Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2015, 10:15 AM

15,129 posts, read 32,322,556 times

Advertisements

If he's stationed at Naval Base San Diego now, and gets orders to North Island on Coronado, it won't be a long drive, but it could be a long wait on the bridge. None of them are five minutes apartment, so it would just depend on which one he gets stationed at.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2015, 12:04 PM

9 posts, read 9,436 times
with morning traffic id say at least 20 minutes apart. When hubs was in point loma it took him about 40minutes to get to work but on 32nd it takes him about 20ish. (both times dependant upon traffic of course)

@moved Like I said I've never explored much of national city, mainly just seen the area right down the road from base and around the walmart. I'm from a super small town in the middle of nowhere tho so that area just seems that way to me.

Old 03-10-2015, 12:59 PM

9,822 posts, read 11,546,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aliwalas View Post
Why wouldn't you personally live in National City?
Ya, we don't expect to be in any luxurious living any time soon lol.

Oh, I didn't know there were so many. National City for sure.
You must be fresh out of Boot Camp

Old 03-10-2015, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nella15 View Post
with morning traffic id say at least 20 minutes apart. When hubs was in point loma it took him about 40minutes to get to work but on 32nd it takes him about 20ish. (both times dependant upon traffic of course)

@moved Like I said I've never explored much of national city, mainly just seen the area right down the road from base and around the walmart. I'm from a super small town in the middle of nowhere tho so that area just seems that way to me.
It doesn't seem ghetto to me, but I grew up, and have always lived in big cities, with the exception of Chico. I go to that Walmart all the time, and I live on the street behind the stores on Main Street, (what you consider ghetto), and I don't consider it ghetto. It just happens to be a lower income area than what you live in, I don't need/want a roommate, and my street is half commercial and half residential.

Old 03-10-2015, 03:31 PM

780 posts, read 678,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moved View Post
If he's stationed at Naval Base San Diego now, and gets orders to North Island on Coronado, it won't be a long drive, but it could be a long wait on the bridge. None of them are five minutes apartment, so it would just depend on which one he gets stationed at.
sounds fair, thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hitman619 View Post
You must be fresh out of Boot Camp
Well Sir, stop giving it away to everyone!

Not sure what's your concept of "fresh out". In a way, ya? He's been stationed in S.D. for over a year now (Boot/School done some time ago from different states). He only really commute on weekends that he can. I'm reluctant with his views on certain cities because he doesn't really go out much to begin with

Old 03-10-2015, 04:02 PM

You need to get out and walk around. Is he living on base now? If he is, both of you need to get out and walk around neighborhoods you're interested in!

Old 03-10-2015, 10:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moved View Post
You need to get out and walk around. Is he living on base now? If he is, both of you need to get out and walk around neighborhoods you're interested in!
Ya, you're right. I'll be in San Diego for just under a week to see him until next year again, so I'd want to have as limited option as possible. Thanks for your suggestions!

Old 03-11-2015, 06:55 AM

191 posts, read 454,302 times
Who told you there is no military housing? With your budget, that is probably your best bet. San Diego (Naval Complex) | Installations | Lincoln Military Housing They will take your housing allowance, because it is for housing. But they cover all or most of your utilities. It depends on where you live. And the housing for junior enlisted is nicer than you will get for the same price in town.

Old 03-11-2015, 08:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlie_paige View Post
Who told you there is no military housing? With your budget, that is probably your best bet. San Diego (Naval Complex) | Installations | Lincoln Military Housing They will take your housing allowance, because it is for housing. But they cover all or most of your utilities. It depends on where you live. And the housing for junior enlisted is nicer than you will get for the same price in town.

Thank you for the link! I don't know exactly who did, but that's what he was told. I didn't inquire further and just took it as that.

The houses look beautiful and if we have a whole family, hands down I'd take that. Though, it's just the two of us and we don't really need a whole house. A studio is actually sufficient for us. I want at least one bedroom (I live in a studio right now and he has visited me multiple times, so he prefers a studio for saving purposes).

I was thinking, since BAH is shy under $2,000, might as well take the 'cash' and take a lower rent and use the extra for all utilities (some rent includes all of it) and then some bills, (internet, rent insurance...just the extra little things).... rather than take a whole house and get no allowance and possibly still pay some utilities. That was just the thought behind it. But then again, this thinking was based on having no housing available.

I'll definitely browse through the gallery. It's good to know the options available!

Old 03-11-2015, 09:07 AM

9,822 posts, read 11,546,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlie_paige View Post
This^^^
But also i have to advise against Staying in Military housing here in San Diego. While it is free, the drama that goes on at some of these military housing complexes here in San Diego is Imo, Not worth it!
I also heard there is a long waiting list, so that may not help O.P.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego