Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2016, 05:48 PM

6,893 posts, read 8,929,483 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevanXL View Post
Ill give it a try. I still think the fish and chips up here in Seattle are pretty hard to beat though!
one of the best is at the Warm House in Neah Bay, WA - near the most northwest tip of the continental usa
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2016, 05:52 PM

2,011 posts, read 3,458,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bloom View Post
one of the best is at the Warm House in Neah Bay, WA - near the most northwest tip of the continental usa
The quality of fish is just so much superior then the rest of the continental United States in terms of cold water fish. I'm sure I can still find quality fish and chips in San Diego but im curious to say the least.

Old 02-10-2016, 06:03 PM

7,409 posts, read 6,537,276 times
J&I not bad, but not great...typical SD hyped resto--people dress down to pay more for a celeb chef more famous for his appearance on a reality TV show than for the caliber of his food....he has a hamburger, which he got his fame from originally in Atlanta, that is not on their menu but you can ask for...his Yodel dessert, however, could be my favorite in SD.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bloom View Post
CS: terrible name.
Coops BBQ: expanding with fried chicken soon
J&I: it was just only ok given the hoopla and cost

Old 02-10-2016, 06:05 PM

50,241 posts, read 46,997,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DevanXL View Post
The quality of fish is just so much superior then the rest of the continental United States in terms of cold water fish. I'm sure I can still find quality fish and chips in San Diego but im curious to say the least.
A local ling cod will make some serious fish and chips.

Old 02-10-2016, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elchevere View Post
J&I not bad, but not great...typical SD hyped resto--people dress down to pay more for a celeb chef more famous for his appearance on a reality TV show than for the caliber of his food....he has a hamburger, which he got his fame from originally in Atlanta, that is not on their menu but you can ask for...his Yodel dessert, however, could be my favorite in SD.
i had the yodel - fun, but as you said not bad, not great, more the memory of the human-poisonous trans-fat type of the 1970s; burger lounge had a gourmet ring-ding for awhile - meh to that

Old 02-10-2016, 07:52 PM

1,300 posts, read 2,024,291 times
I agree that Coops and Quatro Milpas are great but i wouldn't send someone visiting San Diego there. Take one wrong turn and you could wind up in a neighborhood you are not comfortable with, especially if map quest or your GPS tries to send you on the "quickest route" .

I feel comfortable driving around neighborhoods in San Diego because I know the area well and have lived here almost 50 years. I know what is bad and the quickest egress routes. I just got back from Austin and took the wrong exit off the 35 for 6th street and wound up in a sketchy neighborhood at night. Not a good feeling when you don't know the lay of the land.

Old 02-11-2016, 09:52 AM

6,420 posts, read 11,590,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by echo42 View Post
I agree that Coops and Quatro Milpas are great but i wouldn't send someone visiting San Diego there. Take one wrong turn and you could wind up in a neighborhood you are not comfortable with, especially if map quest or your GPS tries to send you on the "quickest route" .

I feel comfortable driving around neighborhoods in San Diego because I know the area well and have lived here almost 50 years. I know what is bad and the quickest egress routes. I just got back from Austin and took the wrong exit off the 35 for 6th street and wound up in a sketchy neighborhood at night. Not a good feeling when you don't know the lay of the land.
Methinks it's been too long since you were in a big, bad city.

I was originally gonna' say this'd be true of any large city. Except it isn't true of San Diego. Anyone who's got enough moxie to travel to another city also has enough moxie to brave some 'uncomfortable feelings' around Coops or Quatro Milpas. I might suggest that a visitor not try to navigate there after dark, but then I'd also suggest that a visitor not try to navigate around an unfamiliar north county after dark.

Old 02-11-2016, 12:09 PM

9,821 posts, read 11,536,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oddstray View Post
Methinks it's been too long since you were in a big, bad city.

I was originally gonna' say this'd be true of any large city. Except it isn't true of San Diego. Anyone who's got enough moxie to travel to another city also has enough moxie to brave some 'uncomfortable feelings' around Coops or Quatro Milpas. I might suggest that a visitor not try to navigate there after dark, but then I'd also suggest that a visitor not try to navigate around an unfamiliar north county after dark.
I agree!
I can take you to some places in the South Bronx Where the food, is to die for!
How bad do you want to eat?

Old 02-11-2016, 12:55 PM

Quote:

don't be so fearful or you'll end up supporting the current gop mongers and betray the patriotic american spirit

Old 02-11-2016, 03:45 PM

2,011 posts, read 3,458,487 times
Quote:

Definitely wouldn't want to take a wrong turn and end up lost but I never imagined San Diego as a city that really is that bad. I grew up around Tacoma, WA and spent alot of time in sketchy areas. I think I'll be fine
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego