Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2015, 03:11 PM

10,090 posts, read 42,420,868 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
I spent days, not 45 min, at our area before we bought. This has saved us from living by:

A College
A bus route
A loud jh school
A flight path
A train

We did the same . In fact, we parked and walked the neighborhood and sat in different parts of the neighborhood. LOL..one neighbor even came out to investigate us. It is a standing joke at neighborhood gatherings. We were concerned about the Pendleton noise. Thankfully, we are rarely bothered. Just appears to be a distant thunder noise for us. I know others are not so lucky.

I can't imagine spending 45 minutes and deciding to buy. I guess Buyer beware...now you know why the previous owner sold.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2015, 03:15 PM

7,409 posts, read 6,553,115 times
that's all true about spending more time, but for the OP the horse has already left the barn...he can try and be proactive and possibly effect flight paths and times of helicopters through communications efforts....maybe he will be successful/maybe not....heck, the citizenry of Newport Beach were successful in altering flight takeoff patterns at John Wayne Airport through noise abatement policies...hard, but not impossible to do.

Old 04-17-2015, 03:24 PM

2,986 posts, read 4,577,410 times
with the way the market is moving these days, you don't necessarily have a lot of time to sit and think about a house. a lot of properties that are priced right in desirable areas are off the market in a matter of days, often times with multiple offers.

i guess you could always back out once you are in escrow but that's a different story..

I know there was a lot of interest in the house we bought and had to act quickly and put in our best offer. I'm glad we did too because we are now completely priced out of this zip code a year later.

Old 04-17-2015, 03:59 PM

148 posts, read 279,667 times
have you tried "White Noise Machine"? I've never owned one but you might give it a try.

Old 04-17-2015, 04:24 PM

50,289 posts, read 47,043,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cardiff Kook View Post
with the way the market is moving these days, you don't necessarily have a lot of time to sit and think about a house. a lot of properties that are priced right in desirable areas are off the market in a matter of days, often times with multiple offers.

i guess you could always back out once you are in escrow but that's a different story..

I know there was a lot of interest in the house we bought and had to act quickly and put in our best offer. I'm glad we did too because we are now completely priced out of this zip code a year later.
True, but you at least knew the area you wanted to live in. We did that too. But, airports don't move So map those out in advance.

Old 04-17-2015, 04:47 PM

317 posts, read 1,758,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malcorub16 View Post
I live in Lakeside South of the 67 so we are in the flight path of Gillespie Field as they come in for landings. Luckily, where we are at, the airplanes (don't usually hear/see choppers) do not fly at such low elevations as they still have a couple of miles before landing. Also, the planes tend to be smaller from single engine planes to private jets so they are not very noisey.

Ocassionally there will be air shows with the older model airplanes, those tend to make a lot of noise as they fly around some times up to 5-6 at one time.

Don't know what to tell you... but I thought I would share my experiences with the same airplanes.

Do you live in Sky Ranch area which overlooks the airport?
I'm in Morningside, it's about 4 blocks west of Sonic and 4 blocks east of Phil's, just off Mission Gorge/Cottonwood...

Old 04-17-2015, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShelbyGirl1 View Post
We did the same . In fact, we parked and walked the neighborhood and sat in different parts of the neighborhood. LOL..one neighbor even came out to investigate us. It is a standing joke at neighborhood gatherings. We were concerned about the Pendleton noise. Thankfully, we are rarely bothered. Just appears to be a distant thunder noise for us. I know others are not so lucky.

I can't imagine spending 45 minutes and deciding to buy. I guess Buyer beware...now you know why the previous owner sold.
You're telling me. The joke of it all is that I'm extremely detailed and I normally would do something like that (camp out there for several hours to survey the property, scope out the neighbors, etc). This was my first home purchase and I perhaps trusted my realtor a little too much. He was well aware how particular I am with noises (I was not interested in 2 really nice places just because of light street noise). I assumed (dumb of me) he would give me a heads up if this was a bad area noise wise. You live and learn. I can't change the past but I need to figure a plan to preserve my insanity. This is so frustrating. What's weird is ALL AROUND Santee, the planes and helicopters are So Loud. I don't remember it being this way last year when I checked out the town multiple times. It's really a distraction/nuisance and frustrating. Sorry to vent. I also did call Gillespie field and the city and they gave me the run around.
There's supposedly some 'noise abadement' rule that prohibits air traffic after 11pm and before 7am but clearly that's not being enforced. Those helicopters are like clockwork at the top of the hour from 10pm, 11pm, 12am, 1am and sometimes even later. Grr

Old 04-17-2015, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by photo4fun View Post
have you tried "White Noise Machine"? I've never owned one but you might give it a try.
I actually have one and it helps a lot at night to drown out the noise to sleep. But during the day it's so hard to focus. I like to work in quiet and now I find myself turning up music or a TV to compete with the buzzing copters and planes to no avail.

Old 04-17-2015, 09:32 PM

22,661 posts, read 24,599,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dakicka View Post
I actually have one and it helps a lot at night to drown out the noise to sleep. But during the day it's so hard to focus. I like to work in quiet and now I find myself turning up music or a TV to compete with the buzzing copters and planes to no avail.

Yeah, that sucks.

Maybe send some money and hire a noise reduction consultant to give you a gameplan on reducing noise in your place???? Then you can gradually implement the recommendations!

Old 09-24-2015, 04:34 PM

1 posts, read 1,235 times
The Morningside community you chose to live in is very nice but is only a few blocks north of the county-owned airport in El Cajon. Did you not know of the airport when you researched the area before buying? When I bought my home in Santee 12 years ago, my realtor provided a disclosure form for the property which informed me of a nearby fire station and airport.

I live around 2 miles northwest of your location and like you, am sensitive to noise in the environment and happen to be a light sleeper as well. I rarely hear planes or helicopters after sundown and when I do, it is on a very sporadic basis to the point I don't even remember the last time one of them woke me up during the night. Daylight hours do are usually punctuated with frequent small planes overhead. By the time they reach my area they have usually leveled off and therefore do not emit the level of noise you no doubt endure next to their take-off zone. With real estate, location is key. You may have to move to obtain the level of quiet you desire.

When I lived in San Diego on Friars Road west of Fashion Valley Mall, the seemingly constant vehicle traffic made it difficult to sleep, which I handled pretty well by wearing soft foam earplugs and leaving a fan on in the bedroom each night as background (white) noise. Hopefully you will find relief that way too or by using other options available to you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego