Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2015, 09:15 AM

4 posts, read 10,147 times

Advertisements

This is really 2 questions, both about public schools. I'd love to hear from anyone with experience with any of the IB options in San Diego. Also anyone whose child is at least somewhat dyslexic and has been well-served by their IEP.

Background about us: 3 kids ages 8, 10 and 12, separating and buying 2 houses in San Diego area--meaning we can be in different districts to suit the (different) needs of our children. They will start school there next fall. Only commutes to consider are school and airport.

Ideally, we'd like our children to be in IB schools--PYP, MYP and DP. However, the IB doesn't seem to have caught on there--just 4 elementary, 2 middle and 2 high schools. Does anyone have personal experience with any of these programs? Thoughts?

We were thinking I should buy in LaJolla as we like it, can afford it, and the schools there seem generally good. But they are not IB. Though my ex could buy/rent in Pacific Beach if we hear good things about the IB schools there (Kate Sessions, Pacific Beach Middle, Mission Bay High)...

Our other question/concern relates to the strong possibility of our youngest being dyslexic. He will be going into 4th grade and has an IEP, but has tested at very high levels of comprehension. So he needs to be taught skills to manage his dyslexia while still being challenged. We've heard Del Mar Union is excellent, and very capable when it comes to special needs. Any input on this based on experience would be very welcome.

For him, we're trying to figure out if LA Jolla Elementary (we know there are other schools in La Jolla but have found a house with this assigned school) would be good. OR if he'd get the help he needs at any of the IB PYP schools. OR if Dad should be in Del Mar so he can be in a Del Mar Union school...! (Del Mar is the end of the line of possibility btw--Rancho Bernardo, Poway...no way.)

Any information on these school issues would be greatly appreciated. We are already aware of the cost of living in La Jolla and Del Mar, so that need not be addressed.

Thanks! This is tough to figure out. I hope *someone* has *something* to share!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2015, 09:18 AM

6,893 posts, read 8,933,303 times
Roosevelt MS and San Diego HS are IB schools, sited more downtown.

Old 10-29-2015, 09:28 AM

Thank you for responding! Any inside info on these or the other IB schools? The online reviews and Great Schools reports are pretty confounding!

Old 10-29-2015, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennyinpt View Post
Thank you for responding! Any inside info on these or the other IB schools? The online reviews and Great Schools reports are pretty confounding!
What specific inside info are you looking for?

Old 10-29-2015, 01:06 PM

The quality of the education; responsiveness of faculty and administration, supportive atmosphere (or not), parent satisfaction, community feel...how the schools are perceived, and whether parents of students in the schools agree or disagree...the usual stuff.

Old 10-29-2015, 01:20 PM

Quote:
The quality of the education; responsiveness of faculty and administration, supportive atmosphere (or not), parent satisfaction, community feel...how the schools are perceived, and whether parents of students in the schools agree or disagree...the usual stuff.
Generally positive reg. Roosevelt and SDHS IB programs

Old 10-29-2015, 09:12 PM

8,390 posts, read 7,641,649 times
May I ask: Why IB?

If I had the money to live in La Jolla/Del Mar/Solana Beach and send my kids to La Jolla High School or Torrey Pines High or San Dieguito High or even Del Norte H.S., I wouldn't hesitate to choose those schools with their strong AP programs over IB at SDHS or Mission Bay. The above are all EXCELLENT high schools -- in fact, they often appear on those "best high school lists." College placement at these schools is terrific because colleges know the level of academic quality of these schools. The feeder elementary and middle schools for them are also excellent.

Part of the reason the IB programs were established at San Diego High and Mission Bay High is that those schools have historically been under-performing schools. SDHS has the oldest IB program in San Diego County, so they've been doing it the longest. But, it's a bit of a great program (IB) stuck in a so-so school. (Same to an extent with Mission Bay). You'll want, therefore, to look at the whole picture of the school, and not just the IB program, when comparing them to non-IB options.

Have you already discovered the state Academic Performance Index site, where you can easily compare overall test scores and get the low down on the student demographics of all of the schools in San Diego County? Might be more useful than greatschools. Here's the link: API County List of Schools

Also, call each school that you are considering and ask for a copy of their most recent "School Report Card" which will give you additional information. For high schools, I always recommend that prospective parents call the school counseling office and ask for a copy of the school's College Profile. This is a report that high schools give to college admissions folks along with the student transcripts. This will give you information about the percentage of students going on to college, the number of AP courses (if IB is not offered) available, and where students go to college. It's an excellent resource for understanding the differences between high schools.

Definitely try to tour the different schools. At the IB schools, ask for a tour of the IB program but also of the rest of the school so you can get the full picture of the academic and social environment. You may decide that strong schools with an extensive AP program will work just as well.

See if you can make an appointment with the IEP coordinator at the elementary schools you're considering to discuss your son's needs and how the school might meet those needs. Not all school IEP coordinators will meet with prospective parents (they are busy people) but that tells you something too.

One thing you may want to also consider is whether a student with dyslexia would be best served by the intense reading, writing and foreign language requirements of the IB program, or whether AP classes in his areas of strength might be a better choice. That of course will be dependent on your son's needs and diagnosis -- just something to consider.

If you can afford it, you may also want to investigate some of the County's excellent private schools, especially Francis Parker, La Jolla Country Day, and Bishops.

Good luck with your move!

Old 10-30-2015, 11:03 AM

Wow, Rosie, I can't thank you enough for that thoughtful response! Very helpful, and very much appreciated.

I hadn't seen the API site, just Great Schools and a few other not terribly informative ones. It's a good resource to know about.

We like the IB for its philosophy overall. We'd like our children to have as broad a world-view as possible; to think beyond themselves as a matter of course. (We can emphasize this at home, but there's no getting around the fact that school plays a significant role in childrens lives.) There are so many elements of the IB program that resonate with us. Ultimately we see this as edging out test scores, though those are important too. But as you noted, the IB diploma is quite demanding, and it is more-or-less the gold standard internationally, which we value.

At the moment we are living in Europe and our children do attend private schools. While all the English-language upper schools here offer the IB diploma, only one of them is IB all the way up. As much as we wanted the IB curriculum, that school is so mismanaged that we put our kids in other schools. Our youngest go to a wonderful, small, British curriculum primary school--chosen over both the IB and American school--and our oldest is at the American school. So we are not hell-bent on IB, we were just really hoping to find good IB schools; where the practice lives up to the theory.

Although our kids are in private now, we are public school people at heart.

Your explanation regarding the IB programs at San Diego HS and Mission Bay HS gives me an idea of how the IB "looks" there, and I suspect the gap between the ideal IB environment and what we'd find at either of these schools (and the tracks leading up to them, with the possible exception of Kate Sessions elementary) may be too great when compared to what La Jolla/ Del Mar/ Solana Beach have to offer. But I'll continue to do the due diligence.

You are right to point out that the IB may not be a great fit for our son. One of the benefits of his dad and I separating is that he doesn't necessarily have to be in the same schools as his sisters. I am actually flying to SD tomorrow--a long, long trip--in part to visit schools with his needs in mind. In fact the impetus for my post was the quandary I've been in trying to figure out which schools to check out.

Thank you for sharing your vote of confidence in the La Jolla/ Del Mar/Solana Beach schools. I've read good (and bad, but mostly good) things, but it helps put my mind at ease to hear directly from a seemingly very sound-minded person!

Sincere thanks!!!

Old 10-30-2015, 04:01 PM

8,390 posts, read 7,641,649 times
Quote:
Wow, Rosie, I can't thank you enough for that thoughtful response! Very helpful, and very much appreciated.

We like the IB for its philosophy overall. We'd like our children to have as broad a world-view as possible; to think beyond themselves as a matter of course. (We can emphasize this at home, but there's no getting around the fact that school plays a significant role in childrens lives.) There are so many elements of the IB program that resonate with us. Ultimately we see this as edging out test scores, though those are important too. But as you noted, the IB diploma is quite demanding, and it is more-or-less the gold standard internationally, which we value.

At the moment we are living in Europe and our children do attend private schools. While all the English-language upper schools here offer the IB diploma, only one of them is IB all the way up. As much as we wanted the IB curriculum, that school is so mismanaged that we put our kids in other schools. Our youngest go to a wonderful, small, British curriculum primary school--chosen over both the IB and American school--and our oldest is at the American school. So we are not hell-bent on IB, we were just really hoping to find good IB schools; where the practice lives up to the theory.

Sincere thanks!!!

Ah, I thought that might be the case. I'm a recently retired college counselor who's worked both as a school based counselor and as an independent. As an independent, I've worked with a lot of expat families who enrolled their kids in IB schools while abroad. I think IB makes a lot of sense in that situation, especially if the family will have multiple relocations, as the curriculum will be consistent from school to school and it also helps U.S. colleges get a sense of the school's academic strength when it comes time to apply to college here.

I like a lot of things about the IB curriculum, especially its emphasis on critical thinking skills. That is something that is so lacking in a lot of U.S. schools, as we have become so focused on testing and doing everything to ensure college admissions. The downside that I've seen with IB for some kids is that the full IB diploma is very structured in the last two years. That works for some students but not others. I'm sure you already know all of this.

I think you are on the right path with your school search here in San Diego. If you have any questions about high schools, let me know. I don't know all of the elementary and middle schools well enough to comment on them, but I have worked with kids from many of the high schools throughout the county, and also have talked to many of the school counselors at different high schools, so I have a decent handle on that end. So, feel free to send me a private message if you'd like to chat.

But, again, I think you are on the right path for your kids. They're lucky to have you, as you are asking all the right questions.

Old 01-11-2017, 07:52 AM

63 posts, read 73,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RosieSD View Post
Ah, I thought that might be the case. I'm a recently retired college counselor who's worked both as a school based counselor and as an independent. As an independent, I've worked with a lot of expat families who enrolled their kids in IB schools while abroad. I think IB makes a lot of sense in that situation, especially if the family will have multiple relocations, as the curriculum will be consistent from school to school and it also helps U.S. colleges get a sense of the school's academic strength when it comes time to apply to college here.

I like a lot of things about the IB curriculum, especially its emphasis on critical thinking skills. That is something that is so lacking in a lot of U.S. schools, as we have become so focused on testing and doing everything to ensure college admissions. The downside that I've seen with IB for some kids is that the full IB diploma is very structured in the last two years. That works for some students but not others. I'm sure you already know all of this.

I think you are on the right path with your school search here in San Diego. If you have any questions about high schools, let me know. I don't know all of the elementary and middle schools well enough to comment on them, but I have worked with kids from many of the high schools throughout the county, and also have talked to many of the school counselors at different high schools, so I have a decent handle on that end. So, feel free to send me a private message if you'd like to chat.

But, again, I think you are on the right path for your kids. They're lucky to have you, as you are asking all the right questions.
Hi Rosie, I know that this thread is a bit old, but I am looking to relocate to San Diego. I had thought about it before hoever the education system for gifted children didn't seem to be there. My son is now applying for an IB programme here in Canada, his choice. He is even excited about having to write the 4000 word extended essay! Did not get that from me.

Now that there is more of a choice other than GATE programmes, which high schools do you recommend to look at? I have checked out the greatschools site, however any review left by students I take with a grain of salt.

Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Brenda
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego