Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-12-2015, 05:10 AM

44 posts, read 63,732 times

Advertisements

Finally, my time is here to move from Boise, Idaho to San Diego California. I have resigned from my work six months ago and have been traveling the world. My work emailed me and told me that they are still interested in my talents and want me back if I am willing to work for them again, even I have to work from home California remotely. They have employees that work from other states as well, so they are used to this. I am not sure what they have in mind, but I just returned from my tour-the-world trip yesterday and I am curious about the opportunity that they are considering.

At this point, in order to survive in San Diego, I need a full time position. I'll tell them that. What I am unsure is the salary. I don't know if they will base it on Idaho's rate or California's rate. Before my resignation, my position title is Programmer Analyst III with about $60k + benefits in Idaho. I am thinking of asking them to match that salary for California if they want me to be in the same position. I am single and $60k allowed me to live in Idaho comfortably though it doesn't sound that much.

What do you guys think? What's the best strategic way to approach this? They are a small company and very hard in giving you raise later on unless you ask for it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2015, 10:26 AM

5,139 posts, read 8,820,894 times
I'd definitely negotiate the job with them, since they seem to really want you. Single, $60k would be adequate to live here and it's definitely better to start out here with a job than without. Job market is very competitive but others that work in your field would be more knowledgable about jobs and salaries so hopefully they will post. SD and California in general is going to be more expensive than Boise. For example, a 1 BR apt in a good area will be going for $1,500+. Taxes are probably higher. Funny, a lot of people are leaving here to live in Idaho!

Old 03-14-2015, 11:15 PM

268 posts, read 1,130,913 times
As loveautumn already mentioned, job market is very very competitive in SD and you already had a job with your employer earlier. So I think its better to get your old job back before moving here. Since they want to hire you again, you can ask them a living cost match. Though $60k would work as you are single, but I would recommend $80K for a better flexibility.

Old 03-15-2015, 12:11 PM

1,175 posts, read 1,907,349 times
I don't know. You are asking an employer, whom you quit, to pay you more money and let you work remotely from California. The reality is if I were the Boss, why would I pay you more to work remote from California, when I can find somebody anywhere in the world, and far cheaper, to work remote?

See that is the problem people miss when it comes to working remote. If you aren't a client facing individual bringing in more revenue, it makes no sense to pay somebody more money if you can find somebody far cheaper in another country to do the same work. Sometimes it's not as good, sometimes it is, but most of the time it is far cheaper. So if I were the company, I would tell you great, good luck, but no thanks. It makes no sense to hire somebody back for more money just because they want to move to another state.

The reality is, SD is a place that doesn't pay people more money. SD is notorious for having the 'sunshine' tax, so if your former employer were smart, they would tell you to take the same pay or find a different job.

Good luck, but what you are asking, sounds a bit ridiculous to me. I know it's something that would make your life easier, but on the other side of the coin, it makes no sense for an employer to pay a former employee more money just because they want to move to California.

Old 03-15-2015, 02:45 PM

6,418 posts, read 11,560,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedro2000 View Post
The reality is, SD is a place that doesn't pay people more money. SD is notorious for having the 'sunshine' tax, so if your former employer were smart, they would tell you to take the same pay or find a different job.

Good luck, but what you are asking, sounds a bit ridiculous to me. I know it's something that would make your life easier, but on the other side of the coin, it makes no sense for an employer to pay a former employee more money just because they want to move to California.
It may sound ridiculous to you, but her former employer has already said they want her back and are willing to have her work from California. The OP is negotiating a new position, since it'll now need to be full time. Salary is reasonably a part of that negotiation. I think you're being overly pessimistic.

Old 03-15-2015, 05:52 PM

9 posts, read 10,037 times
I'm also from Boise and can't wait to get to San Diego. Please keep up to date with your progress.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
View detailed profiles of: