Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2016, 10:56 PM

9,525 posts, read 30,475,285 times

Advertisements

I guess I don't really know what you're talking about. For OC, their "downtown" is Irvine Spectrum and disneyland. If you go to some little town in the middle of nowhere they have a street with a cafe and that's "downtown" for them. "downtown" is meaningless. I'm sure if you live in Orange, CA you would go out to nice dinners in your historic little neighborhood and only would go to the spectrum or disney to see shows or music festivals.

In this case, the historic core of SD isn't really the vital, meaningful part of the city, it's a place you go to have dinner and maybe see a show, like a mall or entertainment district. Except the buildings are older. 100 years ago, it was the vital, meaningful part of the city, the seat of power and influence, commerce, but that's ancient history... it's all in the sprawl. I'm sure to the folks who live immediately around downtownt they will think it's important but the sad truth is you have millions in the county who never go there and will probably spend a grand total of 3 days there in their 2 year tenure in SD.

Last edited by NYSD1995; 01-06-2016 at 11:06 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2016, 10:58 PM

18,982 posts, read 32,651,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassberto View Post
I don't really know what you're talking about. For OC, their "downtown" is Irvine Spectrum and disneyland. "Downtown" is meaningless. If you go to some little town in the middle of nowhere they have a street with a cafe and that's downtown for them.
And according to this over simplified reasoning Downtown SF, Downtown SD, and the Irvine Spectrum/Disneyland are all functional "downtowns" for their respective regions and there really is no meaningful difference between any of them. That is what it seems like you're saying. Yeah I guess if you ignore all the details and differences it's all the same.

Old 01-06-2016, 11:03 PM

7,409 posts, read 6,550,878 times
"You think most people in the Bay Area go to downtown SF?"

...well you asked....SF is a global, world class city....a major cultural, commercial, and financial hub. San Diego, no matter how you define it geographically, is not.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Global_city

Old 01-06-2016, 11:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elchevere View Post
"You think most people in the Bay Area go to downtown SF?"

...well you asked....SF is a global, world class city....a major cultural, commercial, and financial hub. San Diego, no matter how you define it geographically, is not.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Global_city
What does that have to do with most people in the Bay Area going or not going to Downtown SF? My question is not related to SF's status as a global city at all and I'm confused on what connection you're trying to draw here.

Old 01-06-2016, 11:06 PM

30,896 posts, read 36,954,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheryllouise View Post
18montclair - goodness, we have got a bee in our bonnet, haven't we. It's funny because you really do sound like you might be losing sleep. Do you know what I do when I read a post that irks me? I ignore it and move on with my life. But since you seem to have taken umbrage with me and my opinions, and, based on your high reputation here you're clearly not a nasty troll, so let me assume your personal attack is due to a bad day and address your points again.
I can vouch that 18montclair is not a troll. You'll have to take my word for it that regular CD posters see a lot of exaggerations and hyperbole and stuff that's just downright wrong that people pass off as facts. After a while, it wears on you.

While I agree with you that he came on too strong, I think you're in the minority in equating Puget Sound with the Ocean.

Old 01-06-2016, 11:09 PM

7,409 posts, read 6,550,878 times
Yes, people from Marin, East Bay, Napa, Sonoma, Contra Costa, South Bay/Peninsula , etc etc go to downtown SF...can I tell you how many or how often?--that would be hard to do but people from the Bay Area, other than those who live in downtown SF do go there...I'm trying to understand your comment better.

Old 01-06-2016, 11:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elchevere View Post
Yes, people from Marin, East Bay, Napa, Sonoma, South Bay/Peninsula , etc etc go to downtown SF...can I tell you how many or how often?--that would be hard to do but people from the Bay Area, other than those who live in downtown SF do go there...I'm trying to understand your comment better.
Unless they work there they don't go very often overall was my point, similar to Downtown SD. You can shop, dine, and go out all over the Bay Area just like you can do that in SD.

Old 01-06-2016, 11:14 PM

9,525 posts, read 30,475,285 times
SF is a global world city with major financial and commercial institutions, thousands of high paying jobs, home of global embassies and government institutions, a major port, rail and air infrastructure, a vibrant and world-renowned cultural, social scene and some of the most desired real estate in the world. The center of all that is San Francisco. San Diego's urban core is none of these things.

Let me ask it in a different way - if you sunk SF into the sea, what is the identity of the bay area? Tech companies and hippies? No golden gate? No trolley cars? no painted ladies?????

If Downtown SD got flooded with El Nino, the effect on SD's identity would be what exectly? We'd all say "duuude that sucked!!"

Old 01-06-2016, 11:18 PM

30,896 posts, read 36,954,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedro2000 View Post
The Coastal areas are filled with people who always turn down new developments, offices, buildings, etc.
The Bay Area is exactly the same in that respect. Rich liberals and rich conservatives are the same in that respect. They think development is great (ok maybe only conservatives think that....the liberal equivalent is to wring hands about high housing costs but deny the law of supply & demand), but they don't want it in their back yard.

Old 01-06-2016, 11:18 PM

3,814 posts, read 4,010,597 times
OC is really a mixed bag.

North OC is more diverse and is really kind of part of LA, IMO. I mean, is there really that much difference between Buena Park and Cypress or La Mirada and Cerritos? You can take the train from Fullerton to DTLA in less than one hour. Anaheim is kind of like an 'edge city' of sorts.

Central and south OC in particular kind of have their own thing going on. It's weird, it's a part of the sprawl but kind of off doing it's own thing. Similar to the way Campbell, San Jose, Milpitas and Los Gatos have little to do with SF. But all still part of the same blob none the less.

But I don't really think people go "Gee SD is it's own metro we should chose them over OC". The area from Little Italy to Barrio Logan has over 25,000 people? That's cool but not awe inspiring.

Last edited by WizardOfRadical; 01-06-2016 at 11:27 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego