Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-06-2008, 06:44 AM

40 posts, read 279,372 times

Advertisements

I am from the northeast and are planning on moving to San Diego within the next 6-8 months. On more than one occassion I've heard the term "West Coast Mentality" on this forum. Can anyone tell me what is meant by this term. I've also heard the term "Califonia work ethic" more than once, and lastly what is meant by "laid back". Does everything move in slow motion in Southern California? Do the people like to work hard? Where I come from (about 20 miles north of NYC) everyone including myself is always in a rush, everything must be done NOW,NOW,NOW, and it seems that life is about 75% work and about 25% play,without enough family time. I would like the reverse. When I move to SD will life be change for better,worse or what?

Thank you... This forum and all the people on it are great!!!!!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2008, 08:21 AM

9,525 posts, read 30,465,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbjr View Post
On more than one occassion I've heard the term "West Coast Mentality" on this forum. Can anyone tell me what is meant by this term.
Work to Live, not Live to Work, or alternatively, Live to Surf

Quote:
I've also heard the term "Califonia work ethic" more than once, and lastly what is meant by "laid back". Does everything move in slow motion in Southern California? Do the people like to work hard?
California work ethic = show up late, take a long lunch, leave early.
Laid Back = semi-stoned

Quote:
Where I come from (about 20 miles north of NYC) everyone including myself is always in a rush, everything must be done NOW,NOW,NOW, and it seems that life is about 75% work and about 25% play,without enough family time. I would like the reverse. When I move to SD will life be change for better,worse or what?
Depends. Wherever you have people chasing the almighty dollar, you have people in a rush. Compared to the NYC metro, it's not nearly as intense. San Diegans are not particularly career-minded, which will make it easier for you to find a job, but harder to find good employees.

Old 02-06-2008, 08:58 AM

786 posts, read 3,923,547 times
When my husband interviewed here, he was told how family friendly the company was and how they were very flexible to allow parents to coach their kids sports teams, etc. It turned out to be a myth though and he has had to work long hours and is constantly interrupted on the weekend with e-mails from other employees who don't know when to stop working. Part of it is due to not being able to find enough qualified employees who are willing to move to San Diego with the high cost of living here.

Old 02-06-2008, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrissCT View Post
When my husband interviewed here, he was told how family friendly the company was and how they were very flexible to allow parents to coach their kids sports teams, etc. It turned out to be a myth though and he has had to work long hours and is constantly interrupted on the weekend with e-mails from other employees who don't know when to stop working. Part of it is due to not being able to find enough qualified employees who are willing to move to San Diego with the high cost of living here.
Was it a mom-n-pop shop or a big corp?

Old 02-06-2008, 10:40 AM

786 posts, read 3,923,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassberto View Post
Was it a mom-n-pop shop or a big corp?
It was a big corp.

Old 02-08-2008, 08:01 PM

11 posts, read 52,662 times
[quote=Sassberto;2740715

California work ethic = show up late, take a long lunch, leave early.
Laid Back = semi-stoned

Depends. Wherever you have people chasing the almighty dollar, you have people in a rush. Compared to the NYC metro, it's not nearly as intense. San Diegans are not particularly career-minded, which will make it easier for you to find a job, but harder to find good employees.[/quote]

i could not disagree more with this. i dont quite know how to explain "laid-back" to someone who doesnt understand, but it definitely does not mean "semi-stoned". and to say san diegans are not "career-minded" is total bs. i guess it depends on what crowd you are surrounding yourself with.
i grew up in sd and have two hard-working professional parents, who were able to move up on the san diego neighborhood ladder due to their hard work. but at the same time we went to the beach on weekends, took trips to the desert, and did other outdoor activities. i guess that is what "laid-back" is to me... learning to let go of the stresses of life and enjoy yourself as much as possible. there are alot of young professionals in sd also, who are very driven. i am currently in vet school, and cant wait to go back to sd, and have all of my hard work in school pay off. and most of my friends from high school also have graduate degrees. they are now professionals during the week, and on weekends to go the beach for over the line (a favorite local pastime). im not exactly sure what the "CA work ethic" is. i think that has more to do with upbringing rather than location. you may have to work hard to afford life in san diego, but i dont know of anywhere else where there are so many ways to enjoy in your free time.

Old 02-09-2008, 12:52 AM

Location: where you sip the tea of the breasts of the spinsters of Utica
8,297 posts, read 14,157,672 times
I'd say that "laid back" is simply hippy slang for "relaxed".

I really haven't noticed all that much difference in the people I've known in various cities. Some cities have more and meaner thugs than other cities .... I think upper class people in the NYC area tend to do more artsy/cultural things than is the case in San Diego, where even the rich people tend to do fun things informally instead of going to operas, theater, or museums.

Old 02-09-2008, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sophiedvm View Post
there are alot of young professionals in sd also, who are very driven.
There are also a lot of people (many not so young) scratching out a living in a beach shack. You don't find that on the east coast where I grew up.

Old 02-11-2008, 03:37 PM

812 posts, read 4,081,936 times
I'd have to say that the Bay Area, and San Francisco especially, is an exception to the "California Work Ethic."

It's also a matter of new money versus old, with the west coast being the former. Spending money on botox and tummy tucks so you look "good" in Abercrombie and Juicy Couture at 40 vs a nice trip to Brooks Bros. When buying your Bentley, are you planning on showing off with this one because it looks rich:

Or this, because the interior's so nice:
http://www.e-sportscarhire.co.uk/images/car/bentley-arnage-t.jpg (broken link)

I see the first one every time I'm in La Jolla, but I have yet to see the second anywhere in Southern California.

Old 02-11-2008, 04:33 PM

69 posts, read 245,122 times
LOL That's SO true (about the looking good thing). Californian's like to put on a show, but you should realize that it is mostly DEBT they are flashing around.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego