Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2008, 02:08 AM

395 posts, read 1,363,803 times

Advertisements

Why do people use this term so loosely?
What does that even mean?
Is everyone really only upset that people have nice cars etc.?
(If that is all that is then SD must be pretty nice if these are the only things people have to complain about.)
If someone could explain this to me that would be great.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2008, 02:13 AM

5,826 posts, read 9,608,011 times
How is it used?

Old 01-21-2008, 02:24 AM

They use the term in negative ways like
"oh I hate SD b/c everyone is so plastic"
I have seen it so much, so I want to know why it is a bad thing.

Old 01-21-2008, 02:35 AM

Used in that way, the term is derogatory in the sense people in SD are putting on a happy face when they are anything but. It is not related to cars or possessions they hold. It has nothing to do with credit cards nor affluence except they put on airs that they are well-to-do but are just average Joes.

"Plastic" indicates the people are your garden variety of regular people but pretend to be something they are not. A nice car has nothing to do with it. It's an attitude.

For example, a person who flips burgers for a living might leave his house wearing a suit and tie and carrying a briefcase. He is plastic because he is trying to look like an executive with an office. He wants people to think he is something other than what he is. He is being plastic.

Old 01-21-2008, 02:43 AM

1,115 posts, read 3,133,954 times
The term "plastic" is often used to describe the people of San Diego, as well as the city itself. When describing the people. It refers to the way people look, present themselves, speak, dress and act.

The meticulously polished appearance that is made to look flawless and sharp that is the norm around here very plastic. The way people act is plastic in the sense that lots of people carry themselves with this sort of stiff seriousness and professionalism all the time. Like they all think they're a big shot and have this sort of serious, arrogant demeanor. The way people dress is plastic in the sense that people's outfits are often all the same, strictly follow trends, are brand new and perfectly clean, always.

The people here exhibit very little individuality, character or expressiveness overall. So you have a bunch of perfectly polished, serious, arrogant people who all dress very similar in perfectly clean clothes. And then you add all the the things mentioned previously, and there you have it, plastic.

I've been hearing that word to describe SD for years. It's so true. It's a very Pleasentville sort of thing. A big fake facade.

Old 01-21-2008, 02:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AliceT View Post
Used in that way, the term is derogatory in the sense people in SD are putting on a happy face when they are anything but. It is not related to cars or possessions they hold. It has nothing to do with credit cards nor affluence except they put on airs that they are well-to-do but are just average Joes.

"Plastic" indicates the people are your garden variety of regular people but pretend to be something they are not. A nice car has nothing to do with it. It's an attitude.

For example, a person who flips burgers for a living might leave his house wearing a suit and tie and carrying a briefcase. He is plastic because he is trying to look like an executive with an office. He wants people to think he is something other than what he is. He is being plastic.
Exactly. Everyone conforms to the same image. Like a bunch of plastic dolls.

Old 01-21-2008, 03:00 AM

Ok so I was totally wrong about that. Thanks for telling me. Going to start college there in SD real soon so I wanted to understand how people really are down there.I left the south for Seattle thinking people would be friendly up here but not so much...so plastic may also equal...not so friendly??
I always was under the impression that people were generally open-minded,friendly and laid back....do I need to expect something different???

Old 01-21-2008, 03:04 AM

People are people no matter where you go. Some you'll like and some you won't. Just be yourself and be eager to meet new people.

Old 01-21-2008, 03:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaJasMi View Post
Ok so I was totally wrong about that. Thanks for telling me. Going to start college there in SD real soon so I wanted to understand how people really are down there.I left the south for Seattle thinking people would be friendly up here but not so much...so plastic may also equal...not so friendly??
I always was under the impression that people were generally open-minded,friendly and laid back....do I need to expect something different???
People here are friendly IF and only if you blend in around here with your appearence and put on the uniform of supposed affluence and prestige. You gotta act Hollywood around here to get respect. Personally, I don't try to fit in at all, I refuse to play that game. So San Diegans look at me like i'm crazy for not being "fashionable".

You'll meet plenty of people, it's easy to strike up conversation around here, just don't expect much depth out of them. Just think Hollywood and that's pretty close to where it's at in SD. And the idea that So-Cal people are laid back is totally false. So-Cal was laid back up until about the 70's, then it became so urban, busy and crazy that it's now just a stressful, fast-paced city. No more laid back beach vibes.....Go to Santa Cruz for that these days.

I know that Seattle rudeness you describe. More like a shy, withdrawn rudeness. In SD it is more of a competetive, dominating, passive-aggressive rudeness.

Last edited by FunkyMonk; 01-21-2008 at 03:56 AM..

Old 01-21-2008, 03:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AliceT View Post
People are people no matter where you go. Some you'll like and some you won't. Just be yourself and be eager to meet new people.
I've heard that many times before. But the vibe of a place has a HUGE effect on things. People are different in different places. Just compare NYC to a small midwest town for example. You'll encounter totally different people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego