Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2016, 02:29 AM

1,996 posts, read 4,769,387 times

Advertisements

It looks like the writing is on the wall regarding the Chargers leaving SD. They filed for "L.A. Charger" trademarks, and still have been extremely quiet about this whole ordeal. As Spano's hasn't said much, hiding behind Fabiani, and giving the city a bad rap.

If the Chargers leave, I'll probably still follow them for awhile, but the interest and the fact that the ownership has turned their backs against of all the Charger fans will inherently cause anger and resentment among bolt fans. So what better way to get sweet revenge then to have the Raiders replace them here?

As insane and horrible as it sounds of the Raiders possibly moving to SD, it's a very real possibility that they could end up here in the next year or so. The city politicians, and San Diegans really need to consider this option. Having an NFL team is better than none at all.

Plus you have 'Raider Nation' which has to be one of the most loyal fanbases in pro sports that extends all the way from SoCal to NorCal, to Nationwide. The Chargers simply don't have this kind of fan fare, and are limited to the SD market.

A Raider game in SD is a guaranteed sell out, even if nobody from SD went to the games, everybody from up north would travel down and buy up all the tickets, Mark Davis knows this, so he will be in a market that will have fans coming from all over SoCal, and really put a huge dent into the whole NFL in L.A. extravaganza.

Even though the Raiders don't fit the San Diego image, I think over time people will get used to it, we have the military here that I am sure would endorse the whole bad ass Raider Imagery especially the Navy and Marines. This will also give SD a chance for payback if the Raiders came to town.

Mark Davis seems like a more engaging and likeable character that really cares about his team, and because of this, he could get along much better with local political leaders than closed up Spanos.

The stadium deal for him will be less than what the Chargers want, and he might even be perfectly fine with the MV location instead of downtown which will save a lot of time, and money.

If Davis comes here and publicly makes it known he would like to be in SD, and rallies the community for support and going out in the city trying to make the Raiders feel like home, I think people would vote yes for a new stadium.

It's amazing how honesty, integrity, and someone who is genuine with their ways can win over a city that at the moment feels betrayed and lied to. So naturally we feel a little bitter and hatred for the owner and to some extent, the team itself.

This is going to get interesting in the coming weeks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2016, 02:56 AM

4,294 posts, read 4,427,042 times
Just think of all the cool gangbanger clothing that would have "SD" on it.

Old 01-25-2016, 08:33 AM

4,750 posts, read 3,566,024 times
In 2030 the Raiders will be in San Diego and the Chargers will be in Oakland (after they massively bomb in Los Angeles). And then everyone will question "why didn't we just leave things as they were?".

Los Angeles Chargers at San Diego Raiders would be rated NC-17 (in the parking lots and stands, at least).

Old 01-25-2016, 12:43 PM

9,822 posts, read 11,544,162 times
As a Raider fan i'm still trying to wrap my head around all of this.
Chargers vs Raiders have always been, "good vs evil" imo. I'm the type guy rooting for the villains in a movie, hence why im a Raider fan.
I will say this, unlike the chargers organization the Raiders will spend the money to, go out and get and retain good players.

Old 01-25-2016, 02:53 PM

1,175 posts, read 1,912,532 times
I just don't see this happening. It makes sense in many ways, but lets be real, SD is like the 28th rated media market, so there isn't a huge need for a 3rd team to be in Southern California. If SD was more like a top 10 media market, maybe. The other factor is Davis is a "poor" NFL owner, they don't have a new stadium in Oakland because he can't really put up much money to build one. If the Raiders moved to SD, it would be the same "we need the city and county to pay for most of it" scenario and nobody wants that with the Chargers, much less Raiders.

The other biggest challenge is the Rams and Stan. If the Rams and Chargers are in LA, it's almost certain they'd try and block any team moving to SD. They won't be able to legally do it, but all it takes are convincing most owners to vote a team moving to SD down. And we already saw how powerful Stan seems to be as his Inglewood proposal was considered the losing one before the owners voted.

Old 01-25-2016, 03:02 PM

9,822 posts, read 11,544,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedro2000 View Post
I just don't see this happening. It makes sense in many ways, but lets be real, SD is like the 28th rated media market, so there isn't a huge need for a 3rd team to be in Southern California. If SD was more like a top 10 media market, maybe. The other factor is Davis is a "poor" NFL owner, they don't have a new stadium in Oakland because he can't really put up much money to build one. If the Raiders moved to SD, it would be the same "we need the city and county to pay for most of it" scenario and nobody wants that with the Chargers, much less Raiders.

The other biggest challenge is the Rams and Stan. If the Rams and Chargers are in LA, it's almost certain they'd try and block any team moving to SD. They won't be able to legally do it, but all it takes are convincing most owners to vote a team moving to SD down. And we already saw how powerful Stan seems to be as his Inglewood proposal was considered the losing one before the owners voted.
Yep!
Money talks and Bull$h1t walks here in Southern California

Old 01-25-2016, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CNYC View Post
Just think of all the cool gangbanger clothing that would have "SD" on it.
You can already find that stuff at Mario's clothing or 619 Clothing at Parkway Plaza and various small clothing shops down in Nasty City or A.K.A. Nationally ****ty, Nalgas City

Pedro, Stan and Dean could try to block the Raiders from moving here, but Mark Davis desperately needs a new stadium, and Oakland can't afford to give him one, while San Diego does.

So why would the NFL stop that from happening? Or other owners in the league for that matter?

Even if we are a tiny market that has been gobbled up by L.A.'s dominance, the Raiders will still be in SoCal, and that alone is a huge incentive for the team to be here. I don't think Davis cares about our small market.

If he's smarter than he looks, if the team ended up here, he would be advertising the Raiders down in TJ, and all the way up into L.A..

Remember if you include TJ, Imperial Valley, Tecate, Mexicali, and Calexico, our region brings the population to almost about 5.5 million. SD-TJ Metro is probably around 5.1 million. That's a great market to be in if the Raider are willing to make it happen.

Old 01-25-2016, 07:58 PM

1,300 posts, read 2,024,985 times
I have always been under the assumption that chingos of Angelenos come down from LA for Raider vs Chargers games. I would bet some people even make a weekend of it and come down from the Bay Area. Raiders have a devout following and I think there would be no problem filling a stadium here in SD 8 times a year...let alone local hotels, restaurants, and jails. Transient occupancy tax would rise and other attractions would benefit as well from a constant stream of visitors at least 8 times a year. Every San Diego Raider game would be an event in San Diego, much like Comic-Con, X games, Torrey Pines Open and other high profile sporting events.

I have never been into football all that much, I've been to three Charger games in my whole life and one was pre-season. I'm not heavily invested in the Chargers so I really don't care if they stay or go. With that being said, I would embrace a San Diego Raider team...any team really that wants to be here. If the Chargers don't want to be here then eff em, I'll support a team that does.

Old 01-26-2016, 01:06 AM

1,175 posts, read 1,912,532 times
I don't know if it's really just SD that has Raiders fans. You can visit anywhere in the country and many stadiums and Raiders fans seem to pack the house. They did a poll years back and only like 41 percent of Raiders fans even lived in California and only like 25 percent lived outside the Bay Area.

And I'll be honest, Qualcomm has been packed with mostly the opposing teams fans many times I've been there, not just Raiders games.

I think the SD Raiders would bring in fans, but I also don't think the NFL wants their new $3 billion complex having another rival. The Chargers are never going to win the LA market whether here or in LA, I think the NFL Knows that. But the Raiders, the Raiders could get many people in LA and OC coming to SD. That might be good for SD and a new stadium here, but for the NFL, it's far more about advertising and everything else and Mark Davis seems to have less money than Dean Spanos and thus, the same problem with not having money for a Stadium happens all over again.

I mean half the people don't want a Chargers Stadium now, how many people would actually approve a Raiders stadium? Raiders fans might come to many games, but how many are actually living in SD and voting? They sure didn't matter in LA or Oakland.

Old 01-26-2016, 03:26 AM

All the Charger fans are pissed at Spano's, and the rest of SD that can care less about building a new stadium in town, is also pissed at Spano's and feel he doesn't deserve a new stadium.

The biggest problem that has happened was that Dean never came out and told the public, nor the city, that he truly wants to still be here. The whole Carson plan really is what did it in for everybody. The trust, the honesty, was gone. He ruined any chances in hoping to get a public vote passed here.

But a person like Mark Davis, would probably change the cities perception. Of course that will take time, but if he's likable enough, and is in the public's face all the time getting his message out to not only fans, but people here that are on the edge about voting for a stadium, he could sway voters to a YES vote come November if he wants the MV plan.

All this has to happen fairly quickly, because the Chargers need to decide by March if they're staying or going. I think the Raiders are waiting on the Chargers to make their move. Davis will never say he's considering moving to SD, because that will ruin his chances coming here if the Chargers knew it. So publicly he has to be very careful on what he says to people.

The Chargers already knows that they've ruined any chances on getting a deal done here, and I still believe they'll be moving north if they can get along with Kroenke and a respectable deal in place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego