Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2015, 10:11 PM

8,384 posts, read 7,603,684 times

Advertisements

OK, does this make any sense at all?

Haggen has received bankruptcy court approval for the sale of supermarkets in San Diego and elsewhere in Southern California, many of them to the Albertsons grocery and warehouse-style Smart & Final chains, it was announced Wednesday.

Albertsons will take over former Haggen stores in ... El Cajon, La Mesa, Rancho Bernardo and San Diego's Highland Village Place.

Why the heck did the FTC force Albertsons to sell those frickin stores after the Vons buyout...only to let Albertsons buy them again? Sheesh. Should have just left well enough alone. What a mess.

Full article:
The new names of former Haggen stores in San Diego | San Diego 6 News, The CW (XETV)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2015, 01:11 AM

4,750 posts, read 3,557,400 times
If that happens in Rancho San Diego, their will be an Albertsons within one mile of another Albertsons.

Just a weird situation.

Old 11-26-2015, 11:02 AM

1,807 posts, read 3,980,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TristramShandy View Post
If that happens in Rancho San Diego, their will be an Albertsons within one mile of another Albertsons.

Just a weird situation.
Same thing for La Mesa. Currently there's only a Trader Joe's and Albertsons where I live (Fresh and Easy is going out of business). This sale would mean that there will be 2 Albertsons within a mile of each other.

Old 11-26-2015, 11:16 AM

50,159 posts, read 46,820,657 times
Quote:

Just a weird situation.
Not as weird as having two Vons about 100 yards apart like it used to be in PB

Old 11-26-2015, 08:15 PM

601 posts, read 1,448,159 times
The Mira Mesa Albertsons/Haggens is turning into a Smart & Final with Supermarket.

Old 11-26-2015, 08:27 PM

12,338 posts, read 8,072,147 times
Well its better than the Los Angeles Palms/Mar Vista Albertsons being bought and converted into a Haggens in their Dec 2014 expansion just to close a few months later.

Old 11-26-2015, 09:30 PM

8,384 posts, read 7,603,684 times
Quote:

Just a weird situation.
I also can't imagine they'd have the large Albertsons over by Target and another in the original store. On the other hand, there were two Vons about the same distance from each other (one in the Rancho center at the top of Avocado and one down in El Cajon at the bottom) so maybe there is room for two.

And, we're assuming that "Albertsons" buying the stores means the stores will be named Albertsons. Perhaps Albertsons will turn them into "Vons" stores, since they now own Vons? Or maybe there will be a third and new store brand name? Who knows.

As you say, it is just a weird situation.

Old 11-26-2015, 09:34 PM

121 posts, read 101,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djxpress View Post
Same thing for La Mesa. Currently there's only a Trader Joe's and Albertsons where I live (Fresh and Easy is going out of business). This sale would mean that there will be 2 Albertsons within a mile of each other.
Hi neighbor .

Yep we are now just down to Trader Joe's and Albertson's as the local markets. I LOVED Fresh and Easy. Part of the reason I moved back to the part of La Mesa I lived in was because having so close was great! I loved it more than Trader Joe's. Not sure why it didn't catch on in America.

Have you heard what the Haggens on Lake Murray and Baltimore may become? I was hoping it would become a Whole Foods or the discount Whole Foods store I've heard WF wants to do, or a Spouts (but there is one in DTLM). Smart and Final would be nice.

Old 11-27-2015, 02:04 AM

15,117 posts, read 32,233,383 times
The Haggen on Lake Murray and Baltimore looks like it's going to an Albertson's. Whole Foods and Sprouts didn't bid on any of the stores.

Old 11-27-2015, 07:41 AM

121 posts, read 101,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moved View Post
The Haggen on Lake Murray and Baltimore looks like it's going to an Albertson's. Whole Foods and Sprouts didn't bid on any of the stores.
Another Albertson's LMAO!! The one further down on Lake Murray and (forgot the street) is huge and a great store! I was hoping for something different. I wonder if the prices would be the same. Do you remember when the Von's was there? No joke I think when Von's was there, the prices were higher than at a normal, larger Von's. Even though I'm not a regular at Whole Foods, it would have been nice as the closest one is in Hillcrest.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego