Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2015, 09:02 AM

9,807 posts, read 11,134,777 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by photogirlla View Post
The problem with LA, aside from the people, is the traffic confines your social life. That said, there is life outside of Weho- Silverlake, Los Feliz, Eagle Rock are the new hip areas.
I left LA for the two reasons above, though I had a lot of gay friends, and they weren't the typical WEHO boys.
I think you could find an apt in your listed areas in SD for $1500. I don't know how restrictive they are about 2 cats. I have 3, but I bought a place ( in Fallbrook- yeah, I'm old now, my infamous party days are over), so it's not an issue.
I also lived in Chicago, and most of my friends were gay there too- great club scene, music and art, lots to do- if you can handle that winter.
You are young and single...if I were in your shoes, I'd try something new. You can always come back here, but you've been here and done that. The older you are, the harder it is to have that kind of freedom. I bounced around a lot in my 20's- ( worked on horror movies ) and it was a blast.
So, yes you can afford to live here, and there are a lot of great things about SD, but keep on open mind about other locales
Cheers and good luck!
That's interesting. While living in LA, I got invited to see a horror movie set in North Hollywood that looked awfully real. I knew someone who worked in horror and worked with Rob Zombie, ha.

I am dying (pun intended) to get a small part in Fear the Walking Dead lol. Heck, I'd pay them since horror seems like non stop fun to produce with friends.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2015, 10:02 AM

674 posts, read 610,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meilingo View Post
I think it really depends on what you want out of a city. LA is certainly more lively, but the weather isn't as nice and the pollution is really out of control. I hate driving in and seeing the smog hang over the city. LA has more of an arts culture, and would be good for a busy-body social butterfly kind of person. San Diego is a weird combination of laid back hippie/small town vibe culture in a spread out metro area. San Diego is good for a quieter life - chill night life, niche communities, and an outdoor, active lifestyle (in my opinion).
That's exactly right.

If I were a young, single student, I'd probably be someplace else (and I was someplace else when I was younger). Now that I'm older, married, and in a stable, professional career, I want a good place for a family where I can keep my health without wasting money on a gym. It's all about what your priorities are.

One thing that's sometimes overlooked is the fact that San Diego offers a beautiful domestic life while still being near a lot of big-time cultural stuff in LA and the OC. I get to enjoy my daily routine here, and I can still spend my weekends in Westminster or Garden Grove or even LA. It's lovely that I can go to Imperial Beach or Mission Bay or La Jolla or Balboa Park or Moonlight Beach or any number of other nice places whenever I want. All free, too, to it doesn't affect my budget. Or I can hike in the canyons or just take a peaceful stroll around my quiet neighborhood and admire the mountains.

This place still makes me emotional.

Old 07-01-2015, 10:39 AM

9,807 posts, read 11,134,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OwlAndSparrow View Post
That's exactly right.

If I were a young, single student, I'd probably be someplace else (and I was someplace else when I was younger). Now that I'm older, married, and in a stable, professional career, I want a good place for a family where I can keep my health without wasting money on a gym. It's all about what your priorities are.

One thing that's sometimes overlooked is the fact that San Diego offers a beautiful domestic life while still being near a lot of big-time cultural stuff in LA and the OC. I get to enjoy my daily routine here, and I can still spend my weekends in Westminster or Garden Grove or even LA. It's lovely that I can go to Imperial Beach or Mission Bay or La Jolla or Balboa Park or Moonlight Beach or any number of other nice places whenever I want. All free, too, to it doesn't affect my budget. Or I can hike in the canyons or just take a peaceful stroll around my quiet neighborhood and admire the mountains.

This place still makes me emotional.
Agreed. We are so fortunate to live in Southern California and I get emotional about it too. Even so many of the hills seem magical to me. People who live here often don't realize how lucky they are, especially the young people. All they do is complain.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego