Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2015, 09:41 AM

183 posts, read 207,118 times

Advertisements

I keep reading that Drone sales are increasing and a popular gift this year. I also understand that regulations are TBD. I have nothing to hide and don't care about dr New in public places, but do value my privacy at home. Having said that, if something me sees a drone over private land or hovering around your house, what can one do? In a rural situation, a shotgun would be a good deferent, but that is a no go in suburbia.
I don't see calling the police doing much good other than an incident report. I heard that someone developed a multi-short string launcher to tangle up the propellors.
Any other options? Just curious if there is a €$£¥ market for this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2015, 10:39 AM

148 posts, read 279,618 times
Is It OK to Shoot Down Your Neighbor's Drone?

“This applies even if a drone is hovering over your backyard,” says Sachs. “According to the FAA, it controls all airspace from the blades of the grass up. However, even if you did own X feet above your property, you would not be permitted to shoot a drone that flies within that space because shooting any aircraft is a federal crime.”

Old 12-21-2015, 10:47 AM

6,420 posts, read 11,594,830 times
Since the FAA wants to regulate them as aircraft due to their sharing airspace with other aircraft, they'll also be subject to the same protections as any aircraft. So, no, I don't foresee any market for any anti-drone device.

Old 12-21-2015, 10:53 AM

1,716 posts, read 2,035,241 times
Just this weekend I saw a video about this. I THINK it was a police department in Japan, but am not sure. Anyway, what they had was another drone that had the ability to deploy a large net. So it would quickly fly in above the problem drone, deploy its net, and the suspect drone falls to the ground. I think we will see varying versions of this developed. Not the ideal situation for the scenario the OP describes, but still fun.

Old 12-21-2015, 11:27 AM

8,168 posts, read 3,126,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yakscsd View Post
Just this weekend I saw a video about this. I THINK it was a police department in Japan, but am not sure. Anyway, what they had was another drone that had the ability to deploy a large net. So it would quickly fly in above the problem drone, deploy its net, and the suspect drone falls to the ground. I think we will see varying versions of this developed. Not the ideal situation for the scenario the OP describes, but still fun.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rzxgS9LMWkE

I would like to see authorities deploy a drone with a net on it and have them intercept drones flying where they are not supposed to be flying. Very simple to do with FPV and GPS capabilities. I know what a lipo battery is capable of doing when damaged. Just imagine if the drone crashed on top of someone's house or in a place where they couldn't get to the lipo's in time to put them out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h-s9RbKNUyE

Last edited by FC76-81; 12-21-2015 at 11:36 AM..

Old 12-21-2015, 11:34 AM

18,172 posts, read 16,395,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by photo4fun View Post
Is It OK to Shoot Down Your Neighbor's Drone?

“This applies even if a drone is hovering over your backyard,” says Sachs. “According to the FAA, it controls all airspace from the blades of the grass up. However, even if you did own X feet above your property, you would not be permitted to shoot a drone that flies within that space because shooting any aircraft is a federal crime.”
Remember neither your property nor your privacy really belongs to you. .

Old 12-21-2015, 01:24 PM

148 posts, read 279,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by expatCA View Post
Remember neither your property nor your privacy really belongs to you. .
don't shoot the messenger

Old 12-21-2015, 01:24 PM

9,526 posts, read 30,475,285 times
The drones are controlled by radio, so theoretically you could have some high power directional radio transmitter which could defeat the control system. But shooting it down would be much more effective. All options are illegal unfortunately.

Old 12-27-2015, 11:31 AM

1 posts, read 786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pharmboyinSD View Post
I keep reading that Drone sales are increasing and a popular gift this year. I also understand that regulations are TBD. I have nothing to hide and don't care about dr New in public places, but do value my privacy at home. Having said that, if something me sees a drone over private land or hovering around your house, what can one do? In a rural situation, a shotgun would be a good deferent, but that is a no go in suburbia.
I don't see calling the police doing much good other than an incident report. I heard that someone developed a multi-short string launcher to tangle up the propellors.
Any other options? Just curious if there is a €$£¥ market for this.
its mainly kids ,hobbyist,nothing to worry about.If someone repeatedly flies over your house on your property,call the police,don't be destroying a 100 or a 10,000 dollar drone,especially if it someone has permission to do a real estate video's or other commercial project on their property.You might be left holding the bill,I think the media has people believing theirs a problem when its not a problem.I've never seen one flying by anyone's house,I have seen kids flying them but not by or over other houses.So I don't see it as a problem,the noise is more of a problem then the idea someone could photograph you,they can take my picture all day long,as long as its quiet.good luck

Old 12-27-2015, 08:47 PM

1,271 posts, read 2,593,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassberto View Post
The drones are controlled by radio, so theoretically you could have some high power directional radio transmitter which could defeat the control system. But shooting it down would be much more effective. All options are illegal unfortunately.
Jammers are possible for 2.4 GHz, but as you said they are illegal per the FCC, however there are several anti-drone systems in the start-up world.

The laws work in favor of the drone pilot if you are caught on their camera, so a Ghillie suit and a Gamo Viper Express Air Shotgun for stealth/silent operation will do the trick often or better yet, buy a R/C airplane something big, .61 powered high wing trainer and ram it. Then claim it was an accident, you were just enjoying a day of the R/C hobby.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego