Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2015, 11:32 AM

9,522 posts, read 30,361,645 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Encinitan View Post
and apparently he needs to USE CAPS!
lol, I think someone NEEDS a Xanax!

As for the OP, healthcare jobs are pretty portable and generally tend to pay similarly anywhere. The trick is to find a place with low-cost housing, low taxes and a growing healthcare market (i.e. old people).

I get a chance to travel heavily all over the US and am constantly surprised at how livable and growing a lot of so-called 'flyover' country is. If you don't need a white-collar job there are really a ton of great options. I don't like OR because it is economically depressed and high taxes. Seattle is growing much faster than SD and it will be at parity with housing costs within a decade at this rate. I would avoid all major coastal cities for the most part due to the high housing costs. With no ties to CA I'm not sure why anyone would recommend the IE, it's housing costs are very high, still paying CA taxes and it is socially and environmentally not a great place to be. Even mid 300k for a house in French Valley is expensive considering the same home is 150k in Dallas. I would also avoid FL, Northeastern / Midatlantic corridor, rust belt at all costs.

My choices would be:
- Smaller cities in the intermountain west, SLC, Denver, Boise, Eastern WA, Fort Collins (best lifestlye IMO and is full of retirees who need healthcare)
- Upper midwest cities like Cincinatti, Milwaukee, Madison (cold winters but gorgeous with very good economies)
- Southeast (Atlanta, North Carolina specifically, fast growing economies, really very pretty as well)
- Texas (Houston, Dallas or San Antonio) - worst weather, but overall the best COL/income ratio
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2015, 11:33 AM

6,883 posts, read 8,860,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sd92101 View Post

Basically the RICH are stealing as much as they can before we go off the cliff. Yes, we are going off the cliff, no way to avoid that.
Avoid it by supporting patriotic revolutionary gun-toting Bernie Sanders.

Old 07-28-2015, 11:39 AM

50,060 posts, read 46,605,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassberto View Post
lol, I think someone NEEDS a Xanax!

As for the OP, healthcare jobs are pretty portable and generally tend to pay similarly anywhere. The trick is to find a place with low-cost housing, low taxes and a growing healthcare market (i.e. old people).

I get a chance to travel heavily all over the US and am constantly surprised at how livable and growing a lot of so-called 'flyover' country is. If you don't need a white-collar job there are really a ton of great options. I don't like OR because it is economically depressed and high taxes. Seattle is growing much faster than SD and it will be at parity with housing costs within a decade at this rate. I would avoid all major coastal cities for the most part due to the high housing costs. With no ties to CA I'm not sure why anyone would recommend the IE, it's housing costs are very high and it is socially and environmentally not a great place to be. Even mid 300k for a house in French Valley is expensive considering the same home is 150k in Dallas.

My choices would be:
- Smaller cities in the intermountain west, SLC, Denver, Boise, Eastern WA, Fort Collins (best lifestlye IMO and is full of retirees who need healthcare)
- Upper midwest cities like Cincinatti, Milwaukee, Madison (cold winters but gorgeous with very good economies)
- Southeast (Atlanta, North Carolina specifically, fast growing economies, really very pretty as well)
- Texas (Houston, Dallas or San Antonio) - worst weather, but overall the best COL/income ratio
Wow, spot on and where we are looking too. I'm from the Fort Collins area so can verify that. I'm quickly starting to think I'd like NC.

Old 07-28-2015, 12:00 PM

9,522 posts, read 30,361,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
Wow, spot on and where we are looking too. I'm from the Fort Collins area so can verify that. I'm quickly starting to think I'd like NC.
It depends if you have to work. I think both CO and NC are good because they have both white-collar jobs and lower housing costs. CO is getting expensive though. I'm a hiker and backpacker so obviously for me CO is the dream. SLC is a real powerhouse now too.

Old 07-28-2015, 12:07 PM

9,787 posts, read 11,443,293 times
Everybody i know leaves San Diego for Texas. Houston, Dallas Fort Worth, San Antonio, Austin are all good destinations.
I'm sure what the minimum household number should be to live in San Diego but, if you have more than 2 kids and bring home less than 80k a year, San Diego is not the place for you.

Old 07-28-2015, 01:07 PM

50,060 posts, read 46,605,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassberto View Post
It depends if you have to work. I think both CO and NC are good because they have both white-collar jobs and lower housing costs. CO is getting expensive though. I'm a hiker and backpacker so obviously for me CO is the dream. SLC is a real powerhouse now too.
I so love the Rockies! The hiking, hunting and fishing oh my The killer for me was some of the brutal winters while working on the ranch. If I move back to Denver I'll still have to work but if I move to NC or TX I can sell my "inflated" house for cash and never have to work again

Ultimately I want a cabin in the Steamboat area while retaining a condo somewhere in SD County.

Old 07-28-2015, 01:10 PM

82 posts, read 110,161 times
Quote:
He's looking for advice on where to move, not a lecture on the strong dollar.
thats all he offers. Doom and gloom. Meanwhile back in the real world.......

Old 07-28-2015, 01:28 PM

34 posts, read 35,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pecivil View Post
thats all he offers. Doom and gloom. Meanwhile back in the real world.......
I'm well aware that in today's world of endless lies the truth is the enemy.

This is what is happening in real world today;

"US Middle Class Stays Dead: Homeownership Drops To 48 Year Low; Median Asking Rent Soars To All Time High"

"Gallup released its latest survey which confirmed just how dead the American Dream has become for tens if not hundreds of millions of Americans.

According to the poll, the number of Americans who did not currently own a home and say they do not think they will buy a home in "the foreseeable future," had risen by one third to 41%, vs. "only" 31% two years ago. Non-homeowners' expectations of buying a house in the next year or five years were unchanged, suggesting little change in the short-term housing market.

Earlier today, the US Census released its latest homeownership data, which confirmed that for what is left of America's middle class, owning a home has become virtually impossible, with the homeownership rate plunging from the lowest level since 1986, or 63.7%, to just 63.4% the lowest reading since the first quarter of 1967."

Time to take those rose colored glasses off and face the reality.
OP stated that his landlord has raised rent two times this year. Who has received a raise two times this year at his place of work???????

If this continues we will have a civil war in America, raise the interest rates now and Pop all bubbles that we have!!!!!

Old 07-28-2015, 01:43 PM

2,986 posts, read 4,555,831 times
If interest rates sky rocket and prices go down, does it make it any more affordable to purchase? Instead of paying principal on your loan you are going to be paying a ton of interest instead. Doesn't make it any more affordable to buy than it already is unless you pay straight cash.

Anyways, that is not really what this thread is about. Personally, I like Oregon a lot and that would be my first choice if I were the OP. Either that or Colorado or NC

Old 07-28-2015, 02:09 PM

686 posts, read 1,132,139 times
Denver is nice but getting expensive and congested fast. Fort Collins is a good suggestion. I'd also add to the list Bellingham, WA and Portland, ME. Two small cities but strong health care markets and gorgeous places. If you want a bigger city, you can't wrong with Minneapolis.

All of these suggestions are based on your comment that weather wasn't important.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego