Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2016, 09:51 AM

50,242 posts, read 46,997,454 times

Advertisements

And......away they gooooooo....

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/14...les-relocation

https://www.google.com/search?q=char...m=122&ie=UTF-8

and the spiel

http://www.chargers.com/video/2016/0...led-relocation

Last edited by 1AngryTaxPayer; 01-06-2016 at 10:01 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2016, 12:13 PM

4,537 posts, read 12,397,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdlife619 View Post
Take away the military and SD would be in crisis mode economically. So to have a pro sports team brings an identity to your city.

I don't care what anybody says, SD is a FOOTBALL TOWN...
(
You almost said it, but didn't, so I will, "We are a Navy town." I'm not in, nor have I ever been in the Navy, but I take great pride in our being a NAVY TOWN that is friendly and welcoming to our armed forces (unlike San Francisco for example). Selfishly, the Navy sustains our economy. Altruistically, the Navy protects our country. I'll wear "the Navy Town" identity badge with pride - so says me, the former Army veteran.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hitman619 View Post
Yep!
What i predicting is going to happen is, once the chargers leave SDSU will build there own, half a Billion dollar Stadium on Campus(just like most Colleges) and Qalcomm will Rot away with the weekly USED CAR TENT SALE.
Concerts, International Soccer Matches, Monster truck show will all go to the new SDSU Stadium.
Sell off the Qualcomm site and put the land back on the tax rolls. The money could be spent improving the infrastructure in Mission Valley - building fire stations, fixing the convoluted road network, completing the San Diego River park, and connecting that park to the mesas, north and south. Plus we just saved ourselves $200 million dollars that we can add to our infrastructure budget citywide for the next 30 years. We can slow the decline.

SDSU's football team needs a smaller stadium anyway, one that's better suited to college sized crowds.

Finally, As for Faulconer, he fought to keep the Chargers hard enough to show he cared, but not so hard that we actually got stuck with a white elephant stadium.

Old 01-06-2016, 02:07 PM

9,820 posts, read 11,536,738 times
[quote=kettlepot;42531519]

Quote:
Originally Posted by kettlepot View Post
Sell off the Qualcomm site and put the land back on the tax rolls. The money could be spent improving the infrastructure in Mission Valley - building fire stations, fixing the convoluted road network, completing the San Diego River park, and connecting that park to the mesas, north and south. Plus we just saved ourselves $200 million dollars that we can add to our infrastructure budget citywide for the next 30 years. We can slow the decline.
As a State employee i can honestly say,"I do not trust our elected officials to do the right thing with the money"
Middle Management is too inept and upper management is all about greasing the palms that help them get elected BOTH PARTIES!
I always point to the Sport Arena as an Example of San Diego Politics. That place is a dump and in need of major renovation for 30 years now.
Quote:
SDSU's football team needs a smaller stadium anyway, one that's better suited to college sized crowds.
Agree
I've been saying this for a while, look how cox arena turned out

Quote:
Finally, As for Faulconer, he fought to keep the Chargers hard enough to show he cared, but not so hard that we actually got stuck with a white elephant stadium.
I Partially disagree^^^
I think Faulconer knew that we were a, "Lame Duck City" and the chargers planed on moving all along.
As to why he didn't give the chargers 2 proposals Downtown or Mission valley we will never know. But the speculation was and always will be that, the Hoteliers run city government in San Diego and did not want another ballpark downtown.

Old 01-06-2016, 02:55 PM

6,893 posts, read 8,929,483 times
Quote:

But the speculation was and always will be that, the Hoteliers run city government in San Diego and did not want another ballpark downtown.
seems counter-intuitive

Old 01-06-2016, 04:05 PM

15,128 posts, read 32,307,461 times
I always point to the Sport Arena as an Example of San Diego Politics. That place is a dump and in need of major renovation for 30 years now.

That's for sure.

Old 01-06-2016, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bloom View Post
seems counter-intuitive
I always refer people to this article i read a couple of years ago. Long read but pretty good explanation of things, some of the comments are funny.
Who Runs San Diego: The Use and Abuse of the Transient Occupancy Tax

Quote:
Originally Posted by moved View Post

That's for sure.
I can remember my dad taking me to clippers game and stating,"This Place is a dump Compared to MSG in NYC"

Old 01-06-2016, 04:41 PM

Quote:
I always refer people to this article i read a couple of years ago. Long read but pretty good explanation of things, some of the comments are funny.
Who Runs San Diego: The Use and Abuse of the Transient Occupancy Tax

I can remember my dad taking me to clippers game and stating,"This Place is a dump Compared to MSG in NYC"
Not going to read link if you can bullet explain why a second dt stadium would not fill up more hotel rooms, appreciated.

I can remember my dad taking me to knicks games in MSG and sharing stories of the glorious teams of the early/mid 70s and smelling cannabis in our typical nose-bleed seats (late 70s, 80s).

Old 01-06-2016, 06:16 PM

50,242 posts, read 46,997,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bloom View Post
Not going to read link if you can bullet explain why a second dt stadium would not fill up more hotel rooms, appreciated.

I can remember my dad taking me to knicks games in MSG and sharing stories of the glorious teams of the early/mid 70s and smelling cannabis in our typical nose-bleed seats (late 70s, 80s).
Wow, you are really getting lazy here

Old 01-06-2016, 06:39 PM

Looks the chargers are going to be around for at lease another year.
NFL is gearing up to take on Stan kroenke.

Old 01-06-2016, 07:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
Wow, you are really getting lazy here
Lazy, that's me, but curious to know why a second dt stadium would not fill up more hotel rooms ?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego