Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2015, 06:39 AM

20,834 posts, read 17,093,761 times

Advertisements

Gosh a buck up in one week! I wonder what excuse they have know for Cali....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2015, 08:32 AM

9,821 posts, read 11,539,106 times
Consumer Bob on NBC 7 had a excuse. I'll look for the link on my break. He then went on to say that the excuse was bu!!$h!t

Old 07-13-2015, 10:30 AM

5,139 posts, read 8,846,073 times
yes, I heard on KOGO this morning an interview with somebody who said it is still that special summer blend we use here in CA...so last week that special blend was cheaper and now it's not???

Old 07-13-2015, 03:41 PM

4 posts, read 3,380 times
I see everywhere calls to stop fracking in California. This is what happens when you are always threatened to run you out of business and you are called greedy. Take a look where the gas prices are the cheapest in the country; in all the states that understand what fracking really is. Plus, California gasoline is different from any other gas in the country. No one can export gas to California. So California is a very expensive gasoline island.

Maybe everyone should buy electric cars. But then again, there will be calls against the coal and nuclear energy companies. So, back to horse and buggy and bicycles.

Here's a little video...
California gas prices spike

BTW, I don't work in the oil industry...

Old 07-13-2015, 04:31 PM

291 posts, read 397,559 times
Yup, prices are spiking like crazy thanks to lack of supply.

Last edited by Compuhi; 07-13-2015 at 04:44 PM..

Old 07-13-2015, 05:45 PM

10,090 posts, read 42,408,854 times
Ca.wants/ insists on their " boutique " gas for environmental reasons. It can only be made in Ca. refineries for Ca. No pipelines....so supply is limited to whatever Ca. produce.

Old 07-13-2015, 05:45 PM

1,095 posts, read 1,630,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loveautumn View Post
yes, I heard on KOGO this morning an interview with somebody who said it is still that special summer blend we use here in CA...so last week that special blend was cheaper and now it's not???
Of course KOGO said that. They don't really try to hide their bias. While we do have a summer blend and our gas prices are a bit higher than most other states, that is not the main reason for the spike in prices. Ever notice a pattern? Everytime the prices get lower to where people are comfortable, the state oil refineries come out with an excuse for why they don't have enough oil (gasoline refinery issues etc) and then jack up the prices. Last December gas was as low as $2.25 in many places around the county then they went up for a month or so after a refinery "explosion" then started going down again and now they are back up because the oil companies aren't getting enough input of oil. I'm no conspiracy theorist, but this scenario doesn't seem all that farfetched. They only care about profits not about pollution or people saving money from lower prices. They take advantage of the fact that most places in California especially Southern California rely heavily on cars and have weak public transportation. The exception is the San Francisco area obviously. I think the state government should investigate.

Old 07-13-2015, 05:53 PM

1,095 posts, read 1,630,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angeleano View Post
I see everywhere calls to stop fracking in California. This is what happens when you are always threatened to run you out of business and you are called greedy. Take a look where the gas prices are the cheapest in the country; in all the states that understand what fracking really is. Plus, California gasoline is different from any other gas in the country. No one can export gas to California. So California is a very expensive gasoline island.

Maybe everyone should buy electric cars. But then again, there will be calls against the coal and nuclear energy companies. So, back to horse and buggy and bicycles.

Here's a little video...
California gas prices spike

BTW, I don't work in the oil industry...
From what I understand, a tremendous amount of water is required to get extraction of gas. This leads to concerns of reservoirs and aquifers of fresh water being drained for the extraction of natural gas.
The major issue with these chemical additives is that they have the possibility to migrate to the groundwater, therefore contaminating it. The companies have been rather secretive about what the additives are. In addition to dispose of the waste water that contains the additives it is often injected into deep wells, or alternatively held in retention ponds that have a tendency to overflow in storm conditions. Natural Gas Extraction - Hydraulic Fracturing | US EPA There is also the concern of earthquakes as a result of fracking. Earthquake spike pushes Oklahoma to consider tighter fracking regulations | US news | The Guardian

Old 07-13-2015, 07:43 PM

18,172 posts, read 16,387,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loveautumn View Post
Has anyone seen any evidence that the special blend is any longer needed? With modern electronics and fuel injection and catalytic converters it is likely that the blend is not needed any longer.

All the blend seems to do is lower gas mileage in CA. I have asked this many times and no one seems to know if any testing has been done to establish the continued need.

Old 07-13-2015, 09:43 PM

4 posts, read 3,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aboveordinary View Post
From what I understand, a tremendous amount of water is required to get extraction of gas. This leads to concerns of reservoirs and aquifers of fresh water being drained for the extraction of natural gas.
The major issue with these chemical additives is that they have the possibility to migrate to the groundwater, therefore contaminating it. The companies have been rather secretive about what the additives are. In addition to dispose of the waste water that contains the additives it is often injected into deep wells, or alternatively held in retention ponds that have a tendency to overflow in storm conditions. Natural Gas Extraction - Hydraulic Fracturing | US EPA There is also the concern of earthquakes as a result of fracking. Earthquake spike pushes Oklahoma to consider tighter fracking regulations | US news | The Guardian

All that might be true, but this thread is about the gas prices going up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego