Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2015, 12:58 PM

8,479 posts, read 6,878,349 times

Advertisements

Lots of good posts. But my goodness only in a place like Southern California could a 500 to 600K home be described as a bargain.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2015, 02:46 PM

50,242 posts, read 46,997,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by teacherstress View Post
RosieSD you are just a treasure trove of knowledge! I spent many years as a teacher and I can tell you that so many of those good "ratings" different schools receive seem to be a reflection of many factors the school itself doesn't control. Some of these factors could be the ability to speak English fluently before entering school, the income and education level of the students' parents, etc. One would have to wonder why a particular house has a good elementary school but not a good junior high or high school. Could it be that different neighborhoods feed into this home's junior high and HS and you are dealing with a totally different demographic in the upper grades than you were in elementary school? This is what many of my teacher friends would argue although I am not an expert on this subject matter. My gut tells me it is a combination of factors but after being a teacher and now a mom, I am doing what I can to be sure my kids succeed in school by giving them the tools they need.

So a friend of mine is a hipster/crunchy mama who says that she is staying in her bad neighborhood with bad schools and changing her school from the inside out. She says that if families that value education stay in failing schools it will change the culture of the school and help the struggling kids. This sounds very nice and social, too.

At the end of the day, I just want to do the right thing by my kids. Any other opinions out there would be appreciated.
This would have failed for us. With the choice program you don't have any real "choice" but to send your kids to the best possible school you can because, for sure, everyone else further down the social ladder is going to be sending their kids to your local schools.

Lesson in futility.

Old 08-05-2015, 07:40 PM

5,151 posts, read 4,524,286 times
I've posted this before, if you must live in this area, another viable education alternative is Guajome Park Academy. It is a K-12 Charter School in Vista, but you do not need to live in VUSD to utilize it.

Old 08-05-2015, 07:46 PM

5,151 posts, read 4,524,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by teacherstress View Post
So a friend of mine is a hipster/crunchy mama who says that she is staying in her bad neighborhood with bad schools and changing her school from the inside out. She says that if families that value education stay in failing schools it will change the culture of the school and help the struggling kids. This sounds very nice and social, too.
BTW, this is utopian nonsense.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego