Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2015, 04:39 PM

5,139 posts, read 8,847,756 times

Advertisements

SD overall is a very safe area..any of the communities in North County (both along the 15 and along the 5) are safe. Some areas of Oceanside and Escondido might be a bit iffy. East County has some areas that aren't safe, but I'm not familiar with that area specifically. If you search the SD Forum there is tons of information on "safe" areas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2015, 09:16 PM

1,537 posts, read 1,483,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loveautumn View Post
I agree with a previous poster that with the inquiries we get I'd say one out of five is probably a viable candidate. I also agree that if you are just going to end up living in a crappy part of town, barely making it, and not be able to really enjoy what SoCal has to offer, then why come here?

Have to disagree with this. The things that separate San Diego from most other places are FREE.

Old 06-24-2015, 09:44 PM

1,537 posts, read 1,483,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccrash View Post
I get the impression that some people are sour because they've had misfortunes that may or may not have been directly related to where they live.

Or when they bought, like during the last big bubble. As if those prices were reality, except those lucky ones who won the lottery by selling or those that screwed themselves by buying during that time.

Old 06-24-2015, 10:54 PM

8 posts, read 4,935 times
Thank you for the suggestion!

Old 06-25-2015, 02:37 PM

Some people mentioned north county being safe. Since I dont really know what or where your north county starts or ends can you be more specific? I could totally tell you about OC that our south county is very safe, cities being rsm, mission viejo, aliso viejo, ladera ranch. And our north county has much higher crime, cities being santa ana, anehiem, orange. Also someone said san marcos and I started researching that area last night but mostly negitive things were coming up in that area. I dont expect to be able to afford Del Mar which is the same as our Newport Beach, with apartments averaging $1800 for something small. But is there anything like $800 to rent a room or $1300 for a 1 bedroom apartment near the mission valley?? Or is that not doable? It seemes like a very safe area when I visited.

Old 06-25-2015, 03:06 PM

2,160 posts, read 5,852,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caligirl85 View Post
Some people mentioned north county being safe. Since I dont really know what or where your north county starts or ends can you be more specific?
Generally speaking, "North County" starts where the 56 intersects from the 15 to the 5 and runs north to Camp Pendleton, so along the coast you're talking everything from Del Mar to Oceanside and inland from Poway/Rancho Penasquitos north to Escondido and beyond up to Temecula.

Old 06-25-2015, 04:33 PM

5,139 posts, read 8,847,756 times
I think apts in MV will go for more than $1300, you might want to check out Tierra Santa which is close by and might be closer to your price range. Although I've been looking at one bedroom prices myself and most good areas are going for $1600 and up. Have no idea what renting a room would go for.

Old 06-26-2015, 09:16 AM

I will look up Tierra Santa. Any other suggestions would be appreciated. $1600 is def out of my price range for a 1 bedroom. They can cost that much in OC as well, which is why I decided to move from my apartment to renting a room and stay in the safest part of the county. If I was willing to compromise safety I could move to north county and find something $1000-$1300 range. But $900 is a lot to rent a room and share a bathroom if you ask me. Since I love SD Im wondering if I can find a slightly better deal there. Or the rent could stay the same if I could find a higher paying position. Im always shocked by how little jobs pay. With minimum wage now being $9 how can they offer you only $10 for a job where they are asking for a 4 year degree?! No one would ever be able to pay back student loans that way.

Old 06-26-2015, 09:31 AM

50,262 posts, read 47,023,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caligirl85 View Post
I will look up Tierra Santa. Any other suggestions would be appreciated. $1600 is def out of my price range for a 1 bedroom. They can cost that much in OC as well, which is why I decided to move from my apartment to renting a room and stay in the safest part of the county. If I was willing to compromise safety I could move to north county and find something $1000-$1300 range. But $900 is a lot to rent a room and share a bathroom if you ask me. Since I love SD Im wondering if I can find a slightly better deal there. Or the rent could stay the same if I could find a higher paying position. Im always shocked by how little jobs pay. With minimum wage now being $9 how can they offer you only $10 for a job where they are asking for a 4 year degree?! No one would ever be able to pay back student loans that way.
Welcome to San Diego. This is why we tell people the truth about moving here. Low pay and expensive to live here. Supply and demand. There are way more people that want to live here than there are well paying jobs.

Old 06-26-2015, 10:34 AM

I was talking about the pay in my area, OC, when I was talking about $10/hr jobs. So... Welcome to OC
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego