Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-15-2015, 12:57 PM

2 posts, read 2,349 times

Advertisements

Hi all-

I just got a residency spot at UCSD, so I'll be working over 50% of my time at the hospital in Hillcrest, but spending some time at the Thornton campus and VA medical center in La Jolla. I'm moving from the northeast, without much first-hand knowledge of San Diego.

My priorities are:

1) 1 bedroom or loft. No roommates.
2) Cost. Under 1600/month is pretty much necessary, 1400 would be better.
3) Commute. I can handle 25 minutes, but I don't want to be sitting in traffic for an hour twice a day.
4) Proximity to my girlfriend, who is likely moving to North Park. We don't need to live next door to each other, but I don't want to run up against another 45 minutes of driving to see each other.

Beyond that, I would love to be close to the beach, be able to park (or have off street parking), and have some privacy. But I'm flexible on all of that to fulfill the top 4.

I'm wondering if it will be possible to live in Ocean Beach? I love the idea of being able to walk to the beach, but I don't want to deal with the frat scene I hear about in PB. But I'm concerned about being able to get to Hillcrest during rush hours and to my girlfriend after work/on weekends.

If anybody knows the Boston area, I loved Central Square and Davis Square in Cambridge. Slightly funky, cute, vibrant but not rowdy.

Any thoughts?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2015, 01:03 PM

3,545 posts, read 6,008,612 times
With that price range you'll be able to find a 1 bedroom in most of the central neighborhoods. North Park, South Park, Hillcrest, University Heights, Normal Heights, Golden hill, Banker's hill, Downtown, etc are all good for you. No freeway commute at all, you could easily ride a bike or take a bus to work from any of those areas (some people would argue about being able to bike from downtown- it's not far, but you would have to go up one very long hill, so that would just depend on where you're at with the biking), and the beach isn't terribly far (I live in North Park and spend all summer at the beach )

Good luck!

Old 04-15-2015, 04:20 PM

4,526 posts, read 12,347,368 times
Everywhere Jenkay said. My personal top choices would be Hillcrest, University Heights, and Normal Heights. These are closest to work, and all of them have local business districts to allow you quick meals when the hours at work get too long to cook at home, and you can't stand the thought of another hospital meal.

Hillcrest is probably the most expensive - maybe even too expensive if you aren't willing to live in a tired old apartment. It has the most new construction multi-family. It's expensive because the hospitals create a rent halo in the immediate vicinity pushing up the rates. It's commercial areas are fully developed and offer pretty much everything.

University Heights is the quietest of the three. The commercial area is the smallest. It would be close to work and your girlfriend. You might even be able to find a route to bike to work. I really like the area, and would put it as my top choice.

Normal Heights is the funkiest of the three neighborhoods, the lowest cost, and the furthest of the three from the hospital. It has a dynamic business district along Adams Avenue that is really coming into its own over the past 15 years. Lots of rental opportunities, though not of the highest quality.

Old 04-15-2015, 08:49 PM

1,180 posts, read 3,116,061 times
The above suggestions are excellent. Also check out Little Italy.

Old 04-16-2015, 05:50 PM

2 posts, read 2,349 times
Thanks for the replies.

Do you guys think Ocean Beach or Pacific Beach is foolish? I like the idea of being so close to the water.

Old 04-16-2015, 06:50 PM

813 posts, read 1,266,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moving_to_sd View Post
Thanks for the replies.

Do you guys think Ocean Beach or Pacific Beach is foolish? I like the idea of being so close to the water.
You had mentioned in your first post that you want privacy. I was in OB today, and actually thought about how the housing is even more on top of each other than most places, and the lack of privacy. If you want a chance at some quiet, the beach may not be the place to live.

Old 04-16-2015, 09:20 PM

1,300 posts, read 2,015,966 times
A lot of people don't consider North Park close to the beach but it is closer than you think. When I lived in North Park, I could drive from house, down Pershing Rd, onto the 5 south, across the bridge and be in Coronado in about 10 minutes.

There are plenty of people that live in the beach area and love it but I would never do it. Why:

Too crowded, especially during the summer and spring break.
The weather is not the best in San Diego...usually overcast until noon.
Overpriced in an already overpriced city in an overpriced region.
Vagrants and almost homeless.
Drunks and partiers....all night-every night.
Traffic
Parking
Pacific, Mission and Ocean Beach have terrible access in and out. You will spend a half hour just getting out of the beach area going to work in the morning. Check out the lineup in the morning at Grand and Garnet just to get on the 5. OB is the same at Pt Loma Blvd.

Old 04-17-2015, 01:38 PM

3,545 posts, read 6,008,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by echo42 View Post
A lot of people don't consider North Park close to the beach but it is closer than you think. When I lived in North Park, I could drive from house, down Pershing Rd, onto the 5 south, across the bridge and be in Coronado in about 10 minutes.

There are plenty of people that live in the beach area and love it but I would never do it. Why:

Too crowded, especially during the summer and spring break.
The weather is not the best in San Diego...usually overcast until noon.
Overpriced in an already overpriced city in an overpriced region.
Vagrants and almost homeless.
Drunks and partiers....all night-every night.
Traffic
Parking
Pacific, Mission and Ocean Beach have terrible access in and out. You will spend a half hour just getting out of the beach area going to work in the morning. Check out the lineup in the morning at Grand and Garnet just to get on the 5. OB is the same at Pt Loma Blvd.
Not to mention getting home after work in the afternoon. Tack on another 30 minutes in that end.

Old 04-18-2015, 08:18 AM

1,300 posts, read 2,015,966 times
I would just try to find something as close as possible to UCSD in Hillcrest within your price range and use it as a base of operations to explore the city and neighborhoods until you find something more permanent. I wouldn't get hung up on appearance or square footage. You will find yourself outdoors and away from home a lot, so finding the "perfect place" should not be an issue-just look for the perfect location first. Get out and enjoy the weather and everything San Diego has to offer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego