Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2015, 02:32 PM

145 posts, read 490,811 times

Advertisements

My friend and his wife and planning on relocating back to San Diego, at the end of this year. They are both retired in the medical fields, and have a significant windfall that will be afforded to them, in the years ahead. I am hoping a denizen of San Diego, might be able to assist them, with where they should look for housing.

The couple are in their early 50's(I know, it must be nice), they have no children, and have no pets.

They are looking for a city close to museums, and cultural activities, as well as near the beach

They are both avid golfers

Looking for an upscale conservative community(Ocean Beach, would not be an area that would work)

Both are VERY ACTIVE in fitness(running, rowing)

Close to lots of shopping, restaurants, movies, beach

Price is not too big of a concern

I was thinking Del Mar, Coronado or La Jolla might be the best bet for my friend and his wife). Recommendations? Would you agree from the very sparse information I have provided above?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2015, 02:34 PM

2,986 posts, read 4,576,909 times
Yes, if they can afford it and it sounds like they can. Del Mar, LJ, 'Nado

Old 07-15-2015, 02:35 PM

2,160 posts, read 5,852,864 times
Carlsbad?
Golf.
Beach
Fitness
Cultural activities
Shopping

Old 07-15-2015, 04:39 PM

9,807 posts, read 11,140,888 times
What an enviable position to be in. I'd say Jolla, Coronado, Del Mar, and if budget permits, Rancho Santa Fe. Consider Point Loma too.

Old 07-15-2015, 05:02 PM

6,893 posts, read 8,934,496 times
Dr. Vox,
I recall you asked this same question a couple years ago for you and wife.
Where located now?
What other cities you considering? Vegas?
Above suggested neighborhoods within SD city and other adjacent small 'cities' are good ones.

Last edited by bloom; 07-15-2015 at 05:36 PM..

Old 07-15-2015, 05:29 PM

1,566 posts, read 4,424,147 times
When the OP used the word "denizen", question marks about the validity of his/her post popped up.

Old 07-16-2015, 03:09 PM

145 posts, read 490,811 times
Bloom- My wife and I are still working on the transition to San Diego. We do have a beautiful home in the Las Vegas region, as well as a second home in Hawai'i, that we are fortunate to let friends and family use quite often. We had purchased the home, when the market in Las Vegas was at it's absolute worst, so the appreciation on the home has been an added benefit overall, not to mention they have conducted some gentrification in an around the area, that is planning to significantly affect the value for the better as well. Financially, it has allowed us to not work, but to volunteer our time, at a wonderful place here in Las Vegas known as three square( http://www.threesquare.org/). Living here, there is a never an issue with money or taxes, and that allows me to maximize my time with my wife the most, whether we're volunteering at Three Square or the Ronald McDonald House off Sahara.
We did have the privileged of getting back down to San Diego a few months ago, and my wife turned to me and said, "Tell me why we don't live here again?" While, yes, It's a very beautiful place to live, and holds a very special place in our hearts to the both of us, but man, California is expensive. Living here in Las Vegas, has made me a bit spoiled with things from the financial end. Yes, I miss the cultural aspects of the city, I miss going to the Del Mar Racetrack, I miss walking around places like Warwick's in La Jolla.
Las Vegas, aside from the Smith Center, is really devoid of cultural activities. Yes, they have "First Friday", where artists come and gather, but it's nothing compared to the likes of San Diego, and never will be. That's honestly, been the hardest adjustment. Education wise, Clark County School District(5th largest school district in the nation), is not of particular high quality or repute. Yes, there are a few good public schools(mostly elementary) is certain affluent parts of Green Valley or Summerlin, but the majority, no. They do however, have a few PHENOMENAL private schools out here, believe it or not. The Meadows School in Summerlin(http://www.themeadowsschool.us) was on par academically with La Jolla Country Day and Francis Parker in terms of academic rigor. Faith Lutheran Academy( is also an excellent school academically, with a fantastic campus, that looks like a college. It's not quite as stellar as Medows academically(nothing in Las Vegas is), but it's very good. I was also surprised to learn of a wonderful little special education school one of our friends' grandchildren attends called, "New Horizons Academy". This is a great school for kids with learning differences, and I was happy to see such a school existed here in Las Vegas.
I spoke with my friend Ray and his wife today, and it appears they are looking towards the Beach Colony near Del Mar. Forgive me, in my old age, is that close to shops and restaurants. Anyone here from that area, that would like to offer and insight into their thoughts living there?
Sorry for my Melville-like post. Hope you all have a wonderful and blessed week.

Old 07-16-2015, 03:29 PM

2,986 posts, read 4,576,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Vox View Post
I spoke with my friend Ray and his wife today, and it appears they are looking towards the Beach Colony near Del Mar. Forgive me, in my old age, is that close to shops and restaurants. Anyone here from that area, that would like to offer and insight into their thoughts living there?
Sorry for my Melville-like post. Hope you all have a wonderful and blessed week.
Del Mar is a great area to live in. Close to everything. I'm sure they will love it there.

Old 07-16-2015, 03:46 PM

9,823 posts, read 11,546,362 times
Encinitas would be my number one choice followed by Solana Beach and University City

Old 07-16-2015, 11:41 PM

6,893 posts, read 8,934,496 times
pretentious
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego