Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-16-2018, 08:55 PM

987 posts, read 779,652 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
I'm just a dumb Californian so someone will have to explain to me how it can be snowing at 50F. Wouldn't it be, well, raining instead?
Maybee he made an oopsie typo
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2018, 10:57 AM

8,390 posts, read 7,646,246 times
Um, folks? This is the San Diego forum and the topic of this thread is San Diego real estate.

If you want to argue about the weather in Tennessee, perhaps start a thread in the TENNESSEE forum.

Discussing the weather in Tennessee (or anywhere else) isn't going to help people looking in the San Diego forum and in this thread for information about SAN DIEGO REAL ESTATE.

So, let's get back on topic, shall we?

Old 03-18-2018, 06:19 PM

18,172 posts, read 16,398,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
I'm just a dumb Californian so someone will have to explain to me how it can be snowing at 50F. Wouldn't it be, well, raining instead?
It was 50 by the afternoon. In the early AM it was above freezing but the sky was much colder and it was snowing. It did not stick. The last snow I saw that day was just before noon. Usually one snow a year that sticks around in some areas for a week. Usually a few snows that melt that day or the next. Kinda fun actually.

It just snowed in OC, but it wan't that cold there.

Old 03-19-2018, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by expatCA View Post
It was 50 by the afternoon. In the early AM it was above freezing but the sky was much colder and it was snowing. It did not stick. The last snow I saw that day was just before noon. Usually one snow a year that sticks around in some areas for a week. Usually a few snows that melt that day or the next. Kinda fun actually.

It just snowed in OC, but it wan't that cold there.
Expat, guess you overlooked my post above. This is a thread about SAN DIEGO REAL ESTATE PRICES, not the weather in Tennessee. If you'd like to discuss that, perhaps you could start a thread in the TN forum?

It would be nice if we stay on topic here, so that people who are looking for information on SAN DIEGO real estate won't have to wade through posts about the weather in TN.

So, let's continue on with discussing San Diego real estate prices.

Here's a fun little look at SD real estate prices back in 1977:

From the Archives: San Diego's Real Estate Market in 1977 - San Diego Magazine - March 2018 - San Diego, California

And for something a little more current:

San Diego Real Estate Prices Climb Amid Lower Inventory

The median price of a single-family home in San Diego rose 3 percent between January and February to $614,000 amid continued sluggish sales due to low inventory.

That was the latest report from the Greater San Diego Association of Realtors, which said Wednesday single-family home sales totaled 1,337 in February, nearly the same as 1,339 in January despite fewer days in the month. But year-over-year, sales were down 12 percent.

Prices for condominiums and townhomes rose 5 percent month-to-month to a median of $426,000 — the highest ever.

Old 03-20-2018, 05:10 PM

18,172 posts, read 16,398,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RosieSD View Post
Expat, guess you overlooked my post above. This is a thread about SAN DIEGO REAL ESTATE PRICES, not the weather in Tennessee. If you'd like to discuss that, perhaps you could start a thread in the TN forum?

It would be nice if we stay on topic here, so that people who are looking for information on SAN DIEGO real estate won't have to wade through posts about the weather in TN.

So, let's continue on with discussing San Diego real estate prices.

Here's a fun little look at SD real estate prices back in 1977:

From the Archives: San Diego's Real Estate Market in 1977 - San Diego Magazine - March 2018 - San Diego, California

And for something a little more current:

San Diego Real Estate Prices Climb Amid Lower Inventory

The median price of a single-family home in San Diego rose 3 percent between January and February to $614,000 amid continued sluggish sales due to low inventory.

That was the latest report from the Greater San Diego Association of Realtors, which said Wednesday single-family home sales totaled 1,337 in February, nearly the same as 1,339 in January despite fewer days in the month. But year-over-year, sales were down 12 percent.

Prices for condominiums and townhomes rose 5 percent month-to-month to a median of $426,000 — the highest ever.
Actually my post was about the costs of utilities in SD which have been claimed to be low due to the weather. The further inland in SD you go the house prices "may" be lower but utility costs can go up.So it was not really about TN, just a comparison about costs in SD. But I agree no post should be totally unrelated to the main theme.

I Lived in SD County in 1977 and yes the housing prices were like that. However in Escondido, in new tracts, prices were going up every 3 months $5000.00. Imagine a $20,000 increase in price in one year on houses between say $70,000 and $80,000 in January of that year. Waiting lines at the sales office before they even broke ground on a new section.

Old 03-21-2018, 01:22 PM

3,563 posts, read 5,377,574 times
Default welcome to the ENTIRE west coast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cardiff Kook View Post
Get em....25th Hour type rant

Good post though
Where was that post where the two working people were in credit rating tank and their rent (military base?) was 300. a month!!!
WEST COAST rents have been insane for decades. You either live with exteneded family and like it, or you bunk up with fellow students or millenials like a German submarine: one goes to bed and the other leaves for work. Downtwon Vancouver, bC has been like that for a quarter of a CENTURY now.

Yea, I don't know where everyones' been. Des Moines? Wichita?

Old 03-22-2018, 09:50 PM

6,438 posts, read 6,918,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thedwightguy View Post
Where was that post where the two working people were in credit rating tank and their rent (military base?) was 300. a month!!!
WEST COAST rents have been insane for decades. You either live with exteneded family and like it, or you bunk up with fellow students or millenials like a German submarine: one goes to bed and the other leaves for work. Downtwon Vancouver, bC has been like that for a quarter of a CENTURY now.

Yea, I don't know where everyones' been. Des Moines? Wichita?
or get a job that pays more than $300 a month. My rent was $200 about then, and I lived well on a young MBA's paycheck for part-time consulting.

Old 03-26-2018, 09:16 AM

31 posts, read 36,599 times
That is why I'm leaving SD. I moved down here from minneapolis 6 months ago, my only reason is because of the nice SD weather, so I looked for a job down here and finally found one (I'm in IT). Don't get me wrong, San Diego scenery is beautiful and the weather here is very nice, but you'll pay the price. In my own opinion, it's not worth it. Even if we can afford to buy a house down here, t will compromise our savings, retirement accounts and our life style in Minneapolis (we love to travel and explore the world out there). I still have a house in minneapolis, I kept that as my back out plan. SD property (or california in general) are really expensive! You can buy a house somewhere else for half the price, double the size and 20 to 30 years newer, not to mention all the money you can stash to your savings and retirement account and live the life. I think SD (california in general) is a place to live for people making serious money, however, for middle class people this is a good place to visit but not to live.

Last edited by Zer0Zer0; 03-26-2018 at 09:36 AM..

Old 03-26-2018, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zer0Zer0 View Post
That is why I'm leaving SD. I moved down here from minneapolis 6 months ago, my only reason is because of the nice SD weather, so I looked for a job down here and finally found one (I'm in IT). Don't get me wrong, San Diego scenery is beautiful and the weather here is very nice, but you'll pay the price. In my own opinion, it's not worth it. Even if we can afford to buy a house down here, t will compromise our savings, retirement accounts and our life style in Minneapolis (we love to travel and explore the world out there). I still have a house in minneapolis, I kept that as my back out plan. SD property (or california in general) are really expensive! You can buy a house somewhere else for half the price, double the size and 20 to 30 years newer, not to mention all the money you can stash to your savings and retirement account and live the life. I think SD (california in general) is a place to live for people making serious money, however, for middle class people this is a good place to visit but not to live.
Sorry that you've decided that San Diego isn't the right place for you.

I'm curious though: didn't you do any research on the cost of living here before you decided to move here six months ago? Did you just load up the car and head down to San Diego hoping for the best?

Good luck with your move back to MN.

Old 03-26-2018, 03:36 PM

31 posts, read 36,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RosieSD View Post
Sorry that you've decided that San Diego isn't the right place for you.

I'm curious though: didn't you do any research on the cost of living here before you decided to move here six months ago? Did you just load up the car and head down to San Diego hoping for the best?

Good luck with your move back to MN.
Yes, I actually did a lot of research and lots of negotiations with my employer to make sure we can afford to buy a property here. The decision to go back is not just because of the high cost of living in SD though, there are other factors since I am able to compare how it's like to live on both places.

I did a lot of planning before I moved here, I've been here 10 years ago and fell in love with the city, then before I actually moved here I was travelling back and forth looking for a temporary place to live. So everything was planned accordingly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego