Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2015, 02:23 AM

32 posts, read 66,363 times

Advertisements

I am planning on leaving San Diego ASAP. I have lived here for the past 12 years, and in Southern California my entire life (born and raised). That being said we just can't afford the cost of living anymore. My rent is going up again for the 2nd time this year and we are finally priced out. There is really no where local to rent that would be affordable, or desirable at the prices they are presently charging. It feels like we have been on a treadmill over the past few years with the rising prices, telling ourselves we need to make more, to save more, but never being able to catch up enough with the prices. So my question is this where does everyone go? Where are all the people moving to around the country? We don't have family anywhere but in Southern California so we can't move with family. Finally if anyone has any advice about moving, I would greatly appreciate it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2015, 08:35 AM

745 posts, read 1,567,734 times
I'm not moving. I have lived in San Diego area more than any other place during my lifetime but I would assume the eastern area of California is cheaper than the coastal areas, so you might check out Riverside or San Bernardino if you want to stay in Southern CA. Otherwise there are places all over the country that are cheaper than San Diego, try AZ, Texas, the midwest etc.

Of course employment also enters in. What type of work do you do and how available are jobs in your field in other, less expensive locations?

Old 07-28-2015, 08:37 AM

2,986 posts, read 4,575,132 times
sorry to hear that. would you consider the IE? otherwise maybe look into the Portland area if you want to stay on the west coast.

Old 07-28-2015, 08:50 AM

32 posts, read 66,363 times
I work in healthcare, mostly homecare, or hospice, but I am willing to working in a nursing home or assisted living for a while until I get established. My husband is in merchandising. There are pretty much jobs almost everywhere especially in larger cities. My main concern is schools, and crime in addition to cost of living. They don't have to be top schools just decent ones. One of my kids is in special ed so that is another consideration. I don't really care about the weather, or if there is a ton of stuff to do. I just want to be able to afford the rent, bills, food, and be able to save money like I used too a few years back before the prices started going up. I am tired of working so much and never seeing my kids, and then not having much at the end of the day left over.

Old 07-28-2015, 09:10 AM

332 posts, read 632,148 times
I've never been past SF, but I'd start with OR.

Old 07-28-2015, 09:34 AM

635 posts, read 745,914 times
Well Los Angeles and San Francisco are just as expensive with longer commutes.
Portland, Oregon is cheaper in the cost of living area but it is a trade off in some areas...do you like rain?
Seattle, WA is beautiful but again very expensive and traffic is a non-stop nightmare in the Seattle area...again do you like rain?

Old 07-28-2015, 09:50 AM

34 posts, read 35,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jalvn View Post
I am planning on leaving San Diego ASAP. I have lived here for the past 12 years, and in Southern California my entire life (born and raised). That being said we just can't afford the cost of living anymore. My rent is going up again for the 2nd time this year and we are finally priced out. There is really no where local to rent that would be affordable, or desirable at the prices they are presently charging. It feels like we have been on a treadmill over the past few years with the rising prices, telling ourselves we need to make more, to save more, but never being able to catch up enough with the prices. So my question is this where does everyone go? Where are all the people moving to around the country? We don't have family anywhere but in Southern California so we can't move with family. Finally if anyone has any advice about moving, I would greatly appreciate it.
The FED and our government needs to raise interest rates and POP all bubbles out there. You are just another victim among majority of Americans who have been deliberately destroyed by the FED. The FED chose to steal trillions of our public money to reward the Rich, Landlord class and to destroy the poor and middle class.

With 0 interest rates Americans are unable to save money or even pay off their debt. This insanity needs to STOP ASAP!!!!

What kind of leadership and Government doesn't want their citizens to save money?????

Old 07-28-2015, 09:55 AM

2,986 posts, read 4,575,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sd92101 View Post
The FED and our government needs to raise interest rates and POP all bubbles out there. You are just another victim among majority of Americans who have been deliberately destroyed by the FED. The FED chose to steal trillions of our public money to reward the Rich, Landlord class and to destroy the poor and middle class.

With 0 interest rates Americans are unable to save money or even pay off their debt. This insanity needs to STOP ASAP!!!!

What kind of leadership and Government doesn't want their citizens to save money?????
He's looking for advice on where to move, not a lecture on the strong dollar.

Old 07-28-2015, 10:02 AM

34 posts, read 35,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cardiff Kook View Post
He's looking for advice on where to move, not a lecture on the strong dollar.
He NEEDS to understand WHY he is FORCED to leave SD.
He NEEDS to KNOW what is happening in America today!!!!!

Basically the RICH are stealing as much as they can before we go off the cliff. Yes, we are going off the cliff, no way to avoid that.

Old 07-28-2015, 10:15 AM

2,160 posts, read 5,850,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sd92101 View Post
He NEEDS to understand WHY he is FORCED to leave SD.
He NEEDS to KNOW what is happening in America today!!!!!

Basically the RICH are stealing as much as they can before we go off the cliff. Yes, we are going off the cliff, no way to avoid that.
and apparently he needs to USE CAPS!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego