Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2016, 01:20 PM

25 posts, read 19,336 times

Advertisements

Grant Hill Area would be the best in terms of commute to downtown, north park etc...
other options would be National City / El Cajon.

Other than that you might have to spend $1000 for a one bedroom.

You can find good deals, just keep looking.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2016, 01:22 PM

8,390 posts, read 7,644,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bologe View Post
Grant Hill Area would be the best in terms of commute to downtown, north park etc...
other options would be National City / El Cajon.

Other than that you might have to spend $1000 for a one bedroom.

You can find good deals, just keep looking.
The poster no longer needs any advice. She revived this old thread from last year in order to provide an update. She found an apartment in City Heights last September.

Old 03-16-2016, 01:47 PM

6,504 posts, read 7,533,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LGray45 View Post
I found a place in August 2015. It's in City Heights in a very ethnically diverse neighborhood, which I love. My daughter loves it here, and I'm so glad to be back in San Diego!
Thanks for posting back! Always good when a poster closes the loop.

Old 04-10-2016, 04:40 AM

5 posts, read 5,462 times
LGray45 (and others willing to give info)

Would City Heights be suitable for 19yr female moving from midwest first time out of home?

Ive been looking on craigslist at apts n rooms for rent... But not sure what ads are legit

Please note: I've read all posts n replies to the sticky thread as well

Old 04-10-2016, 09:06 AM

4,539 posts, read 12,403,081 times
Redbrink - In general, my answer would be no. However, if you are big city girl fresh from home, maybe some parts of City Heights would work. For example, if you were renting a room in a house in the Azalea Park area of City Heights.

What is your budget (as opposed to the Original Poster)? And what are your needs in regard to location, commute, car/parking, and amenities? Can you find a place in Normal Heights? (I just looked at Craigslist and saw a 1 bedroom for $970)

Last edited by kettlepot; 04-10-2016 at 09:48 AM..

Old 04-10-2016, 12:45 PM

I am the Mother ... (very nervous, but know I have to cut my strings) ... I will take any and all direct advice I could get - - -Kettlepot is there a way (I'm very new to Forum's this is my first one ever) I could email you directly? ...

As for your questions - Budget 1000-1300 (a little breathe room there) location, she would like to be in the trendy areas (wish she was here right now to ask more specifics) .... She is going to School for Special Effects Make-up (online to begin with) so location is very flexible..However, she doesn't have access to a car, so walking distance to entertain shop etc is convenient. in my very vague search I did ... Hillcrest was probably the most closely to (yet not exact for what it's listed for) ... she's very artsy, crafty, loves horror stores etc.

Old 04-10-2016, 06:37 PM

8,390 posts, read 7,644,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redbrink View Post
I am the Mother ... (very nervous, but know I have to cut my strings) ... I will take any and all direct advice I could get - - -Kettlepot is there a way (I'm very new to Forum's this is my first one ever) I could email you directly? ...

As for your questions - Budget 1000-1300 (a little breathe room there) location, she would like to be in the trendy areas (wish she was here right now to ask more specifics) .... She is going to School for Special Effects Make-up (online to begin with) so location is very flexible..However, she doesn't have access to a car, so walking distance to entertain shop etc is convenient. in my very vague search I did ... Hillcrest was probably the most closely to (yet not exact for what it's listed for) ... she's very artsy, crafty, loves horror stores etc.
City Heights really isn't a "trendy" area.

North Park, Normal Heights, University Heights, Hillcrest and Pacific Beach would probably better fit what she is looking for, and she should be able to find something in her price range in those areas. If she doesn't have a car, definitely check out access to public transportation which you can do here: http://www.sdmts.com/

You probably already know this but many, if not most, San Diego landlords won't rent to tenants who don't have a credit history. Some landlords even check credit histories for roommates subleasing a room in an apartment. So, there is a good chance that you will need to cosign with her to get a lease.

Old 04-11-2016, 02:06 AM

4,539 posts, read 12,403,081 times
What Rosie said, only add South Park and Golden Hill.

But first off, for kids under the age of 21, I have no idea where they hang out, and what they do. So for every neighborhood I'm commenting on, for entertainment, I don't really know.

North Park - Pluses: larger population and therefore overall larger pool of younger people. Plenty of necessary stores (Grocery, Rx, and specialty shops), good access to transit. Minuses: Affordability is falling. Trendy level: Now.

Normal Heights - Pluses: Plenty of necessary stores (Grocery, Rx, - some specialty shops), decent access to transit, it kind of depends on where you are in the neighborhood. Has good coffee house culture. Several shops do music nights, food truck Tuesdays. (Has a coffee house called Lestats and a comic book store, and two large street festivals). Minuses: Smaller overall population than North Park. Trendy level: It is the next "Big Thing". I can feel it when I'm there.

University Heights, Hillcrest, South Park - Great neighborhoods (similar to the above), but can she find something she can afford?

Golden Hill is the neighborhood I know the least about. It has good access to Downtown as does Hillcrest.

Pacific Beach - My problem with Pacific Beach is that it is somewhat walled off from the rest of the City by the 5 Freeway and Mission Bay. Using only public transit, she may feel she can't get to where she needs to be. Not to mention that because it is a beach community, rents and prices for goods are higher.

All of these neighborhoods have reasonable levels of urban safety, but things still happen.

I thought I would add some information that though it's about a specific apartment, has some general validity.

I DM'd Redbrink about an older apartment in back of a house in Normal Heights. Stripped of a link to the location here is the gist of what I said:

It is small. It comes with no parking. Parking raises the cost of a rental, but fortunately that isn't an issue for your daughter. It has no dishwasher, laundry, or A/C. The last two are issues. So, you will notice the "bars" in front of the door. It's a metal screen door that locks so someone can sleep with the front door open. That's what people did before air conditioning. However, there will be some hot summer nights that will be unpleasant. The unit doesn't have a laundry, so she'll have to cart her stuff, by hand (since she has no car) to a nearby laundromat. Normal Heights does have a laundromat or two so that's good. Also, there are these counter top, hand pump action laundry machines out there. That might be a great solution to the problem of needing socks and underwear more often than other clothes, but laundry time will be a bear. (a housewarming gift from mom? An education in "real life" for the daughter)

On the plus side, as I said this unit has character, is inexpensive (by SD standards), close to transit, has some security by being on a second floor, (important for women), and if the neighbors in the front house are good, people who can be neighborly.

The point for the general audience is that if you are willing to make compromises, (parking, a/c, laundry, age) less costly housing can be found in San Diego. Normal Heights can be a fun neighborhood.

Finally, I would like to add that the neighborhoods lists in this post all are part of the Car2Go service area where cars can be rented by the minute. However, at 19, she is probably not eligible. I don't recall, but they may have an age 25 cut off. That's too bad, because as a 19 year old, she'll probably have all the mobile phone and app knowledge to make that system work.

Last edited by kettlepot; 04-11-2016 at 02:59 AM..

Old 04-11-2016, 02:27 PM

Kettlepot and all others ...

THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!!

I believe this forum is a LIFE SAVER from the vague/general search tools I knew of and I'm so glad I stumbled across it!!

I very much appreciate the example with the Apartment Kettlepot!! It shined a light on for me!

Normal Heights seems to be the most commonly recommended, so today, I am searching around there.

You are all wonderful!

Old 05-18-2016, 07:49 PM

706 posts, read 757,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LGray45 View Post
I found a place in August 2015. It's in City Heights in a very ethnically diverse neighborhood, which I love. My daughter loves it here, and I'm so glad to be back in San Diego!
How much did you end up paying per month, if you don't mind me asking? How many bedrooms? Do you feel safe there?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego