Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2016, 09:20 AM

1 posts, read 1,905 times

Advertisements

We are relocating from Seattle to San Diego in June for my Husband's job. We are originally from Thousand Oaks, but have been here in the Seattle area for 9 years. We have two kids, 10 and 14. I have no idea what is a good, safe, nice, clean and family oriented area. I have read through all kinds of blogs, and opinions are all so different. I totally understand that we can't expect an affordable house, near the beach in a safe community. However, a house semi close to the beach that is average in size, in a safe area? I hope that is doable? Any thoughts? In the Seattle area, we are used to not being too concerned with safely( well in the burbs where we live) so that is majorly important.

Budget is up to 725,000( however we prefer to stay under 700,000)
Am I crazy to think Oceanside is an options? What about San Marcos? Is Southwest Escondido blazingly hot?

I really appreciate any insights!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2016, 06:38 PM

1 posts, read 1,851 times
Carmel Mountain Ranch or Poway, great family oriented communities and great school district.

Old 03-19-2016, 10:46 PM

8,390 posts, read 7,646,246 times
Where, exactly, will your husband be working in San Diego County?

Most of us will need to know that before giving suggestions, as "job in San Diego" can mean a huge swath of commute times.

It also would be helpful to know your children's ages, for school recommendations.

Old 03-20-2016, 05:04 AM

1,180 posts, read 3,127,339 times
We really need to know a bit more. Is your budget firm? Where will your husband (and you?) be working? Are you willing to do some work to get the house/area you want?

For example there are 2 houses in La Jolla in your price range but, considering their location I'm betting they could need some TLC or upgrading:
5622 Caminito Isla, La Jolla, CA 92037: $750K
5681 Desert View Drive, La Jolla, CA 92037: $748K

Here is a link to homes in Point Loma: 3-Bedroom Homes for Sale in Point Loma Heights, San Diego, CA - realtor.com®

So it is possible to get into the beach area within your budget but there would probably be compromises to make.

Old 03-20-2016, 02:57 PM

147 posts, read 157,623 times
Oceanside is option in your budget, but where does he work? Escondido and San Marcos can be dreadfully hot. Look further south and west for better climates.

Old 11-17-2016, 11:55 AM

1 posts, read 1,234 times
Hi there,
My family is looking for similar information. Moving from Vancouver, Canada to San Diego area for my husbands work. Location is not very firm as he is in management and will work from home mostly and travel to the distribution centres that are located from LA all the way to Texas. I am looking at areas from San Clemente all the way to San Diego. We are just looking for a safe, inclusive community with good schools for our kids (elementary aged). We are use to living in an area where we ride our bikes to grocery shop and to school, pretty laid back and has a good supportive community with lots of outdoor activities. So hoping to find a similar environment! Everything I read keeps bringing me back to Encinitas or areas closer to San Diego but would love some insight/advice. San Clemente, Oceanside, Carlsbad??? Would really like to live closer to the ocean as we do now and more concerned about community than price range at this point. We have vacationed in La Jolla and love it but wonder if its more a vacationing spot than a place you live full time?? Thank you so much. R

Old 11-17-2016, 05:57 PM

18,172 posts, read 16,398,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlutz21 View Post
Hi there,
My family is looking for similar information. Moving from Vancouver, Canada to San Diego area for my husbands work. Location is not very firm as he is in management and will work from home mostly and travel to the distribution centres that are located from LA all the way to Texas. I am looking at areas from San Clemente all the way to San Diego. We are just looking for a safe, inclusive community with good schools for our kids (elementary aged). We are use to living in an area where we ride our bikes to grocery shop and to school, pretty laid back and has a good supportive community with lots of outdoor activities. So hoping to find a similar environment! Everything I read keeps bringing me back to Encinitas or areas closer to San Diego but would love some insight/advice. San Clemente, Oceanside, Carlsbad??? Would really like to live closer to the ocean as we do now and more concerned about community than price range at this point. We have vacationed in La Jolla and love it but wonder if its more a vacationing spot than a place you live full time?? Thank you so much. R
Riding bikes may be difficult in many areas and "laid back" is relative. SoCal is a bit hectic, so laid back is probably a bit different than you are used to. I would however look in the Encinitas area in SD County or San Clemente in OC.

Old 11-17-2016, 08:13 PM

8,390 posts, read 7,646,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlutz21 View Post
Hi there,
The discussion linked below would be a helpful starting point. Regular posters who live in San Diego County described what they like about the part of the county they live in, and there is some additional information in there as well that will help you get an overview of the county.

What do you like about where you live in SD County?

For more specific suggestions, it would be helpful if you could give us an idea of your housing budget. Are you planning to buy or rent? Will you be looking only at single family homes, or would you consider a townhouse/condo?

You also mentioned that your husband will be traveling for work by air. If that's going to be a regular thing, then you might want to make easy proximity to the San Diego airport a consideration. Although the Carlsbad airport has some flights in and out, the majority of air travel is through the San Diego airport, and catching early flights on a regular basis from North County might not be ideal.

Some great areas a little closer to the main airport that might fit your needs would include Point Loma, Mission Hills, Pacific Beach, and maybe University City which is just over the hill from La Jolla. The Carmel Valley area might also be more convenient than Oceanside if your husband needs to fly out regularly.

But, obviously, much will depend on your budget and type of housing you're open to.

Last edited by RosieSD; 11-17-2016 at 08:26 PM..

Old 12-11-2016, 04:16 PM

230 posts, read 173,308 times
check out Poway Unified School District....one of the best. Housing in Poway is mixed. Near the high school you will find very nice homes.

Old 12-11-2016, 08:27 PM

18,172 posts, read 16,398,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kimbers82 View Post
We are relocating from Seattle to San Diego in June for my Husband's job. We are originally from Thousand Oaks, but have been here in the Seattle area for 9 years. We have two kids, 10 and 14. I have no idea what is a good, safe, nice, clean and family oriented area. I have read through all kinds of blogs, and opinions are all so different. I totally understand that we can't expect an affordable house, near the beach in a safe community. However, a house semi close to the beach that is average in size, in a safe area? I hope that is doable? Any thoughts? In the Seattle area, we are used to not being too concerned with safely( well in the burbs where we live) so that is majorly important.

Budget is up to 725,000( however we prefer to stay under 700,000)
Am I crazy to think Oceanside is an options? What about San Marcos? Is Southwest Escondido blazingly hot?

I really appreciate any insights!
Thismay help alsp as it shows gang areas in SD County

https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewer...231860352&z=12
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego