Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2015, 10:43 AM

7,409 posts, read 6,553,115 times

Advertisements

I've eaten in TJ many times, though not Chinese, and have heard there are a couple of real good places...if you make it up to LA, check out Hop Li in Chinatown or visit the San Gabriel Valley/Monterrey Park... PF Changs is an Americanized chain--same owner as Fleming's Steakhouse.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2015, 11:55 AM

8,484 posts, read 6,891,592 times
Jasmine. China Max.

Old 10-24-2015, 03:05 PM

8,390 posts, read 11,604,899 times
It's all pretty good on Convoy and all around there. I love to shop there, I always go down there to get a good rice cooker and steamer. Definitely worth the trip.

If you're ever in the mood for a longer one take the train or drive up to Little Tokyo. Try the Orochan's spicy Ramen challenge. See if you make it to number 3, or 2.

Old 10-25-2015, 12:27 AM

1,658 posts, read 3,547,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassberto View Post
Tofu House. Not Convoy Tofu House, just Tofu House
I beg to differ sir. Convoy Tofu House all the way!

Old 10-25-2015, 09:55 AM

9,807 posts, read 11,142,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PoppySead View Post
It's all pretty good on Convoy and all around there. I love to shop there, I always go down there to get a good rice cooker and steamer. Definitely worth the trip.

If you're ever in the mood for a longer one take the train or drive up to Little Tokyo. Try the Orochan's spicy Ramen challenge. See if you make it to number 3, or 2.
Kearney Mesa has much better Asian fare than it did a few years ago; however, I find it be no match to what we have in North OC or LA (e.g. Koreatown, where I went yesterday). I am just curious as to why you eat down in Convoy when you live in Laguna Niguel (and Phoenix). North OC is 15 minutes away on the 73. Perhaps you don't make it to Garden Grove/Westminster/Fountain Valley etc. where we have amazing pho, bahn mi, boba places, Korean bakeries, sushi, shabu shabu, ramen, Korean BBQ, weekend vegetarian food from Buddhist Temples, etc. Is it that it is simply more convenient for you to stop in San Diego from Phoenix on your way to OC? I assume you take the 8 and not the 10.

Old 10-25-2015, 11:04 AM

7,409 posts, read 6,553,115 times
do they have any higher end/fusion Vietnamese, comparable to places in the Bay Area, in Garden Grove/North OC that I might have missed you can recommend?...might be up there end of November.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvSouthOC View Post
Kearney Mesa has much better Asian fare than it did a few years ago; however, I find it be no match to what we have in North OC or LA (e.g. Koreatown, where I went yesterday). I am just curious as to why you eat down in Convoy when you live in Laguna Niguel (and Phoenix). North OC is 15 minutes away on the 73. Perhaps you don't make it to Garden Grove/Westminster/Fountain Valley etc. where we have amazing pho, bahn mi, boba places, Korean bakeries, sushi, shabu shabu, ramen, Korean BBQ, weekend vegetarian food from Buddhist Temples, etc. Is it that it is simply more convenient for you to stop in San Diego from Phoenix on your way to OC? I assume you take the 8 and not the 10.

Old 10-25-2015, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elchevere View Post
do they have any higher end/fusion Vietnamese, comparable to places in the Bay Area, in Garden Grove/North OC that I might have missed you can recommend?...might be up there end of November.
Vietnamese food is so competitive here that people go to restaurants based on their favorite dishes and the perception (or reality) that a given place tops all others in that particular food. There are just that many to chose from. My friends will take me to some places just for spring rolls, others for fried spring rolls, pho, vermicelli noodles, banh mi bo kho and still others for banh mi or banh don lon. Usually outsiders are directed to Brodards since it is considered a high end place recommended to everyone. Expect a very long wait.

Vietnamese food is at its core fushion (Chinese, SE Asian, and French). If you like Cajun boil-ups, come to the Broiling Crab, a Cajun-Vietnamese fushion chain up here which you should try if you have not already. There is also a difference of North Vietnamese vs. South Vietnamese cooking (most Vietnamese Americans are obviously from the south).

I know what you are thinking of since I have had Viet fushion in San Jose. But since my friends have steered me to the best of any given dish, and this is an area known for authenticity due to the huge population, I am not sure I am qualified to tell you which places would be most fushiony ala the Bay Area (those places are good up there, but obviously not authentic).

Old 10-25-2015, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvSouthOC View Post
I take the train or drive down to SD a lot to see my daughter who goes to school there. Or go that way if i drive back from PHX. My sister lives there as well in Point Loma. One of my daughter's favorite things to do is shop at Daiso, and next door is a great little shop that sells kitchen supplies. Plus she in fluent in Japanese and hits up the music shop there. Sometimes I venture into LA but when I'm in OC, which isn't usually until late November unless there's a problem, I'm working.
As soon as I pay off my home in OC I'll retire. Sell off my PHX business and home and chilax. Until then I'm in PHX more than OC or SD. I was born in CA so more family is there. I use to live in PB in my twenties.
I try more Japanese places because my cooking is better to us than most Korean places. Lol, but I do go to the markets.
Orochans is in L.A. btw

Are you still in OC or are you looking into SD?

Last edited by PoppySead; 10-25-2015 at 01:01 PM..

Old 10-25-2015, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoppySead View Post
I take the train or drive down to SD a lot to see my daughter who goes to school there. Or go that way if i drive back from PHX. My sister lives there as well in Point Loma. One of my daughter's favorite things to do is shop at Daiso, and next door is a great little shop that sells kitchen supplies. Plus she in fluent in Japanese and hits up the music shop there. Sometimes I venture into LA but when I'm in OC, which isn't usually until late November unless there's a problem, I'm working.
As soon as I pay off my home in OC I'll retire. Sell off my PHX business and home and chilax. Until then I'm in PHX more than OC or SD. I was born in CA so more family is there. I use to live in PB in my twenties.
I try more Japanese places because my cooking is better to us than most Korean places. Lol, but I do go to the markets.
Orochans is in L.A. btw

Are you still in OC or are you looking into SD?
Yes I am still in OC (LN) and not looking to move back to SD really. I like it here very much. I too have family in SD so I am there often. I would consider a move if I could retire much sooner than forecast and go for an even slower pace in a place like Solana Beach, Cardiff or if I could get a one-story estate home in or around Fairbanks Ranch (ha). However, I am not sure that would offer much of a life change other than closer proximity to San Diego proper. In a perfect world, and with unlimited funds, I would live in OC or SD for 6 to 7 months out of the year, live in London in a nicely situated flat for 4 months out of the year (summer) and maintain a country home/cabin in beautiful Montana for relaxation trips.

Well I am jealous but also very much admire that you are paying off your OC house, presumably working your tail off. I dislike Phoenix so I admire you for doing what you need to do.

I too once lived in PB (and many other areas in SD county).

As for Daiso, we have it in Irvine, Anaheim, etc. Yes, cool store, but I always wonder if the bowls etc. contain lead. I am scared to go there since I have to not eat seaweed due to its iron content, and would be tempted especially if I see the spicy packs.

As for Japanese food, yes, understood. Why pay money for, say, sukiyaki when you can make it so easily? Same for shabu shabu lol. I do have a weak spot for Korean above all other cuisines due to the spiciness of the food.

A little off-topic but I was also recently in Japantown in LA (which is very trendy too) and there are great Japanese fushion places plus shabu shabu joints, you name it - tons of people and very much alive, not just a weekday lunch place like some other places.

Old 10-25-2015, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elchevere View Post
Rice Paper Bistro is good. Westminster. Song Longs is around there as well. Can't compare as I haven't had any in SD.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego