Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-06-2015, 10:15 AM

1 posts, read 702 times

Advertisements

Greetings! Our family is relocating in stages to SD--husband is there with job now in Sorrento Valley (staying with family in Mira Mesa at the moment) and our son and I are waiting until next June, while I finish out my current work contract. We're fairly open to ideas at this point and have some time to try and work it out. Here are the various criteria we are considering/juggling.

DH's job is about a half mile off the Coaster station in SV. He's trying to avoid long commutes, but is open to reasonable drives (He likes his commute now from Mira Mesa) and is open to a Coaster/bike option.

Kiddo will most likely be in private school--first choice is at Torrey Pines/La Jolla Shores intersection, so pretty crappy traffic. Also looking at Francis Parker and LJCD.

I will be looking for part or full time work, my areas are education, arts, non-profit, etc. and most of my leads thus far are either downtown or La Jolla area. If I can't find work (or even if I do and want to pick up some more $) my other job is teaching private music lessons and arts ed. for homeschoolers--which means I either need studio access or to live in a home where I can teach (i.e. prob would need to be SF or detached townhome).

Budget considerations--for purchasing a home I think we could go up to 800k, depending on the tax burden, HOA fees, etc. Would like to keep it under 3k per month if possible. Going higher means private school is out, and I'm pretty solid on that right now. I'm open to a condo, especially in the right location and if might be a possible good convert to a rental property in a couple years, if we want to move. However, I'd want a condo purchase to be significantly less (under 450k) since it will limit my ability to work at home. Ideally, we'd like to rent for a year while looking, but would like to keep rent under $2500. Willing to do 2br in a rental, prefer 3br or a 2br with den or extra room in a purchase.

In terms of community, we are a mixed bag. Hubby favors malls and big box stores, I like funky neighborhoods (ex NYCer) and the kiddo is hoping for nearby pool and park options--assuming we will all need to compromise. I would prefer NOT to live in Mira Mesa, (want distance from the in-laws) but if I'm stupid to rule this out, please convince me.

Obviously it would be convenient to everything to live in La Jolla, but until we win the lottery, twice, that does not seem possible. I know we can't afford the beach right now, but I'd prefer not to live in the desert. So, what are our best options in between? TIA for all opinions and advice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2015, 09:06 PM

6,420 posts, read 11,590,922 times
Given your budget and the private schools, look at Clairmont Mesa. Not for rentals - rental apartments in CM are rather sad. You you could get a nice house, and it's not horrible to either SV or downtown. Again, though, public schools are questionable.

Old 09-08-2015, 10:26 AM

147 posts, read 157,512 times
That doesn't make any sense given what you're looking for. Actually, take a look a little inland around the 56.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
View detailed profiles of: