Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2015, 04:09 PM

13 posts, read 12,279 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone, trying to be detailed here...if I get a few replies I'll be happy!

I am moving to the SD area to work in El Cajon starting at a Grossmont College location in January. It's just me (have a dog, but I have a place for her to stay back home until I find a permanent place, and she can stay there as long as need be).

I have done forum searches, read the sticky about "getting real" as well as other similar threads, so no wool on my eyes, just hoping for some insight. It sure seems I might not want to live too near EC proper. So, looking for areas or even neighborhoods for renters. Many similar questions/threads contain many limits I don't have...no kids, don't care about schools, don't need 2+ bedrooms, not looking to buy, etc. and am okay with some BS (it's part of life and everyone should be!). I'm 35 and don't care about bustling nightlife, but renting from an old couple that goes to bed at 7 not ideal either, ha. I just want to be informed by actual folks.

I've seen recommendations for La Mesa, Rancho SD, Poway. I'm not a Dean so not like I'll have a TON of income, but looking to balance affordability with being in a decent place somewhat nearby. Seems like reverse commute too, I don't mind 30 mins or so but if possible to stay around that or under, would be great. No situation will be "perfect" I know that, but any help/replies would be greatly appreciated. Temp places are fine too, I'm admittedly not familiar with the area at all.

Also:
FWIW, I have lived as a renter - with a dog - during the past 10 years in both Washington, D.C. and the Monterey peninsula on a similar salary...not exactly cheap places either so I don't need a lecture...I did just fine by living within my means / spending a relatively large percentage of my income on rent, etc. I'm fine with doing that again. It was the research and locals I communicated with in advance that made that happen.

Thanks for any replies!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2015, 04:19 PM

18,172 posts, read 16,395,091 times
Poway is the furthest and the freeway traffic would put you closer to the 1/2 hour limit. Either of the others would work and I believe more rental options in the other two as well..

Old 12-18-2015, 04:35 PM

15,129 posts, read 32,322,556 times
What's your rental budget?

Old 12-18-2015, 05:10 PM

Thx for your replies!

Trying for housing budget to be around or preferably under $1200 ideally, if it's possible, for a one-bed, or quite a bit less for studio or if I'd share a place 2+ with other(s), which I'm also fine with for a while. If not possible I can do more, but trying for lower especially at first then can move up once I am settled, know some area(s) I really like and would want to be long-term....don't need fancy or yuppie or anything by any means at first, but trying to steer clear of shady, if that makes sense.

Sure doesn't seem to be much temp/subleases out there for some reason, considering move in Jan thought that may be an option with some choices, hit or miss I guess??

Old 12-18-2015, 05:21 PM

I know that probably sounds like bottom-of-barrel for my own place, but wanted to start there and go up accordingly as needed by reality...just trying to get a grasp, and like I said living with / renting a room or basement or something from others is fine. Long term once I know the area, etc. and my dog comes out i know the budget will need to be significantly higher, and I can manage fine when that happens.

Old 12-18-2015, 05:27 PM

15,129 posts, read 32,322,556 times
There are lots of places in El Cajon and La Mesa that are within your budget. Check out Craigslist and post the addresses here for comments on the areas. I'm not familiar with those areas, but other posters should be.

Old 12-18-2015, 05:37 PM

Well that's great to hear! Will do.

Any skinny on Lemon Grove? And/or even specific places a bit further West, say around/past SDSU? Everything around there gonna be pretty decent?

Old 12-18-2015, 05:44 PM

601 posts, read 1,451,595 times
Tierrasanta & Santee? Take the 52 fwy to the 125 fwy, exit to Grossmont College? Not too bad.

Old 12-18-2015, 07:44 PM

601 posts, read 1,451,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdaddy5 View Post
Tierrasanta & Santee? Take the 52 fwy to the 125 fwy, exit to Grossmont College? Not too bad.
As another bonus, the 52 will take you to the 15 (which connects you to Mission Valley, the 8, etc.) and all the way to the 5 fwy near the coast. You're central with everything, basically and your commute isn't very long.

Old 12-18-2015, 07:58 PM

Thank you for your help! As long as the commute isn't terrible, I'm okay with it; seems like it would be useful to live somewhat near 8 / 52
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego