U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 11-08-2006, 11:12 AM

6 posts, read 31,251 times

Advertisements

i know the distance... but how long of a drive is it when you factor in traffic? I am moving from Massacusetts to California early next year for work. I will be working all along the west coast and about 25% of my work will be in Thousand Oaks or SD. I would like to be able to drive to either city from where I would live. It would make most sense to pick a place in between those two cities but I would like to be in SD if possible. If it is too far, which i kinda already know it is, then what cities should i look at? I am 23, single, making 50k (is 50K enough? ive looked at all relocation advice junk and it says 50K is enough to maintain my standard of living but i dont fully trust it) and looking for an area with younger people. ive heard huntington beach and costa mesa....

thanks.
Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2006, 11:24 AM

7,160 posts, read 18,444,452 times
It varies widely. If you are going from Downtown SD to Downtown LA I would budget 2-3 hours. The worst traffic is the 5N from about Santa Fe Springs to Downtown LA... a big slow trench.

We go to LBC a lot and it's usually around 90 minutes.... we take the 73 which helps. however I have been stuck on the 405 at 9:30 at night so you never know

A good middle ground is Southern Orange County or Carlsbad / North SD county area.

Old 11-08-2006, 09:29 PM

64 posts, read 159,629 times
I've lived in both places, and I think that would be an insane commute no matter how you split it up. It would take three to five hours to drive from SD to Thousand Oaks, so no matter where you live you would have a two hour commute, and 50 k won't go very far with that type of commute. I would recommend living close to one and making the drive to the other when required, at least you wouldn't spend every day driving that far..

Old 11-08-2006, 10:45 PM

291 posts, read 884,488 times
Default Listen to sanddawg.

I grew up in L.A. and live in San Diego's North County now. I wouldn't dream of commuting from S.D. to L.A. or beyond. My sister lives in the San Fernando Valley (N of L.A. proper) and used to commute to Camarillo, which is not too far from Thousand Oaks. Sometimes at night, it would take her 45+ minutes to go only 20 miles on the 101... and I doubt that traffic has gotten any better in the past couple of years since she quit that job. You will have to weigh the "quality of life" issues here. Will it bother you to be spending 2-4 hours/day commuting?

Old 11-09-2006, 09:43 AM

6 posts, read 31,251 times
hmmm

Well i would expect to do this about 1 week every month... my job involves a lot of travel as it is and being able to drive to work means being able to come home and sleep in my own bed instead of a hotel. so for one week a month i think i would be willing to drive 2-4 hrs a day if thats what the commute is. as for the 50k being stretched thin on this type of commute... that wont be a problem as all my travel expenses are paid for and it should save the company money by not having to put me up in a hotel (and i actually make money on the gallon for driving.. sweet).

so this is what i have gathered so far...

i can have 2-4 hr commute one week a month if i live between the two areas (OC-ish) or
i can do a 5 hr drive averaging one week every two months living in SD.

is that correct? can i base my decision on that?

Old 11-09-2006, 05:56 PM

752 posts, read 2,429,382 times
I live in San Marcos and work in downtown LA, so I have a good feel for that part of the area. It's a minimum of 1:40 each way, with most trips (at night) about 2:15. Traffic thins nicely at the LA-Orange County line, so the key is finding either a job or a home that is drivable to/from that county divide.

Old 11-19-2006, 06:47 PM

55 posts, read 243,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanddawgg View Post
I've lived in both places, and I think that would be an insane commute no matter how you split it up. It would take three to five hours to drive from SD to Thousand Oaks, so no matter where you live you would have a two hour commute, and 50 k won't go very far with that type of commute. I would recommend living close to one and making the drive to the other when required, at least you wouldn't spend every day driving that far..
I agree with this person, but if you want to split the difference, you may want to look in south Orange/Huntington Beach/Irvine area.

Old 11-24-2006, 07:49 PM

3,002 posts, read 10,203,809 times
SD to LA is brutal....hell, I wouldn't want to commute from LA from South Orange County and it is an hour closer.

Forget what you know about traffic...until you see LA rush hour traffic.....

Huntington beach and Costa Mesa would be a good compromise. Both are pretty cool spots to be single as well. Be warned though, 50k does not go that far in California. You may want to get a roomate and share a nice 2Bdr.

Old 12-16-2006, 12:51 AM

14 posts, read 83,924 times
it takes abt 3 to 4 hours.

Old 12-22-2006, 07:46 PM

1,868 posts, read 3,937,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yes636 View Post
i know the distance... but how long of a drive is it when you factor in traffic? I am moving from Massacusetts to California early next year for work. I will be working all along the west coast and about 25% of my work will be in Thousand Oaks or SD. I would like to be able to drive to either city from where I would live. It would make most sense to pick a place in between those two cities but I would like to be in SD if possible. If it is too far, which i kinda already know it is, then what cities should i look at? I am 23, single, making 50k (is 50K enough? ive looked at all relocation advice junk and it says 50K is enough to maintain my standard of living but i dont fully trust it) and looking for an area with younger people. ive heard huntington beach and costa mesa....

thanks.
Oh dear......I lived in Agoura Hills (right next to Thousand Oaks) and it can take 3 hours just to get to LAX!! The 101 is murder!! People actually knit blankets in traffic!! lol (not kidding though) Just being honest.....if you have to do it on a regular basis you definately don't want to commute from TO to SD. 50K should be ok if you don't have alot of bills and your single.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego