again.
why did you have to tell us, Tacate is hubby favorite beer...??

Nita
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego