Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-25-2015, 07:21 AM

4,294 posts, read 4,390,588 times

Advertisements

I appreciate this story....an overpriced grocery store gets the boot from consumers. This is what capitalism is all about. Where I come from (NYC) you wouldn't have such power as a consumer since there are very few grocery stores in Manhattan. You would be forced to pay exorbitant prices for just about everything. SD has many affordable choices that allows consumers to choose for themselves where to shop.

Grocery shopping used to be a nightmare for me between trying to find affordable items to navigating huge check out lines. SD has been a dream come true....endless aisles of affordable food and no out of control crowds.

I feel sorry for the laid off workers though. Hopefully they all find new jobs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2015, 09:57 AM

15,111 posts, read 32,143,493 times
It was on the news last night that around 1200 employees are going to lose their jobs.

Old 09-25-2015, 10:14 AM

2,382 posts, read 5,374,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moved View Post
It was on the news last night that around 1200 employees are going to lose their jobs.
That's too bad. And I'm sure that it will be a hardship on people who rely on their local grocery store, esp those without cars...

We went a few months ago to look at some houses over in the rolling Hills /San Miguel ranch area of Chula Vista. Husband asked where the nearest grocery store was.... I was (I thought) more familiar wit the area and said "Oh , there's a Albertsons right up the road" I was shocked to see that the storefront was vacant when we went to the Starbucks over there...

I can't speak as if their prices were high - never went in one, didn't even know thy existed til it was over. If I had known - I might have taken a peek. I always like to check out new grocery stores and see if they carry anything in their ethnic foods sections that I crave from trips abroad

Old 09-25-2015, 11:26 AM

9,787 posts, read 11,443,293 times
I bet Walmart is already calling dibs on some of these closed stores.

Old 09-25-2015, 01:21 PM

6,478 posts, read 7,433,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moved View Post
Too bad for them but it was a nice ride for those union employees while it lasted, I remember when I first came to San Diego in Aug of 2003, all the union stores were on strike, it was a big mess.

A big part of why I avoid shopping at the big 3 is that they are overpriced due to all the overhead, a grocery bagger probably shouldn't be making $16 dollars an hour.

I am fine with shopping at Grocery Outlet, Food 4 Less, Wal-Mart Pantry, Target and Sprouts. There is so much competition that one can easily avoid these big 3 (big 4 for 5 months) stores, and that is not even taking into consideration places like Jimbo's, Trader Joes and Whole Foods or the ethnic markets like 99 Ranch, Zion, Sea Food City, and North Gate Gonzales.

Last edited by malcorub16; 09-25-2015 at 01:33 PM..

Old 09-25-2015, 01:33 PM

10,137 posts, read 17,400,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malcorub16 View Post
Too bad for them but it was a nice ride for those union employees while it lasted, I remember when I first came to San Diego in Aug of 2003, all the union stores were on strike, it was a big mess.

A big part of why I avoid shopping at the big 3 is that they are overpriced due to all the overhead, a grocery bagger probably shouldn't be making $16 dollars an hour. I am fine with shopping at Grocery Outlet, Food 4 Less, Wal-Mart Pantry, Target and Sprouts. There is so much competition that one can easily avoid these big 3 (big 4 for 5 months) stores, and that is not even taking into consideration places like Jimbo's, Trader Joes and Whole Foods.
I honestly want to support the union guys because I want ppl to live decent but it's 2-3 x more than shopping at Walmart down the street in Irvine and the service isn't much better.

I went to Ralph's and Albertsons and now to get a discount you have to buy 4-5 of the items so what's the point since that is going the route of the big box stores demanding you buy in volume to get a discount........the thing is they want you to buy 4-5 items and there is almost no discount and the service ain't much better these days honestly.

And while this is in OC not SD the issues are the same basically just a county over.

Old 09-25-2015, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teckeeee View Post
I honestly want to support the union guys because I want ppl to live decent but it's 2-3 x more than shopping at Walmart down the street in Irvine and the service isn't much better.

I went to Ralph's and Albertsons and now to get a discount you have to buy 4-5 of the items so what's the point since that is going the route of the big box stores demanding you buy in volume to get a discount........the thing is they want you to buy 4-5 items and there is almost no discount and the service ain't much better these days honestly.

And while this is in OC not SD the issues are the same basically just a county over.
Same region, same problems. It's nice to help support their decent living but we have to live decently as well.

Quote:
I am fine with shopping at Grocery Outlet, Food 4 Less, Wal-Mart Pantry, Target and Sprouts. There is so much competition that one can easily avoid these big 3 (big 4 for 5 months) stores, and that is not even taking into consideration places like Jimbo's, Trader Joes and Whole Foods or the ethnic markets like 99 Ranch, Zion, Sea Food City, and North Gate Gonzales.

I forgot the almighty Costco.

Old 09-25-2015, 01:59 PM

155 posts, read 232,549 times
It'll be fun to see what takes the place of the closed stores...I'm hoping for a Sprouts in Mira Mesa. The area doesn't have one for unknown reasons...sadly, I don't anticipate Sprouts taking the place of the Haggen here since its too large.

Old 09-25-2015, 02:10 PM

^^^Vihn Hung might finally be able to move out of the old movie theatre.

Quote:

I forgot the almighty Costco.

...and I forgot Smart and Final which we shop at on occasion now that Fresh and Easy is gone.

Old 09-25-2015, 02:15 PM

9,787 posts, read 11,443,293 times
Quote:

A big part of why I avoid shopping at the big 3 is that they are overpriced due to all the overhead, a grocery bagger probably shouldn't be making $16 dollars an hour.

Love North gate Market
If Albertsons/Vons Got rid of all their Union workers(That day is coming sooner than you think)
Do you really truly believe and trust that Albertsons/Vons will give you the lowest price?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego