Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2015, 09:13 AM

50,288 posts, read 47,043,365 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by someguy10 View Post
By having 6 months or more of all expenses saved in cash or near-cash--this over and above the down payment cash. Of course people cutting their budget super close to begin with are probably going to find it hard to grow/keep the cushion.

Also, by being realistic about the future. Having two earners each making $100K obviously provides more job loss protection than a single $200K earner (some of the benefit is lost if both are in the same industry/same employer/etc.). But I believe at least several DINKS have posted here about moving to CA with kids on the near horizon. At a minimum, there is going to be the high expense of daycare coming in. Plus the whopper of the possibility that one of the two may want or need to stop working.
Yep, me getting hit by a car on my bike almost sunk us as I was out of work for almost a year with surgeries and the ensuing court fight.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2015, 09:35 AM

2,986 posts, read 4,577,410 times
1ATP did you get a nice settlement at least? Sorry to hear that..

Old 08-15-2015, 09:44 AM

686 posts, read 1,138,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oddstray View Post
And, as always, the fly in the ointment is the possibility of recession and layoffs. How does one mitigate that risk?
For me, it is making my primary home in a city where I know I can always find a high paying job. As of right now, the job is very flexible and allows me to spend at least half my time in SD. But I sleep better knowing I am not beholden to the San Diego economy and sunshine tax.

Old 08-15-2015, 01:48 PM

771 posts, read 835,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sfosyd View Post
For me, it is making my primary home in a city where I know I can always find a high paying job. As of right now, the job is very flexible and allows me to spend at least half my time in SD. But I sleep better knowing I am not beholden to the San Diego economy and sunshine tax.
+1

This works, too, if you have the option. Also, if your primary home is in a lower state income tax area and you are a high earner, the state income tax savings could pay for the primary residence and then some.

Old 08-16-2015, 04:26 PM

1,175 posts, read 1,912,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sfosyd View Post
The best option is not being beholden to SD for work. If you can do this, it's a great place to live and you never really worry about losing your job here. But at the same time, for many of us, it also means you might need to travel elsewhere because there really are few clients, high paying clients, that exist in SD. Sometimes you get to work remote often, sometimes you don't, but I'd rather be doing that than relying on the few large companies in SD. And most of other companies don't even pay well anyway.

Old 08-16-2015, 04:27 PM

1,078 posts, read 1,076,568 times
Same with Orange County. Not sure how people are buying homes when the avg income here is 70k.

Old 08-16-2015, 04:36 PM

9,807 posts, read 11,142,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by incognitoe View Post
Same with Orange County. Not sure how people are buying homes when the avg income here is 70k.
Well, yes, that and the fact that it takes over 141,000 to buy a median priced home in OC.

Old 08-16-2015, 04:46 PM

771 posts, read 835,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
Yep, me getting hit by a car on my bike almost sunk us as I was out of work for almost a year with surgeries and the ensuing court fight.
As a fellow cyclist, sorry to hear that and hope you are fully recovered.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego