Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-23-2015, 04:45 PM

1 posts, read 2,250 times

Advertisements

I am looking to buy a home in Spring Valley. I hear that there are pockets of good areas. Does anyone know where they are. Also, are there neighborhood watch established there too?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2015, 05:32 PM

15,129 posts, read 32,326,222 times
Use the search feature for the CD Forum, using the words "Spring Valley," and you should find the answers to your questions.

Old 09-23-2015, 06:48 PM

8,390 posts, read 7,646,246 times
May I ask why you're attracted to Spring Valley? And, are you looking at homes in specific areas? If we know where you're looking it might be easier to give feedback.

Spring Valley overall has traditionally had one of the highest levels of violent crime in the unincorporated area. But, as you note, there are pockets that are safer so you are smart to be asking questions.

As a general rule of thumb, the closer you get to the Rancho San Diego area (parts of which are technically in Spring Valley) and the La Mesa border the better the area gets. The closer you are to the intersection of Jamacha with 125 and 54, the iffier things are.

In other words, the further east you get in Spring Valley, the better the area will generally be.

It's a bit of pain to use, but you can check crime statistics for surrounding areas of specific addresses here: Crime Mapping - Building Safer Communities! (Be sure to set the search for the last six months, otherwise you only see the last week, which doesn't give you a full picture).

If you have kids (or even if you don't), you'll also want to pay attention to the schools serving different parts of Spring Valley, especially at the high school level. Spring Valley is part of the Grossmont Union High School District and there are a lot of differences between the Grossmont High Schools. The three main high schools serving Spring Valley are Monte Vista, Steele Canyon, and Mount Miguel. In terms of academic quality, I'd rank them in this order: Steele Canyon, Monte Vista and Mount Miguel, with Steele Canyon being heads and shoulders above the other two. The differences in the high schools will be reflected in the home prices so even if you don't have kids, your home will be a better resale value if you're served by one of the "better" high schools in Grossmont Union like Steele Canyon.

Another issue that may be important to some is that shopping and restaurant options are somewhat limited or inconvenient to get to from some areas of Spring Valley. This may not seem like a big deal at first, but if you have to drive 15 minutes to get to a good restaurant or a decent sized supermarket, it can begin to bug you. Again, the further east you get (towards Rancho SD and La Mesa), the more convenient and plentiful shopping and restaurant options will be. (Although no one would call this area a hot spot for nightlife and entertainment).

Good luck with your home search.

Last edited by RosieSD; 09-23-2015 at 07:21 PM..

Old 09-27-2015, 12:35 AM

601 posts, read 1,451,774 times
If there are pockets of good areas, they must be pretty dang small.

Old 09-27-2015, 05:49 AM

1,014 posts, read 1,576,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meme2016 View Post
I am looking to buy a home in Spring Valley.
Why. It's mostly a dump. Sure you could buy in the newer construction areas, which are safer -- but for the same money, you could be in a superior neighborhood with much better schools. Do schools matter to you? If so, last place I'd send my kids is Sweetwater, a black hole of incompetence and corruption.

Old 09-27-2015, 04:00 PM

8,390 posts, read 7,646,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by USDefault View Post
...last place I'd send my kids is Sweetwater, a black hole of incompetence and corruption.
Spring Valley isn't in the Sweetwater District. Spring Valley is part of the Spring Valley-La Mesa School District for elementary through Middle School, and then part of the Grossmont Union High School District for high school.

Last edited by RosieSD; 09-27-2015 at 04:29 PM..

Old 09-27-2015, 08:59 PM

147 posts, read 157,623 times
Hi Meme, are you from the east county area? Have you thought about La Mesa? I'm from there and think that would be a more desirable area. How soon are you thinking? This year? Next year?

Old 09-30-2015, 08:04 PM

4,750 posts, read 3,567,077 times
I lived on Dictionary Hill for four years and never had a problem there - - incredibly quiet (except for coyotes). As another poster said, though, almost all of my activity (shopping and such) was towards Rancho San Diego. The areas around 125 are dicey (for San Diego - - not bad versus bad areas in other cities).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego