U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-18-2008, 07:21 PM

102 posts, read 422,325 times

Advertisements

Why do people fail to see that all of san diego is not even that great I mean really san diego the worst when it comes to enertainment, parks, clubs, nite life, amusment parks and pretty much everything else. Downtown sucks because the buildings are to small Sea world sucks because its to boring and lacks rides and the weather is not even that great. If all of you tourist will just get out of the tourist trap and explore san diego for what it really is you'll see that it SUCKS!!!!!

Old 01-19-2008, 01:22 AM

1,115 posts, read 2,791,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerodam12 View Post
Why do people fail to see that all of san diego is not even that great I mean really san diego the worst when it comes to enertainment, parks, clubs, nite life, amusment parks and pretty much everything else. Downtown sucks because the buildings are to small Sea world sucks because its to boring and lacks rides and the weather is not even that great. If all of you tourist will just get out of the tourist trap and explore san diego for what it really is you'll see that it SUCKS!!!!!
I agree with you for sure, this city is HIGHLY overrated. The weather is amazing and it has a few good qualities. But it's two-dimensional, it's all hyped up and polished on the surface, but lacking in real substance......a lot like the people of this city.

Also the cost of living is totally ridiculous, the socio-economic inequality and seperatism is strong, ego-mania and conceit run rampant, people drive way too fast and dangerously, gangsters and a ghetto mentality run strong almost everywhere east of the 805, and west of the 805 is mostly elitist snobs that turn their nose up at you for not having a luxery car and expensive wardrobe.

Soooooooo shallow and impersonal. Every So-Cal stereotype about the plastic, fake lifestyle here is totally true here. The So-Cal people really are the most decadently materialistic people i've ever seen in my travels.

This city is only good if you are filthy rich. Then you can shelter yourself from all the bad things, and join in on the materialistic masquerade of status symbols and keeping up with your neighbors. Then you can disrespect poor, working-class people just to boost your fragile ego a little bit more. That's what people do in SD.

It's no wonder the rest of America hates Californians and thinks we are jerks. Southern California deserves it. This place is ridiculous. I would leave right now if I could.....

Old 01-19-2008, 03:53 AM

490 posts, read 1,353,015 times
ha San Diego is rated highly in many categories, parks, number of college grads, outdoor lifestyle, family activities, arts/culture. so just move and let the rest of us who know what it has to offer enjoy.

Old 01-19-2008, 03:58 AM

1,828 posts, read 3,279,635 times
Maybe San Diego does suck but they will be the home of the AFC Champions tomorrow after the Chargers shock the Patriots!!!!

Old 01-19-2008, 09:50 AM

31 posts, read 56,068 times
Sorry to disagree. I lived in San Diego for 2 years -- 2 of the best years of my life! Yeah, it's expensive. Yeah, I sorta lived like a college student, but HEY, I was single living in a small studio in downtown. I loved it. The people. The weather. I'm contemplating a move back -- for good. I just wish the cost of living was more similar to Ohio. (HAHAHA!)

Old 01-19-2008, 09:52 AM

31 posts, read 56,068 times
And Big D, as amazing as it would be to see them win, the Chargers will be cleaning out their lockers on Monday.

Old 01-19-2008, 10:12 AM

3,408 posts, read 8,479,427 times
I'm not a big fan of San Diego myself, but I don't live there anymore and I don't think I'll be missing it anytime soon. Yeah, the weather is nice but that is really the only thing I see going for it, and a low crime rate but there are plenty of other safe places out there. I've just had an overall bitter experience in the 10 years I lived there, mainly because of the cost of living and getting screwed with buying late at the real estate market. There's a reason why no one is buying houses despite how much cheaper it is now, people are finally realising it's not that great. They ask why go to San Diego when they can go to L.A. which has a lot more to offer. Another thing about S.D. that frustrated me is that the traffic has gotten horrible and it's hard to find parking anywhere. I also think there are a lot of rude and incosiderate people, more than anywhere I've been except maybe L.A. There's a lot of people who have the stuck-up, shallow, materialistic, and pretentious mentality. Also the customer service is terrible. The other gripe is that it's way too slow and too lacking for a city that size. One more thing, the beaches here aren't that great.

There was a brief period of about 2 years when I really enjoyed San Diego. It was around 2000-01 when I just turned 21, I was single and going to clubs and bars in Gaslamp a lot. I can say that San Diego is more fun for single people, but doesn't offer much for married couples. It's like a giant meat market.

Btw, there's no way the Chargers would beat the Patriots, realistically speaking under the circumstances. It would take a miracle for that to happen.

Last edited by SEAandATL; 01-19-2008 at 10:13 AM.. Reason: Wanting to add something.

Old 01-19-2008, 10:43 AM

2,898 posts, read 2,753,484 times
I too think San Diego is VASTLY overrated. For a city that size there is little worthwhile nightlife or culture. The beaches there are polluted although many uninformed people won't admit it. The people there are uptight plastic and unfriendly. There is too much closemindedness and rascism there. The job market is not that great as far as pay goes. On a positive note, the zoo and wild animal park are nice though saving San Diego from being completely useless!

Old 01-19-2008, 01:24 PM

1,115 posts, read 2,791,782 times
I just got back from living in Oregon and I found the wild, uninhabited, cold, rocky, REALLY clean beaches up there to be much more appealing and fun. The only good thing about the beaches in SD is that the weather is amazing and there's that whole swimsuit/meatmarket/eye candy thing going on. The beaches in SD are yet another HIGHLY overrated aspect of this city. I mean really, what specifically is so nice about the beaches in SD compared to other places? I don't see it.

It's impossible to find parking on a hot day at the beach (in the summer I park like a mile away and bicycle or walk in), i the winter months I always really enjoy the beaches. But in the summer the beached literally have tens of thousands of people flooding to the shore. It is WAY too overcrowded and busy there.

It's developed right up to the shore in most places, the water is VERY dirty and pollutted especially around OB and the SD river and there's drunken idiots all over (probobly not anymore because of the alcohol ban

By the way, I TOTALLY welcome that alcohol ban. I'm all about keeping our freedoms, but there were just too many bonehead drunken idiots starting fights. There must have been at least ten times when a sideways hat wearing "bro" type tried to get rough with me just cause I walked too close to his little territorial space on the sand. Or I looked at his girl or for whatever reason, just so much violence on almost every beach, especially Mission and PB, angry drunk dudes with something to prove. If the kids can't play with their toys responsibly, take the toys away.......

And as a previous poster said, SD is a total singles scene, which is it's best, yet maybe it's worst feature. It's fun if you're single. But it's too much of a meat market. Too much of a tacky overly-sexual vibe going on for me. Which adds to the shallow feel. It also makes it really hard to establish a solid relationship. Most people just jump from sex partner to sex partner the same way I change my clothes every day. When dating here, there's a sense of aloofness, like nobody is seriously trying to meet a good person for the long-term. Everyone's more just out for a good time, quick to start dating and quick to break up.

And i've seen much more cheating here than other places for sure. My dating life was just fine in other towns without this over-the-top masquerade going on. SD is just a sin city in this way. Which I used to see as fun, but now just nasty and dirty. Especially when I found out the realities of the STD rates in SD and TJ, and how it's all mixxing together.

So-Cal was a great place. But in the past ten years it's been ruined. Which is why SO MANY Californians are moving to other cities. Flooding into Vegas, Phoenix, Portland, Seattle, Houston, Dallas, etc. Just check out thier boards on this website. They're full of Californians that have happilly escaped.

Sometimes I find myself complaining a LOT about SD. But when I really stop and think about it, all of my complaints are totally valid and justified......

Old 01-19-2008, 02:56 PM

181 posts, read 804,487 times
I have to agree that San diego was a lot nicer even just 10 or 15 years ago...but I am not sure it is quite as bad as some of you say. Maybe I am just naive. I dont think the people are so bad, and I have lived all over SD. But the only other places Ive lived are washington-which I could not take the weather, and Hawaii which I really loved. My question is are the people in other places really so much better? I really would like to hear what people that have lived in other places think.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego