Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2015, 05:30 PM

9,807 posts, read 11,134,777 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrannySmithApple View Post
Hi all,

We just moved to RB from DC for my new job. We are looking to buy a th for under 600K in a good school district. I'm not a fan of commuting, so I would like to stay within 30min rush hour distance. Are there any places we can afford, that are less cookie-cutter, suburban feel than RB? Don't get me wrong - I think RB is really nice, safe neighborhood,.. It's just too 'normal' for my taste.
First world problems..."too cookie cutter, "too new", "too sterile".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2015, 07:43 AM

1,180 posts, read 3,126,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hitman619 View Post
This^^^
I don't get why so many parents don't understand this

I call 3rd on the Ramona Recommendation. Don't discount Poway either. There are some nice older parts of Poway( near Poway high school) that are not cookie cutter.
Yes, I was thinking of the older parts. I also like Ramona. If he doesn't mind the commute, Fallbrook, Bonsall areas might also work. But I don't know about schools in those areas.

The point is, I believe, there are many choices both more rural feeling and more urban if the OP (or anyone) wants some where that has "personality."

Old 08-08-2015, 07:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by msgsing View Post
I'm always amazed by some of the pretentious comments made by a few posters in the San Diego forum. Everyone of the neighborhoods derided in these posts are respectable middle class places to live in one of the most affluent areas in America.

The must be thousands of people here and around the world who would love to live in one of these communities described as cookie cutter and soulless. This isn't Bangladesh folks. With a 600K budget you'll still have to live with the riff raff.
I don't think the neighborhoods are being derided. It's just that many of us prefer a different vibe even if we are not living where we'd prefer to be. But that does not mean other preferences are wrong. Just different. For example, I prefer older houses and buildings in general. But you might like new construction. Nothing wrong with either choice. I might prefer a neighborhood where all the houses are different styles but that might seem too chaotic to you. Again, neither is wrong, just different preferences.

Old 08-08-2015, 08:10 PM

6,438 posts, read 6,913,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hitman619 View Post
This^^^
I don't get why so many parents don't understand this
When picking a place to send my kids to school, I don't really want to live where "the lack of educational goal setting among the parents" is a major problem...

Old 08-09-2015, 10:31 AM

2 posts, read 3,683 times
Thanks so much everybody for all of your input! I love SD and I do think I am so fortunate to have moved here and I really want to embrace that uniqueness. I want to fix up a little bungalow close to the beach, or maybe get a 100y house by Balboa, or get something in the country with the mountain views and grow grapes. What I don't want is to get a cute 3br in 4S ranch that looks exactly the same as my gf's house in Hartford Connecticut and drive to Olive Garden on Friday nights. It's clean, safe, nice comes with the VIP pool but it's just not me.
I looked up Ramona and I have to say it's fabulous! The views are amazing, the houses are grand, and unique and comes with lots of land.. I will def tour a few of these homes.
However I would really like to live closer to downtown where I could walk places, I think CV, Torrey Pines areas as well as Bay Park are really nice. do you guys think the prices will drop at least a bit in November?
I also love the beach and would LOVE to live in Encinitas, Carlsbad, etc.. But this would put me at 1 hour commute I think..

Old 08-09-2015, 11:41 AM

2,986 posts, read 4,575,132 times
Quote:
do you guys think the prices will drop at least a bit in November?
November is only a few months away. I wouldn't hold my breath. What you are seeing now is probably what you will see in November

Old 08-09-2015, 03:47 PM

258 posts, read 533,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skelaki View Post
I don't think the neighborhoods are being derided.
The OP said suburbs of Rancho Bernardo is "killing my soul."

That can be viewed as derisive by people who would want to live in a community like that.

Old 08-09-2015, 04:55 PM

9 posts, read 12,561 times
The price range won't get you anything in Kensington. Normal Heights is possible but the houses are small for today's families.

Old 08-09-2015, 06:32 PM

6,893 posts, read 8,929,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cindydavisbroker View Post
. Normal Heights is possible but the houses are small for today's families.
Says who

Old 08-10-2015, 01:06 AM

Quote:
Thanks so much everybody for all of your input! I love SD and I do think I am so fortunate to have moved here and I really want to embrace that uniqueness. I want to fix up a little bungalow close to the beach, or maybe get a 100y house by Balboa, or get something in the country with the mountain views and grow grapes. What I don't want is to get a cute 3br in 4S ranch that looks exactly the same as my gf's house in Hartford Connecticut and drive to Olive Garden on Friday nights. It's clean, safe, nice comes with the VIP pool but it's just not me.
I looked up Ramona and I have to say it's fabulous! The views are amazing, the houses are grand, and unique and comes with lots of land.. I will def tour a few of these homes.
However I would really like to live closer to downtown where I could walk places, I think CV, Torrey Pines areas as well as Bay Park are really nice. do you guys think the prices will drop at least a bit in November?
I also love the beach and would LOVE to live in Encinitas, Carlsbad, etc.. But this would put me at 1 hour commute I think..
Unless your budget is $1 million plus (emphasis on +) being very close to the beach is unlikely, not impossible but highly improbable, especially in a single family home. Torrey Pines La Jolla Homes for Sale - Beach Cities Real Estate This site can give you an idea of what to expect price wise.

Balboa Park San Diego Real Estate - 2 Homes For Sale | Zillow

North Park San Diego Real Estate - 97 Homes For Sale | Zillow

Homes For Sale in Hillcrest - Quick Search - Search San Diego Houses For Sale

Besides Balboa Park area, I would also check out North Park, Hillcrest, South Park, Normal Heights. And, possibly Kennsington but that might be above your budget.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego