Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2015, 09:32 AM

6,893 posts, read 8,929,483 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartanacus View Post
In response those who said to come here and 'live like a local' to test it...I don't agree.

I've lived here almost 5 years and we still keep pretty busy hitting on all the 'touristy' things, as there are so many of them to do. Yes, I think I live like a local too, if that means working, carting my kids to school, and knowing when to go to Phil's BBQ and when not to, etc.
You're not a local yet, Spartacus, or you would know not to go to Phil's but to go to Coop's in Lemon Grove. One visit there, you won't return and then you can be declared local.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2015, 10:00 AM

15,128 posts, read 32,307,461 times
If you're still hitting on the "touristy" things in San Diego, you're not a local. Especially after 5 years.

Old 11-12-2015, 10:53 AM

332 posts, read 632,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bloom View Post
You're not a local yet, Spartacus, or you would know not to go to Phil's but to go to Coop's in Lemon Grove. One visit there, you won't return and then you can be declared local.
LOL...okay Bloom, fair enough. I just went to Phil's for the first time yesterday after the lunch rush. I know not to try going there during the dinner rush for sure! It was good. If I ever venture to LG I'll try to check out Coop's.

Old 11-12-2015, 10:59 AM

332 posts, read 632,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moved View Post
If you're still hitting on the "touristy" things in San Diego, you're not a local. Especially after 5 years.
I'm not saying I'm true 'local' status. On January 6th it will mark 5 years, so I for sure won't be a 'newbie' anymore.

But that's silly to live in SD with a young family and not hit the 'touristy' spots like the Zoo, Safari Park, Sea World, etc. every now and then.

And just a piece of advice I give all you true 'locals' or born and bread San Diegans...get the hell out of here in the Winter once in your life and go somewhere cold! You'll appreciate what you have more and see how the other side lives.

I'm from Michigan, and would not advise a trip there in the Winter, but perhaps Chicago? I'd say NYC or the East Coast, but I haven't been there yet.

Old 11-12-2015, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moved View Post
huh

Old 11-12-2015, 11:11 AM

Quote:
I'm not saying I'm true 'local' status. On January 6th it will mark 5 years, so I for sure won't be a 'newbie' anymore.

But that's silly to live in SD with a young family and not hit the 'touristy' spots like the Zoo, Safari Park, Sea World, etc. every now and then.

skip seaworld but go to lego land

Old 11-12-2015, 11:11 AM

1,736 posts, read 2,571,831 times
Quote:

And just a piece of advice I give all you true 'locals' or born and bread San Diegans...get the hell out of here in the Winter once in your life and go somewhere cold! You'll appreciate what you have more and see how the other side lives.

I'm from Michigan, and would not advise a trip there in the Winter, but perhaps Chicago? I'd say NYC or the East Coast, but I haven't been there yet.

You all talk about "Local" like it is some elite private club.

Old 11-12-2015, 11:13 AM

9,525 posts, read 30,465,926 times
We do a couple of touristy things, namely the zoo & WAP. Never old town or sea world though. To be honest, many of the 'touristy' things in San Diego are usually very, very crowded, making them unsuitable for families with small children. We stopped doing Christmas Nights in Balboa Park for this reason. We go to Santee Lakes instead of Liberty Station, etc.

Old 11-12-2015, 11:49 AM

8,390 posts, read 7,637,875 times
Quote:
In response those who said to come here and 'live like a local' to test it...I don't agree.

I've lived here almost 5 years and we still keep pretty busy hitting on all the 'touristy' things, as there are so many of them to do. Yes, I think I live like a local too, if that means working, carting my kids to school, and knowing when to go to Phil's BBQ and when not to, etc.

But besides the weather IMO the main draw to SD is all the touristy things to do. Just because you were born here shouldn't mean you never do any 'touristy' things. We hit a SD or LA area theme park at least once every two years. We get Zoo memberships every 3rd year. We still enjoy Old Town, Mission Beach/Belmont Park/Wavehouse, etc.

Hell...I know San Diego born people who have never been to the beach, never left California, etc. My family and I have done more than them in 5 years as they have in their entire lives.

Like anywhere, what you make out of it is what you get out of it.

Fair enough, Spartacus. I spend a fair share of my time in places like Balboa Park and the Laguna mountains, so you're right: enjoying those places are part of living here.

But, I also spend time working, shopping, sitting in traffic, being with family and friends, and dealing with general life in a busy, spread out metropolitan. After living here for over 30 years, what makes San Diego home to me, has less to do with tourist sites than it does living here day to day and doing real world stuff.

So often we get messages from folks who have visited San Diego for a week and spent ALL of their time enjoying tourist stuff, without ever venturing into the areas where *most* people actually live and work.

They go home in the "honeymoon phase" thinking San Diego is paradise and moving here will solve all of their problems. That's how we get folks who are *shocked* that you can't buy a 5 bedroom house on the beach for $300,000 or who move here without a job thinking it will be a breeze to line up a job in paradise.

If you're going to be moving here (or anywhere, actually), you need to have an idea of what your REAL experience living here will be like. No place is perfect, even San Diego. Thus, if you're serious about moving here, do a visit where you spend *most* of your time exploring the places where real life happens, so you can get more than the tourist's view.

Then, you won't be making a life changing decision based on thinking you'll be spending all of your time at the Zoo. : )

Last edited by RosieSD; 11-12-2015 at 12:03 PM..

Old 11-12-2015, 11:58 AM

3,545 posts, read 6,029,485 times
Here goes:

I make ~60k a year at a govm't job. I rent a small (500sf), older cottage apartment on a quiet street in the middle of the city (North Park) which I adore. I hike (year-round), bike (year-round), and swim (when the ocean is 70+) constantly, go out to eat at nice, non-chain restaurants once or twice a week, see bands maybe twice a month, see plays etc. maybe once a month, and travel at least once a month (half the time that's just camping, another quarter of that is road trips ~6-7 hours away, and the rest traveling to other cities across the country to visit friends/relatives).

I also have a zoo pass, and go probably once a month. I do other touristy stuff with people when they're visiting but not terribly often otherwise.

I live by myself, and I don't have any kids.

I love living here, and I don't feel pressed for $$ even though I make well below what some folks here insist you need to be happy here. I cook for myself most nights, I don't need a lot of space for just me and my cat when I spend 90% of my waking time outside, and I don't pay for cable/amenities (except wifi).

Your Mileage May Vary, obviously
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego