Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2015, 12:54 PM

69 posts, read 76,310 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone. I just moved back to San Diego after getting a job with the school district. After spending a couple of weeks looking at apartments I ended up getting a town home walking distance to Lake Murray in La Mesa. I'm overpaying in my opinion as several of places I looked at were overpriced with the not as expensive ones already rented. I guess it's the price you pay when moving to San Diego in the summer where there's a number of colleges and universities in the area! I somewhat gave up on Pacific Beach and Ocean Beach. I found that many of these apartments were tiny inside with 1 pathetic closet, no garbage disposal, no patio for my dog to hang out on, etc. I may be too old to be in those parts of town. I'm 30 and I don't want to hear people talking and drinking at 2AM on a Tuesday...

Anyway I'm getting wifi and TV access this week. I've contacted Dish, Cox, and Direct TV for packages and rate information. Dish ended up being ruled out by me because they have expensive activation fees which I found out over the phone and not through their website. Through Costco or Sam's Club, Direct TV ends up being almost $300 cheaper (based off 2 years) if I get DirectTV for TV and internet access a la carte through Cox.

Are any of you DirectTV customers or have been? Although I'm in a complex, they allow dishes as long as they aren't attached. I'm trying to see if I should just pay the extra $ to go through Cox since it's not a satellite and would make billing slightly easier. Are a lot of wires involved? My dog doesn't chew wires or anything but just want to make sure this isn't all that bulky altogether.

Also the Haggen Supermarket is going out of business (used to be a convenient Von's). Any word on the street if another supermarket is taking over the lease? Was convenient to just be able to walk over to get milk or juice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2015, 07:08 AM

Anyone? =(

Old 09-07-2015, 09:12 AM

7,378 posts, read 12,661,333 times
Give it time. People are out doing Labor Day weekend stuff.

Welcome to a great area! But if no members live in your immediate area, you're not going to get responses about local supermarkets etc. However, I can tell you that we're considering switching from Cox to Direct TV. The Cox Cable quality has gone downhill the past year, with pixilating images and channels going grey. That may be our cable, but after numerous calls to Tech Support we haven't gotten anyone to come out and check the system they installed. So we 're not happy with the service. Besides, the On Demand menu is slow and cumbersome.

Old 09-07-2015, 09:26 AM

50,247 posts, read 47,005,641 times
This topic has been beaten into submission. Just use the search this thread function for all the history.

Old 09-12-2015, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
This topic has been beaten into submission. Just use the search this thread function for all the history.
I'm quite aware how to use the search function. I wanted current information, not out of date information. Maybe to be more helpful you could have searched what you considered to be current information for me? Penny for your thought.

Old 09-12-2015, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCGSD View Post
I'm quite aware how to use the search function. I wanted current information, not out of date information. Maybe to be more helpful you could have searched what you considered to be current information for me? Penny for your thought.
So basically, you're lazy. This was talked about as recent as last month. To death.

Old 09-12-2015, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Fork Fantast View Post
Give it time. People are out doing Labor Day weekend stuff.

Welcome to a great area! But if no members live in your immediate area, you're not going to get responses about local supermarkets etc. However, I can tell you that we're considering switching from Cox to Direct TV. The Cox Cable quality has gone downhill the past year, with pixilating images and channels going grey. That may be our cable, but after numerous calls to Tech Support we haven't gotten anyone to come out and check the system they installed. So we 're not happy with the service. Besides, the On Demand menu is slow and cumbersome.
I ended up going with Cox overall and had an interesting experience this time around... I didn't get feedback on this thread so initially I was going to do a mix of Direct TV and Cox for internet access. When I called Cox to downgrade before installation, I was actually given what I consider to be a great deal (I called a few times before but wasn't given any real special or bonuses). $125 a month the first year for HBO and Showtime for a year, 3 DVRs, a phone line, wifi, and a $100 Visa Card. The following year it would jump up to $155 a month but no HBO and Showtime (I'll drop the phone line during the 2nd year). I really don't need the phone line but it ended up being cheaper getting the phone line per month and they didn't have the $80 installation fee with that so I just got the bundle. With Direct TV (even after the $200 gift card from Costco and $50 friend fee), it would have been a bit more expensive so I just went with Cox due to just having 1 provider and the cost ended up beating Direct TV.

I had to have a family member stay with the installer because I just started my job and didn't want to start off missing work already. As you all are aware, it's been hot as hell here. The installer did something so stupid. I had just provided him my old router which I purchased not even a year ago to avoid the router rental fees. He left it on top of the modem so when I got back at work, my router was dead from over heating! I called up Cox to complain and after maybe an hour long phone call (including holds), they finally agreed to credit me the price of my router so I can purchase a new one to get Wifi.

Old 09-12-2015, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
So basically, you're lazy. This was talked about as recent as last month. To death.
Links?

Old 09-12-2015, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCGSD View Post
Links?
Go to forum
San Diego

Search this forum

Direct TV

ATT
Cox
Dish
Time Warner

Old 09-12-2015, 01:38 PM

1,615 posts, read 1,640,422 times
Have Direct tv and no problems. Have wi fi through Time Warner.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego