Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2015, 03:37 PM

50,276 posts, read 47,032,885 times

Advertisements

If you are trying to reduce expenses (your possible move to the South) this would be exactly the opposite.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2015, 05:15 PM

69 posts, read 60,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
If you are trying to reduce expenses (your possible move to the South) this would be exactly the opposite.

I'm single and make a (low) six figure salary. I work completely from home, so it really doesn't matter where I reside.

I have spent some time thinking about all of the money that I could potentially save if I moved to Atlanta or Durham, NC, but in all honesty, I wouldn't be happy. I love year round sunshine and the beach. I also like the progressive spirit of SoCal (it kind of reminds me of my hometown -NYC). I loved San Diego when I visited, and now I'm seriously considering moving out to the West Coast. Besides, you only live once, right?

Old 07-20-2015, 05:18 PM

2,986 posts, read 4,576,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthernLass View Post
I'm single and make a (low) six figure salary. I work completely from home, so it really doesn't matter where I reside.

I have spent some time thinking about all of the money that I could potentially save if I moved to Atlanta or Durham, NC, but in all honesty, I wouldn't be happy. I love year round sunshine and the beach. I also like the progressive spirit of SoCal (it kind of reminds me of my hometown -NYC). I loved San Diego when I visited, and now I'm seriously considering moving out to the West Coast. Besides, you only live once, right?
YOLO!

Seriously, NYC is nothing like SD.

Just be prepared to drop at least 2k at the very minimum if you want to live in an upscale neighborhood close to the beach. More if you want a 2 bedroom place. That being said, I don't find SD to be any more expensive than DC *for the most part.

Old 07-20-2015, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cardiff Kook View Post
Yes, I did. I never want to live back east after living in SD. East vs West if very subjective and dependent on one's personality and goals in life in regards to whether it will be a good fit. For me, SD and the West Coast in general is just a much better fit. YMMV. Good luck.
I also believe that the West Coast would be a good fit for me. Don't get me wrong, I'll always love NYC, but there's just something about the West Coast that makes me want to call it home.

Old 07-20-2015, 05:28 PM

Quote:
I also believe that the West Coast would be a good fit for me. Don't get me wrong, I'll always love NYC, but there's just something about the West Coast that makes me want to call it home.
Give it a try then. I too work from home and there is nothing sweeter than biking to the beach after work for a quick surf session!

Old 07-20-2015, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Give it a try then. I too work from home and there is nothing sweeter than biking to the beach after work for a quick surf session!
Did you have family/friends in San Diego, prior to your arrival?

Old 07-20-2015, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Did you have family/friends in San Diego, prior to your arrival?
Family, but quickly made friends!

Old 07-20-2015, 05:41 PM

Quote:
YOLO!

Seriously, NYC is nothing like SD.

Just be prepared to drop at least 2k at the very minimum if you want to live in an upscale neighborhood close to the beach. More if you want a 2 bedroom place. That being said, I don't find SD to be any more expensive than DC *for the most part.
It's ok if I'm not four blocks from the beach (though it would be lovely, that's for sure).

I prefer to pay no more than 1850/1900 for a nice one bedroom in a modern building. I'll have to turn the living space into my work area, but it's ok..

Old 07-20-2015, 05:44 PM

Quote:
Family, but quickly made friends!
My situation is drastically different than yours. Much of my family is on the East Coast and I have no friends in California. I went to college in New England and completed my grad studies in NYC. All of my close friends (and associates) are in NYC, Boston, NJ, CT and the DC metro area.

Old 07-20-2015, 05:59 PM

Quote:
My situation is drastically different than yours. Much of my family is on the East Coast and I have no friends in California. I went to college in New England and completed my grad studies in NYC. All of my close friends (and associates) are in NYC, Boston, NJ, CT and the DC metro area.
I don't really want to be too specific, but my situation wasn't as drastically different than yours as you might think and I haven't looked back. Don't over think it....you can always move back. If you are apprehensive (which is how your last post came across) you are going to have trouble adjusting. You gotta commit 100% to the move before making it. Just leave the east coast mind set behind if you do come out here. Good luck.

Last edited by Cardiff Kook; 07-20-2015 at 06:29 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego