Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2015, 12:56 PM

2,986 posts, read 4,575,132 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hitman619 View Post
You where one of the actual few that came back right?
I'm still here
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2015, 12:58 PM

9,807 posts, read 11,134,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moved View Post
All of this is not necessarily true. I'm a single female, sometimes I work nights, I go at night, and have never been bothered. And I come in very late, after sometimes working an event in the Gaslamp.

I like living in Barrio Logan much better than when I lived in City Heights. There's more crime in City Heights than there is in Barrio Logan where I live. It might not appeal to you, but it appeals to me.

But apparently, even though you don't live in San Diego, you're an expert on all of the areas. Everyone where I live speaks English, so don't jump to conclusions about what you posted, because it's not always true.
You are getting defensive and it shows. I don't care one bit about your particular neighborhood.

Market forces dictate rental prices and they are based on supply and demand. There is little demand to live in the areas being discussed due to undesirability. This is not based on what I like, which is entirely irrelevant and I don't know why you are raising it; it is based on what most people like including the posters. Do you not understand that?

Hi Guys! I am 34 from Ohio and cannot wait to move to San Diego! I love the beach OMG my favorite! I am a beach person! I want to live in an area that is not safe, has few amenities, is far from the ocean or at least doesn't have close access to it, is gang ridden, has awful schools, is industrial, has helicopters flying overhead, etc. My budget is 1000/month, which is a lot here in rural Ohio, but I can maybe pay up to 1,200.

Old 03-19-2015, 02:39 PM

15 posts, read 40,354 times
This is a great and informative post but please, for the love of god, do NOT just link this post to people asking questions about moving to SD unless it is truly warranted. This forum is a place to get real advice and information and if you just start posting this thread to everyone interested in moving to SD you are doing a GREAT disservice.

Old 03-19-2015, 03:21 PM

15,128 posts, read 32,307,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvSouthOC View Post
You are getting defensive and it shows. I don't care one bit about your particular neighborhood.

Market forces dictate rental prices and they are based on supply and demand. There is little demand to live in the areas being discussed due to undesirability. This is not based on what I like, which is entirely irrelevant and I don't know why you are raising it; it is based on what most people like including the posters. Do you not understand that?

Hi Guys! I am 34 from Ohio and cannot wait to move to San Diego! I love the beach OMG my favorite! I am a beach person! I want to live in an area that is not safe, has few amenities, is far from the ocean or at least doesn't have close access to it, is gang ridden, has awful schools, is industrial, has helicopters flying overhead, etc. My budget is 1000/month, which is a lot here in rural Ohio, but I can maybe pay up to 1,200.
You're wrong on all counts. Apartments for rent in my area don't last long, but you wouldn't know that, and technically, you know nothing, unless it's something that YOU'RE interested in.

My area isn't gang ridden, everyone speaks English, yes, there is some industrial, but it depends on the block, there are two major grocery stores less than a mile away, there's plenty of parking, and NO helicopters flying overhead, but there were when I lived in City Heights.

As for the schools, do you work for the school district? If not, don't comment, because I used to work for that particular district, and I can tell you all about the kids in the schools in all of the areas.

You're just speculating from what you've read, Moderator cut: see note

If people want to live in the up and coming areas, they have to pay the price. I choose not to, and don't even like those areas. I happen to live where I live. I like not having to drive everywhere, having the last bus leaving at 2am to get me home from work if I choose to work at night. I have the convenience that the other areas will never have.

You're insinuating that all low income people live in the ghetto, doesn't speak English, don't keep up their residences, have kids that drop out of school, and never make anything of themselves, but you actually know nothing about it.

are lots of people who are willing to live in a lower income area to live in San Diego, but that's something that you don't even know about that, Moderator cut: see note

Last edited by Count David; 03-19-2015 at 06:04 PM.. Reason: personal; you can get your point across without getting personal about it.

Old 03-19-2015, 03:34 PM

2,634 posts, read 3,691,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VTPC83 View Post
This is a great and informative post but please, for the love of god, do NOT just link this post to people asking questions about moving to SD unless it is truly warranted. This forum is a place to get real advice and information and if you just start posting this thread to everyone interested in moving to SD you are doing a GREAT disservice.
VTP, you said it better than I ever could but I'm going to post anyway.

I read the OP post and the comments that were on this thread before I left this morning to go shopping. I was appalled at people's lack of understanding and compassion. However, I didn't comment because I didn't want to get involved. But it has bothered me off and on all day, so I came back just now to put in my 2 cents.

People want to come to CA for a better life or better weather or both. (Those of you who have never experienced an East Coast or Midwest winter have no idea how tiring it can be, year after year.) I'll grant that the OPs could do their own research and/or look up recent threads on 'moving to CA'. Everyday someone posts asking questions about moving to SD/California, and their expectations are not realistic. But does it really inconvenience anyone to be friendly and informative? When I was thinking of moving to Pittsburgh, I was on that topic for 6-12 months, and the residents, who post on C-D, were the nicest, most helpful people I've ever found on C/D. SD/California posters could take a few lessons, to say the least.

Old 03-19-2015, 04:13 PM

25 posts, read 41,199 times
Interesting thread, very useful for newcomers . I am also moving to SD soon and looking for a place to live in. Which parts of SD are seen as "bad"? I think, I will start a new threat about this.

Old 03-19-2015, 04:19 PM

6,496 posts, read 7,525,332 times
Moderator cut: see note

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTPC83 View Post
I am of the opinion that if one feels the post is ridiculous, just don't reply to it. Let them keep asking about $350 K houses in safe neighborhoods near the coast and I will keep posting examples in Encanto and National City.

Last edited by Count David; 03-19-2015 at 06:30 PM.. Reason: forum is team moderated

Old 03-19-2015, 04:24 PM

I grew up in the DC area, so I know what the East Coast winters are like.

Old 03-19-2015, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oreczka View Post
Interesting thread, very useful for newcomers . I am also moving to SD soon and looking for a place to live in. Which parts of SD are seen as "bad"? I think, I will start a new threat about this.
It depends on what you consider "bad." There's lower income, and there's bad. It all depends on what you want and your budget.

Old 03-19-2015, 04:30 PM

10,090 posts, read 42,405,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hitman619 View Post
You where one of the actual few that came back right?

I DID!!!!!!!!!! But we also did our homework and knew EXACTLY what we were getting into. No regrets!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego