Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2015, 01:30 PM

69 posts, read 76,350 times

Advertisements

Are any of you having a roach problem? At work (granted I work in Mountain View) there's a ton of roaches. Yesterday there was a massive one under my desk while I was working.

When I moved into my apartment, I saw a small roach coming out of my sink!

I'm guessing it has to do with the humidity.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2015, 01:35 PM

15,129 posts, read 32,326,222 times
I haven't seen any roaches, but I had drain flies coming from the kitchen drain, and took care of that problem right away. I didn't have any bug problems last year, so I'm sure any problems are from the heat and humidity.

Old 09-12-2015, 01:50 PM

3,493 posts, read 3,203,885 times
"Big" roaches are different from "small" roaches. The small ones are likely German cockroaches that actually "infest" houses and are based indoors - usually seen like near sinks, stoves, cupboards, etc. Those are best eradicated with boric acid powder wafted around in the areas they frequent. It must be kept dry! It clings to them electrostatically, and they (and their nest mates) ingest it and die. Takes a few weeks to notice the results, but, those results are permanent. Boric acid is cheap, best found online these days, and its results are fast and for good. Nothing works better.

Large roaches (sometimes called "palmetto bugs") are outside inhabitants usually where there are palm trees nearby. One or two somehow find their way into buildings usually during the summer. They are not permanent inhabitants of houses etc. No need to address those with the exception of the remote possibility they are imports from SE Asia which has large roaches that infest houses. Very rare to see those in the US.

Old 09-12-2015, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwinbrookNine View Post
"Big" roaches are different from "small" roaches. The small ones are likely German cockroaches that actually "infest" houses and are based indoors - usually seen like near sinks, stoves, cupboards, etc. Those are best eradicated with boric acid powder wafted around in the areas they frequent. It must be kept dry! It clings to them electrostatically, and they (and their nest mates) ingest it and die. Takes a few weeks to notice the results, but, those results are permanent. Boric acid is cheap, best found online these days, and its results are fast and for good. Nothing works better.

Large roaches (sometimes called "palmetto bugs") are outside inhabitants usually where there are palm trees nearby. One or two somehow find their way into buildings usually during the summer. They are not permanent inhabitants of houses etc. No need to address those with the exception of the remote possibility they are imports from SE Asia which has large roaches that infest houses. Very rare to see those in the US.
Should I just pour boric acid down my sink? I just moved into my place and didn't see any in the cabinets.

Old 09-12-2015, 02:21 PM

When I lived in Tucson, everyone poured bleach down their sinks to keep the sewer roaches from coming out. I would try that. Boric acid is a powder, so you can't pour it down your sink.

The massive roach that you saw at work is probably a water bug. But when I worked in the Pentagon, the roaches were so big that we would put little American flags on them. And the rats were the size of a housecat.

Old 09-12-2015, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moved View Post
When I lived in Tucson, everyone poured bleach down their sinks to keep the sewer roaches from coming out. I would try that. Boric acid is a powder, so you can't pour it down your sink.

The massive roach that you saw at work is probably a water bug. But when I worked in the Pentagon, the roaches were so big that we would put little American flags on them. And the rats were the size of a housecat.

The sinkhole is fairly large though. You think bleach would still be better than boric acid?

EWWWWW on the flags!! This thing was massive and had huge antenna things (I don't want to look up pictures of roaches to see what the actual name of those 2 things are called). My office also has some bug feces. I'm thinking it's from the roaches. The roaches at work are all different sizes. So far I had that large one in my office under my desk and then there was a huge dead one in the bathroom.

Old 09-12-2015, 03:07 PM

If you have all those roaches where you work, they need to call in an exterminator to start the process of getting rid of them. In the meantime, get some Combat get for roaches, it works really well.

Old 09-12-2015, 07:18 PM

4,539 posts, read 12,404,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moved View Post

Oh yes, the Pentagon roaches. Those were some nasty m-fers. Many of my office mates refused to drink from the water fountains because of them.

Never saw the rats though.

As for the roaches here in SD, I've been seeing the big ones out on the sidewalks. I'd scream like a girl if I ever encountered one inside my house.

Old 09-12-2015, 08:36 PM

50,289 posts, read 47,043,365 times
Usually it's water bugs here and if you have ice plant right outside that is the culprit. I've never seen a place with a lot of small roaches here.

Old 09-12-2015, 08:43 PM

1,615 posts, read 1,641,658 times
I use boric acid powder and a big bottle of powder is under $3. Got mine at Family Dollar but many places sell it. Keep drain covers in sinks and use a small night light as **** roaches hate light. I use the powder around the patio to keep down the insect population outside.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego