Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2016, 08:02 PM

1,175 posts, read 1,912,953 times

Advertisements

Illumina is a pretty successful company and the HQ is in San Diego.
However they just started a new incubator/new company called Grail, but opened it up in San Fran, not San Diego. A new company in SD doing dna and blood tests would be great, but it's not happening. I wonder why they picked SF over SD, I mean they are here and the biotech space is sort of big here.

Illumina Jumps into Cancer Screening with $100 Million Spin-off Grail | MIT Technology Review
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2016, 09:28 AM

9,526 posts, read 30,477,668 times
Biotech is as big in SF, probably bigger, but really because the funding is there, that's where the entrepreneurs are.

Old 01-18-2016, 12:07 AM

1,175 posts, read 1,912,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassberto View Post
Biotech is as big in SF, probably bigger, but really because the funding is there, that's where the entrepreneurs are.
Oh I agree with the funding aspect. I know plenty of startups where any sort of traction meant some VC or Angel tried to convince them to move up to the Bay Area. Sometimes they refuse to even invest if they didn't move. Service-Now wound up moving their HQs up to Silicon Valley, even though they did at least keep a office in UTC. Websense got bought and left for Texas and told their employees to relocate or find another job.

It just stinks that the few companies that do succeed here, seem to move or wind up expanding elsewhere. $100 Million in capital is huge for any startup. That creates jobs, other opportunities, etc. It's the residual effect I always talk about where a Google spawns thousands of startups and so on. Illumnia created their own spawned startup, but opened them up in the Bay Area. It just shows you the mindset of successful businesses in SD.

Old 01-19-2016, 01:11 PM

12,823 posts, read 24,402,599 times
The Bay Area is great for VCs, acceptable for senior management, and terrible for all other employees.

Old 01-20-2016, 03:24 AM

401 posts, read 444,610 times
Interesting how the Bay Area and San Diego are becoming compared more and more often for various reasons (affordability, desirability, VC, industry, etc...)

You'd be surprised how many San Diegans have never even visited San Francisco. In their own state. Or even left the city.

Old 01-20-2016, 06:50 AM

9,526 posts, read 30,477,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Flying Dutchman View Post
You'd be surprised how many San Diegans have never even visited San Francisco. In their own state. Or even left the city.
Or have even gone beyond a few miles of where they live!

Old 01-20-2016, 11:40 AM

6,109 posts, read 10,897,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Flying Dutchman View Post
Interesting how the Bay Area and San Diego are becoming compared more and more often for various reasons (affordability, desirability, VC, industry, etc...)

Haha. I can't count the number of Southern Californians and San Diegans in particular who have never set foot in places like San Francisco, Yosemite, Lake Tahoe or the Redwoods of coastal California! Often as not these are people who are otherwise well traveled, but just as often they are surprisingly insular.

I can remember an architecture class at Mesa College years ago where our design project was a site in Balboa Park and several of the students uttered "Now, Balboa Park, I've heard of that but where is it exactly?"

Of the Illumina investment I have a good friend who is very high up as a sales manager for the company- it would be interesting to garner his take on the investment up north and whether that signals anything for the long term future of the company down here. I think other posters have it pretty well figured out though- lots of Biotech in the Bay Area, copious investment dollars available and certainly plenty of educated workers in the field. If you don't have a Bay Area presence in this state it behooves you to get up there and grab one while/if you can.

A loss though for our city's beleaguered Fortune 500 presence (or is it the Fortune 1000?) of our own for a city of this size and educated populous.

Old 01-21-2016, 10:03 AM

4,630 posts, read 10,274,962 times
Yes this is disappointing but not surprising based on similar past performance and decisions for that kind of investment in San Diego. Without question the best ones leave the area and I have only invested in one local startup which ultimately was acquired and left SD.

I don't much at all about the bio and life science tech stuff, but I can say from experience, that SD doesn't rank too highly IMHO for breeding a fertile incubator-like startup culture. There are factions here and there and co-op spaces with some talented younger folks trying to develop cool stuff, but finding the funding can be a challenge as well as right leadership.

In addition, I have seen startups here struggle to find the right kind of talent and vice versa. Startups which don't necessarily understand the kind of talent they need and/or misdiagnose the skillset with the void.

Old 01-21-2016, 10:18 AM

50,289 posts, read 47,043,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T. Damon View Post
Haha. I can't count the number of Southern Californians and San Diegans in particular who have never set foot in places like San Francisco, Yosemite, Lake Tahoe or the Redwoods of coastal California! Often as not these are people who are otherwise well traveled, but just as often they are surprisingly insular.

I can remember an architecture class at Mesa College years ago where our design project was a site in Balboa Park and several of the students uttered "Now, Balboa Park, I've heard of that but where is it exactly?"

Of the Illumina investment I have a good friend who is very high up as a sales manager for the company- it would be interesting to garner his take on the investment up north and whether that signals anything for the long term future of the company down here. I think other posters have it pretty well figured out though- lots of Biotech in the Bay Area, copious investment dollars available and certainly plenty of educated workers in the field. If you don't have a Bay Area presence in this state it behooves you to get up there and grab one while/if you can.

A loss though for our city's beleaguered Fortune 500 presence (or is it the Fortune 1000?) of our own for a city of this size and educated populous.
There was a field trip of HS kids at the beach from San Ysidro because they've never been to the beach.

Old 01-21-2016, 11:07 AM

4,498 posts, read 9,384,106 times
All great points. I agree with the previous posts. Many VC's kind of insist on their portfolio companies being within quick driving distance of them.

San Diego still is kind of a wacky town for as big a population it has. I did a start-up here and this is a super tough town to raise funds in. It's funny as lots of people call themselves "VC's" but they really aren't. There aren't too many really big investors here.

I'd laugh because I would go to a meeting with a "VC" here in San Diego trying to raise money and they would actually be pitching me on their own ideas and trying to get me to invest in their company. LOL. Like I said, very wacky.

There are Angel investors in town but entities like Tech Coast Angels and the like are a big joke for the most part.

And many start-ups that do get traction end up getting acquired and for the most part get moved out of San Diego. As my company was getting acquired, one of Rupert Murdock's companies also wanted to buy my firm. If they did, they would have also moved the company out of San Diego. No really good reasons for basing a company in San Diego.

For all intent and purposes, it doesn't make sense for many companies to be based here. They only are because the CEO loves San Diego. I look at companies like Bridgepoint Education that are based here and there is NO good reason they are based here other than the fact that the CEO wants to live here. Lots of other examples like that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego