Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2015, 01:31 PM

128 posts, read 257,575 times

Advertisements

Dear Sirs:

I would like you to start issuing thousands of tickets to all the people on the freeways who are tailgating at speeds of over 60 MPH.

Hopefully this will create a public message and put an end to the problem.

Thank you.

Sincerely,

dipr in San Diego
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2015, 01:49 PM

7,407 posts, read 6,537,276 times
good point, though the speed limit is 65 MPH...what lane are you driving in?....if you are in the left lane and refusing to move over because "it's your lane", then I could see why they are tailgating.

Old 04-19-2015, 01:59 PM

6,496 posts, read 7,525,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elchevere View Post
good point, though the speed limit is 65 MPH...what lane are you driving in?....if you are in the left lane and refusing to move over because "it's your lane", then I could see why they are tailgating.
True! When I drive the 5 or 15 North to LA or IE, I find that many times it is easier to drive 85 on the far right lane because people do not move out of the left lane. Especially on the 5 between Oceanside and OC, big trucks generally occupy the 2nd to the right lane so I speed past on the right.

People here like to drive on the left and stay there.

Dear OP, move over!

Old 04-19-2015, 02:05 PM

shhh, quiet...you gave away my secret (driving in the right lane)....one time in NY I saw a state trooper pull over and ticket a driver for not moving over to the right.

Old 04-19-2015, 02:16 PM

6,496 posts, read 7,525,332 times
hehehe ^^^ the secret is out.

I notice the same trend between Escondido and Temecula, it is easier to pass on the far right lane because everyone on the 2 left lanes.

Old 04-19-2015, 03:30 PM

1,536 posts, read 1,482,253 times
Quote:

Hogging the left lane makes someone a dope, but tailgating is worse.

Old 04-19-2015, 03:33 PM

and, like tailgating, driving significantly below the speed limit and/or refusing to yield by moving over from the passing lane is a traffic violation and ticketable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnAlt View Post
Hogging left lane makes someone a dope, but tailgating is worse.

Old 04-19-2015, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by malcorub16 View Post
True! When I drive the 5 or 15 North to LA or IE, I find that many times it is easier to drive 85 on the far right lane because people do not move out of the left lane. Especially on the 5 between Oceanside and OC, big trucks generally occupy the 2nd to the right lane so I speed past on the right.

I'm the guy driving the speed limit in the slow lane that right passers don't seem to notice until they are right behind me, and then often get into a tizzy over it.

85 mph drivers: go hassle the left lane hoggers and leave me alone.

Old 04-19-2015, 03:39 PM

Quote:
and, like tailgating, driving significantly below the speed limit and/or refusing to yield by moving over from the passing lane is a traffic violation and ticketable.

Not defending it, but it's not directly dangerous like tailgating. Indirectly, because it sets off many of the HSAs (high strung a-holes) who then do stupider stuff.

Old 04-19-2015, 03:42 PM

You are correct and are abiding by the law by driving in the slow lane and expecting those who wish to pass you to move over and pass you on the left, rather than tailgating you....unfortunately, many who should be riding--as you do--in the right hand lane(s) at the posted speed limit or slower often do not and, instead, ride in the passing lane with no intent of moving over...it is these people who are as likely, or more likely, to cause accidents by their refusal to yield by causing other cars to dart in and out of lanes that they otherwise should/would not have to in their attempt to pass the slow/stubborn moving vehicle...not only are speeding/dangerous lane changes/tailgating violators subject to being ticketed but so are people driving in the passing lane without yielding and/or driving significantly below posted speed limits:

https://www.esurance.com/info/car/th...ing-too-slowly

21654. (a) Notwithstanding the prima facie speed limits, any
vehicle proceeding upon a highway at a speed less than the normal
speed of traffic moving in the same direction at such time shall be
driven in the right-hand lane for traffic or as close as practicable
to the right-hand edge or curb, except when overtaking and passing
another vehicle proceeding in the same direction or when preparing
for a left turn at an intersection or into a private road or
driveway.
(b) If a vehicle is being driven at a speed less than the normal
speed of traffic moving in the same direction at such time, and is
not being driven in the right-hand lane for traffic or as close as
practicable to the right-hand edge or curb, it shall constitute prima
facie evidence that the driver is operating the vehicle in violation
of subdivision (a) of this section.
(c) The Department of Transportation, with respect to state
highways, and local authorities, with respect to highways under their
jurisdiction, may place and maintain upon highways official signs
directing slow-moving traffic to use the right-hand traffic lane
except when overtaking and passing another vehicle or preparing for a
left turn.

Last edited by elchevere; 04-19-2015 at 03:57 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego