Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-29-2015, 10:56 PM

2,986 posts, read 4,575,132 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by oddstray View Post
I'm not a surfer. But if I we're a novice surfer, how would I know where the 'premier' breaks are? And, how would I know when my skill improved enough to be acceptable at the premier breaks?

If you get that surfers sound to me, in general, a bit diva-ish then yes, that is really my point.
You're not a surfer? I couldn't tell from your post.

It's funny, I was just having this conversation earlier with a friend who is a very experienced surfer and it boils down to safety more than anything else. Let me guess, you've never been hit or run over by a surfboard have you? They really hurt, and fins can cut like razors. If you can't even perform the most basic fundamentals of surfing why would you think its a good idea to paddle out at such a crowded spot where you are a danger to everyone else around you?

If you were learning to surf, would you paddle out to a reef point break peak with 50+ other surfers when its pumping? Or would you go to a mild beach break and learn to pop up on smaller waves and white water where you aren't a danger to anyone else? Of course, this is assuming you have zero knowledge of any of the surf breaks in north county but anyone who lives here has heard of Cardiff Reef and Swamis and know that they are some of the best breaks in SD. Crawl before you walk, and you know when you are ready to go out and seriously compete for waves.

Not to mention, I'm out $60 and my favorite board for at least a week while it gets repaired. But you're right, we are probably just divas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2015, 07:11 AM

6,420 posts, read 11,590,922 times
OK, so it's a matter of safety. Then I repeat my questions. How is a new surfer supposed to know where it's not unsafe (for the new surfer and all the other surfers). I only ever hear complaints and incomplete suggestions from established surfers. That's what sounds diva-ish.

Why not post a thread describing the various surf spots along with some guidelines for new surfers (and non-surfers who are curious) that explains where and where not the new surfers would be safe and welcome.

Old 08-30-2015, 09:38 AM

50,239 posts, read 46,997,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oddstray View Post
OK, so it's a matter of safety. Then I repeat my questions. How is a new surfer supposed to know where it's not unsafe (for the new surfer and all the other surfers). I only ever hear complaints and incomplete suggestions from established surfers. That's what sounds diva-ish.

Why not post a thread describing the various surf spots along with some guidelines for new surfers (and non-surfers who are curious) that explains where and where not the new surfers would be safe and welcome.
That's pretty simple. When the surf is really big you will see everyone gathered in bunches. Even when it's not big look for the bunch of people together and then watch which way they go when the waves start to break.

The best way to start out is on a sponge board so you don't get cut. Even better use a boogie board until you can catch waves and begin to learn how waves break, where they start and the contour of the bottom that causes the waves. On bigger breaks you can start to mix in with other people once you know the pecking order and who has "right of way".

Personally, I'd rather find my own smaller break and just have some fun even if I don't get a barrel or long ride. It can get pretty salty in a line up on a local break.

In summary:

1. Start with watching surfers
2. Take a lesson in MB or get a boogie board
3. Step up to a sponge long board so you don't get skegged/skeg someone else
4. Find a smaller break with fewer people
5. Get on the fringes of the bigger breaks and learn the flow
6. You are now ready to be part of the local lineup

Old 08-30-2015, 08:10 PM

4,294 posts, read 4,424,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
That's pretty simple. When the surf is really big you will see everyone gathered in bunches. Even when it's not big look for the bunch of people together and then watch which way they go when the waves start to break.

The best way to start out is on a sponge board so you don't get cut. Even better use a boogie board until you can catch waves and begin to learn how waves break, where they start and the contour of the bottom that causes the waves. On bigger breaks you can start to mix in with other people once you know the pecking order and who has "right of way".

Personally, I'd rather find my own smaller break and just have some fun even if I don't get a barrel or long ride. It can get pretty salty in a line up on a local break.

In summary:

1. Start with watching surfers
2. Take a lesson in MB or get a boogie board
3. Step up to a sponge long board so you don't get skegged/skeg someone else
4. Find a smaller break with fewer people
5. Get on the fringes of the bigger breaks and learn the flow
6. You are now ready to be part of the local lineup
I think these are good pointers. Especially about starting on a boogie board to learn how the wave breaks. One wave can take you in to shore while the next can pummel you under water. Learning to recognize which ones do what is really helpful.

As a newbie I realize I need to respect the other dudes who are mainly surfing. Lucky for me though I am not qualified to ride large waves yet so I stand in front of them. Even then I need to watch my ass. So much can happen out there. You really do need to respect proper etiquette if not for your own safety.

The cool thing is I involved in surf drama and locals only squabbles. It reminds me of my favorite movies...Fast Times at Ridgemont High and all the other 80's CA Beach Movies.

Old 08-30-2015, 10:54 PM

1,175 posts, read 1,912,062 times
SD isn't like parts of OC or LA where 50 year old surfers actually throw rocks at people or vandalize their cars. Never understood that or them, but that seems to be a thing for years now as it's back in the press. I've never heard about things like that in SD though.

Old 08-31-2015, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CNYC View Post
I think these are good pointers. Especially about starting on a boogie board to learn how the wave breaks. One wave can take you in to shore while the next can pummel you under water. Learning to recognize which ones do what is really helpful.

As a newbie I realize I need to respect the other dudes who are mainly surfing. Lucky for me though I am not qualified to ride large waves yet so I stand in front of them. Even then I need to watch my ass. So much can happen out there. You really do need to respect proper etiquette if not for your own safety.

The cool thing is I involved in surf drama and locals only squabbles. It reminds me of my favorite movies...Fast Times at Ridgemont High and all the other 80's CA Beach Movies.
Oh, almost forgot. The number one thing to sweat is undertow, rip currents.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedro2000 View Post
SD isn't like parts of OC or LA where 50 year old surfers actually throw rocks at people or vandalize their cars. Never understood that or them, but that seems to be a thing for years now as it's back in the press. I've never heard about things like that in SD though.
One of the reasons I really don't surf much. It quit being relaxing due all the kooks. I literally got into it with some idiot off Crystal Pier and waited for him to come out. I got more %$^ sitting there drinking and then the shicken chirt paddled all the way down passed the pier after dark to avoid me. That's when I said to myself, "Ok I'm done".

Old 08-31-2015, 12:15 PM

2,986 posts, read 4,575,132 times
Quote:
One of the reasons I really don't surf much. It quit being relaxing due all the kooks. I literally got into it with some idiot off Crystal Pier and waited for him to come out. I got more %$^ sitting there drinking and then the shicken chirt paddled all the way down passed the pier after dark to avoid me. That's when I said to myself, "Ok I'm done".
Haha we need the full story on this..

Old 08-31-2015, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cardiff Kook View Post
Haha we need the full story on this..
Ok, so I've got my 7'6 and sitting clear on the outside of the main set S of the green tank. I'm goofy so I was content taking what random set presented itself. 3 more guys paddle out, no big deal. Well, one guy was really good. I mean I was pretty impressed. Right up to the part where he was grabbing every single wave and yelling at everyone.

I moved down even further as I didn't want to deal with this clown. A set comes through and he starts right, it collapses and he bounces it till it builds again left. I'm trying to get out of the way and he starts yelling while he's on it. Whatever, wave hog.

He takes one all the way in and paddling back he's going by me as I grab it. The @#$% grabs my leash as I go by. #@$ move and I got slightly skegged by my board bouncing back. He then paddles out real fast and goes back to shicken chirting the other guys. A bit later he grabs another left and tries to see how close he can get to me so when he did it again I just popped my board at him. Chirty gets all smack talk and I invite him to head in and see who owes who an apology. I waited him out and even his friend's said, "Sorry, he's a richard". Tough guy waits till dark, catches one more and rides it as far as he can go, jumps out and takes off running down the beach.

Old 08-31-2015, 01:09 PM

4,294 posts, read 4,424,318 times
Quote:
Oh, almost forgot. The number one thing to sweat is undertow, rip currents.
For sure. I am a big guy 220lbs and some of the white water will knock me down like a grizzly bear. I learned to NEVER fight the ocean. It is a waste of energy. If I get into a rough situation just let the ocean do what it does and focus on my breathing. Eventually I will wind up on shore ! True or False ?

Your comments regarding "Space" is one of the reasons I gave up the gym after 20 years. It came to the point where I was bickering with gym members for usage of machines or space more than I was actually working out. The stress was killing me.

I definitely see potential for drama in the water with surfing but I am a newbie so it hasn't hit me yet but YEAH I can definitely see competing for waves being exhausting.

Old 08-31-2015, 01:35 PM

7,407 posts, read 6,537,276 times
...then avoid surfing at Windansea--very territorial.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CNYC View Post
For sure. I am a big guy 220lbs and some of the white water will knock me down like a grizzly bear. I learned to NEVER fight the ocean. It is a waste of energy. If I get into a rough situation just let the ocean do what it does and focus on my breathing. Eventually I will wind up on shore ! True or False ?

Your comments regarding "Space" is one of the reasons I gave up the gym after 20 years. It came to the point where I was bickering with gym members for usage of machines or space more than I was actually working out. The stress was killing me.

I definitely see potential for drama in the water with surfing but I am a newbie so it hasn't hit me yet but YEAH I can definitely see competing for waves being exhausting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego