U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 02-09-2008, 09:22 AM

22 posts, read 49,203 times

Advertisements

It seems like most of the posts here are about people leaving and it's quite understandable to some extent. Home prices are far too high and just depending upon where you choose to live in CA., the traffic can be murder. OK, having lived there before, I will admit CA. has its share of fake, 'plastic' people but it's also true that you find what you are looking for. If you live in the South you can certainly find rednecks but that doesn't mean there are not many educated, forward thinking progressive people there. I remember CA. as a diverse state comprised of interesting people from all over the world. Having lived around the country and travelled extensively, it seems that the positives and negatives of most places tend to be greatly exaggerated. It also seems as if many people like to complain about how others are not like them and how other places suck because they are not just like their original home. Talk about narrow minded, fake and plastic!!

I'm considering moving back as I figure I can always rent. I don't really care about buying a home right now as the market is so overpriced. It might drop another 10-50% in certain areas and it could be another year or maybe even 5 more before the rebound begins. So what! There are so many great things to do and see in Calif. and again, you can find good friends if you choose them wisely.

I am trying to decide on the Southeast or coming back to a CA. city like Temecula or San Luis Obispo. (an area that has growth but nowhere near the traffic of LA, Orange Co. and San Diego and no I don't mind the heat at all. As a matter of fact, I like the fact that the inland areas don't get blanketed in as much by all the fog that coastal Ca. frequently gets) Can anyone help me out with some good reasons to move back or not to move back? Thoughts??? Has anyone moved away and come back to CA. and can you share your thoughts or experience?

Thanks to all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2008, 03:41 PM

856 posts, read 1,448,903 times
Default familiarity

I moved to NYC 18 months ago from LA. I have grown up in LA for 28 years. I didn't like the traffic, the layer of smog, the plastic people with attitudes, and the boring SoCal weather. I thought I can be free and love NYC, with great opportunities. Everybody that visits NYC loves it there, but little do I know that the place is great for visiting, not living.

I started missing the comfort of space, the privacy, the all-around nice weather, and nice people (although there are alot of plastic people, at least they are nice socially). I didn't want to live in LA again, so I checked out SD. I truely believe after living here in SD for two whole weeks, it is better than LA. It got everything LA has but on a smaller scale. Not too much traffic, nicer people, family-oriented, nicer weather, food and better landscapes.

I truly believe it's the familiarity that I grew up with that I came back. Nothing like home you know. However, one day I would love to live in SF or Vancouver.

Good luck,

Chris

Old 12-26-2011, 03:46 PM

12 posts, read 21,498 times
I enjoyed east bay SF but missed warmth and beaches of So CA. Mainly, all over, the food is fresher and better everywhere. Abundance of fresh veggies, fish, healthy food is more prevalent in CA. We have lived in Escondido. Would recommend Carlsbad, any of those towns. The nicest thing is you can find anything you want from most of the areas. I have had difficulty finding good friends in my area now as most everyone knows each other and has gone to school, grown up together. Clannishness seems to keep newcomers at arm's length. New Mexico looks interesting with not too much bad weather but not sure. Anywhere near tornadoes or severe winds is out for me. It is terrifying and no one here seems to thing it is a big deal.

Old 12-26-2011, 07:27 PM

4,511 posts, read 4,147,080 times
Zombie thread.

Old 12-27-2011, 05:41 PM

2,496 posts, read 5,723,235 times
Yeeeeah, considering the OP posted this almost 4 years ago I'm sure they've decided whether or not to move back by now.

Old 12-27-2011, 06:22 PM

3,977 posts, read 2,664,819 times
Im going back to cali,cali,cali
I'm going back to cali
No i don't think so!

Old 12-29-2011, 03:35 PM

14 posts, read 17,871 times
I have lived in all over socal and briefly in Vegas, I ended up back in San Diego, CA.

I rather live in a studio in San Diego than live in large house in Vegas.

Old 12-29-2011, 04:49 PM

1,470 posts, read 1,721,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by onebyonesd View Post
I have lived in all over socal and briefly in Vegas, I ended up back in San Diego, CA.

I rather live in a studio in San Diego than live in large house in Vegas.
Amen to that
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego