Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-07-2016, 05:29 AM

35 posts, read 77,975 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bloom View Post
a neigbhorhood subpart not separate
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cardiff Kook View Post
Its part of encinitas but has its own zip code...it doesn't extend nearly as far inland as other parts of encintas either
Gotcha, thank you for the responses! It looks to be a desirable place to live so I might check that out as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2016, 10:47 PM

1,148 posts, read 1,572,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightlysparrow View Post
And it's not just SD. It's state law that HOA fees can go up by 20%. EVERY year! Maybe not likely, but possible under law.

How Often Can They Raise Condo Association Fees? | Home Guides | SF Gate
Assessment Limitation
So after trashing SD, I have returned several times and realized my perception of the city was all in my head. I'd like to try living there. I just bought a condo in Sac, and hoping in 2-3 yrs to build up $30-40k in equity. I make mid $80k, potentially low 90k range by then. Would I have any realistic option for buying a decent condo there? I do see ones that look secent around little Italy and other places that look nice for around $300k. But tes, HOAs are outrageous. Other than that, what is the catch?

Old 03-24-2016, 08:03 PM

286 posts, read 295,133 times
Which areas can I looked for a one bedroom max rent of 1200 with half hour or less commute to San Diego airport ? And be safe at my place

Old 03-25-2016, 10:20 AM

15,129 posts, read 32,322,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tfriss92 View Post
Which areas can I looked for a one bedroom max rent of 1200 with half hour or less commute to San Diego airport ? And be safe at my place
You posted this before, and got answers. I replied to your post with suggestions, so you can look on Craigslist for apartments in your price range to see what's out there.

Old 03-27-2016, 08:36 AM

12,839 posts, read 9,562,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnAlt View Post
What you are missing is that some of the posters who reply in threads from potential residents typically inflate the cost of living here. They'll throw out numbers that are far above average, or are average for very desirable areas.
Looks that way. I have been looking online and looks like you can get decent stuff for ~2200 and even less. Maybe the ads are fake but I guess inflating the COL of your city is common here and makes the locals feel better.

Old 03-29-2016, 04:40 PM

2 posts, read 4,009 times
Most coastal areas in the US (and indeed, in much of the Western world - check out Australia for example!!) are becoming very expensive, and will likely remain so. More and more people want to live near the water and as the old saying goes "they aren't making any more land"!

Old 04-22-2016, 12:59 PM

160 posts, read 155,547 times
I agree with a lot of the OP's assessment of San Diego, and the surprise when well meaning people ask for a specific situation that everyone would jump all over if it existed, (close to the city, shopping, big, safe, ect, all for a grand a month).
I think people that come from other areas are used to 1200 square foot bungalows going for 700K and seeing cool downtown 1 bedroom apartment for $1800/month which approaches what is more typical of SD, but in other markets you can drive down the street, or go 15 mins away and the same types of properties are a 1/3 or half of that cost. Which isn't happening in SD.

This is my two cents--inventory for 1-2 million dollar homes is in excess of one year for San Diego. This is not typical for most other areas of the country, where it's much less. For our friends who love to talk about Texas and Colorado, many sought after areas there have seen a big increase in housing prices due to low inventories. North SD? Excess of 13 months. While i see things selling, there are many more examples of people who have tried unsuccessfully to put their house on the market, just to pull it off, relist it, still not sell.....It seems like there aren't enough buyers, or people aren't realistic with what their home would sell for.
It does seem like to sweet spot for a budget in SD is the one million plus, and that requires a household earning $250k per year with little debt and great credit to purchase a residence like that. Or someone who has substantial assets and wants to put them into a home. Though I don't expect the prices of the 90s to return (barring a depression) I do think some of the upper price points are ripe for a correction.

Old 05-05-2016, 11:31 PM

9,526 posts, read 30,475,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ndindy View Post
I agree with a lot of the OP's assessment of San Diego, and the surprise when well meaning people ask for a specific situation that everyone would jump all over if it existed, (close to the city, shopping, big, safe, ect, all for a grand a month).
I think people that come from other areas are used to 1200 square foot bungalows going for 700K and seeing cool downtown 1 bedroom apartment for $1800/month which approaches what is more typical of SD, but in other markets you can drive down the street, or go 15 mins away and the same types of properties are a 1/3 or half of that cost. Which isn't happening in SD.

This is my two cents--inventory for 1-2 million dollar homes is in excess of one year for San Diego. This is not typical for most other areas of the country, where it's much less. For our friends who love to talk about Texas and Colorado, many sought after areas there have seen a big increase in housing prices due to low inventories. North SD? Excess of 13 months. While i see things selling, there are many more examples of people who have tried unsuccessfully to put their house on the market, just to pull it off, relist it, still not sell.....It seems like there aren't enough buyers, or people aren't realistic with what their home would sell for.
It does seem like to sweet spot for a budget in SD is the one million plus, and that requires a household earning $250k per year with little debt and great credit to purchase a residence like that. Or someone who has substantial assets and wants to put them into a home. Though I don't expect the prices of the 90s to return (barring a depression) I do think some of the upper price points are ripe for a correction.
Very astute analysis. Even if you make 250k,you had better be damned sure that job is going to be there forever if you are going to bite off a 700,800,900k mortgage.

The stuff over 1MM sits for months and months, the stuff under 500k is plentiful if you are willing to make some sacrifices, but in the prime family homeowner range - 600, 700, even 800k it is a disaster.

Old 05-06-2016, 07:02 AM

771 posts, read 835,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassberto View Post
Very astute analysis. Even if you make 250k,you had better be damned sure that job is going to be there forever if you are going to bite off a 700,800,900k mortgage.

The stuff over 1MM sits for months and months, the stuff under 500k is plentiful if you are willing to make some sacrifices, but in the prime family homeowner range - 600, 700, even 800k it is a disaster.
What do you mean by a disaster? If you mean that lots of placed asking $700K seem to be dreaming, I agree. I also agree that once you get the $900-1000K price level, it seems there is more value there. I think this is because we're seeing the beginnings of a slow down, which typically starts at the top of the price chain and works its way down.

I think a lot of homes on the market--especially in the 650-850K range--are either "hopefully priced" by people who bought 5+ years ago or "cover my cost priced" by people who bought more recently. The former figure they'll dangle it out there and see if they can make a quick, easy $100-300K and the latter need to move and expect to cover their original purchase price plus realtor fees/et cetera.

Old 05-06-2016, 10:06 PM

1,600 posts, read 939,244 times
Do people feel buying a house right now isn't the best idea? I'm still renting and have saved a bunch for a downpayment, but I'm sort of nervous to take the plunge and overpay for a house here in the Poway School District. I'm fine renting for another year or two to see what happens, but I don't want prices to keep skyrocketing. All of the logic in my head says this market is overpriced...especially in the 700-900K range.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego