Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-20-2016, 11:28 AM

43 posts, read 35,167 times

Advertisements

Greetings all,

My situation: I am a newly divorced 50-year-old guy and a retired military officer. I lived in the San Diego area about 15 years ago. I am a health care professional with a monthly housing budget of $3,500. I have a human child who will be a high school senior in the Fall of 2016, and another child in the form of a golden retriever. We are relocating this summer.

I have read many of the threads on the housing nightmare, so am up to date on that. To be honest, it wasn’t much better 15 years ago when I was there.

I will be working in the La Jolla area at one of the healthcare organizations. I am looking to rent for at least a year, then hopefully buy down the road with a budget of about $800K.

Since my son has one year left of high school, I need to ensure that I find a rental in an area with a good school. Not sure where he will be going to college, but one of the community colleges is likely for a couple years.

Since I will be working in La Jolla, and the high school there is highly rated, should I take the plunge and rent in La Jolla? I would like to eventually buy a condo around there for my son and I (plus dog) but not yet sure that it is financially feasible. I expect my son to be living with me for a few years after high school as a college student.

Alternatively, I could find something in Poway School District for a year to let him finish up high school and I could commute to La Jolla for work, then possibly move closer in the following year after he finished high school. I could see that Poway might be necessary for a year until I get things sorted, but know that I’ve been there and done that with the whole suburban family thing. I’m entering a new stage in life where I’m newly single and looking more at lifestyle living than home upkeep.

What do you all think? What do you see as my best option (considering my son of course) for the first year? What about after he finishes high school?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2016, 12:46 PM

18,172 posts, read 16,389,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by colobuff View Post
Greetings all,

My situation: I am a newly divorced 50-year-old guy and a retired military officer. I lived in the San Diego area about 15 years ago. I am a health care professional with a monthly housing budget of $3,500. I have a human child who will be a high school senior in the Fall of 2016, and another child in the form of a golden retriever. We are relocating this summer.

I have read many of the threads on the housing nightmare, so am up to date on that. To be honest, it wasn’t much better 15 years ago when I was there.

I will be working in the La Jolla area at one of the healthcare organizations. I am looking to rent for at least a year, then hopefully buy down the road with a budget of about $800K.

Since my son has one year left of high school, I need to ensure that I find a rental in an area with a good school. Not sure where he will be going to college, but one of the community colleges is likely for a couple years.

Since I will be working in La Jolla, and the high school there is highly rated, should I take the plunge and rent in La Jolla? I would like to eventually buy a condo around there for my son and I (plus dog) but not yet sure that it is financially feasible. I expect my son to be living with me for a few years after high school as a college student.

Alternatively, I could find something in Poway School District for a year to let him finish up high school and I could commute to La Jolla for work, then possibly move closer in the following year after he finished high school. I could see that Poway might be necessary for a year until I get things sorted, but know that I’ve been there and done that with the whole suburban family thing. I’m entering a new stage in life where I’m newly single and looking more at lifestyle living than home upkeep.

What do you all think? What do you see as my best option (considering my son of course) for the first year? What about after he finishes high school?

Thanks!
If you can afford it, live in LaJolla. The drive each day from Poway would be a pain.

Old 03-20-2016, 02:52 PM

147 posts, read 157,549 times
Ehh, it's not that bad. I'd consider anywhere along 56 corridor. 800k houses do exist in that area. My gf, an agent, finds properties in that neighborhood a lot and you have Westview and a number of other schools. (Mount Carmel is pretty competitive too). Obviously La Jolla has better options, but not in terms of new builds and it can be pretty insulated. If I were a parent who wanted grounded children, I'd probably go with Westview, Poway, Scripps, cause they're all pretty competitive.

Old 03-20-2016, 02:54 PM

601 posts, read 1,451,299 times
West Mira Mesa/Sorrento Mesa/South Carmel Valley would be another good choice. Or anything down the 56 fwy corridor.

Old 03-20-2016, 04:02 PM

43 posts, read 35,167 times
Carmel Valley looks like it could be good option. Thanks to those who suggested it. I noticed that comparing renting vs buying, it seems cheaper to rent. Am I missing something? Some of the condo rentals that are $3K per month look to be about $800K to buy, and with HOA fees + Taxes, that's a mortgage payment of about $4,500 per month (or more).

Is it generally cheaper to rent in the area than buy?

Old 03-20-2016, 06:34 PM

147 posts, read 157,549 times
800 is the threshold of Carmel Valley, generally, but it is a fantastic area for many families.

It's ALWAYS cheaper to buy, esp. with SFH. The most obvious element here is equity. I think in high rent, why not build equity instead. At the lower rental rates, it's more of a personal choice I suppose. Of all properties in SD, you're getting the most burned in Mission Hills/Little Italy/Downtown and La Jolla/Torrey/Carmel Valley for rent.

Rental rates in North Park neighborhoods are also pretty bad but those are all lower than 2000. So if you're paying 1400, you're principal is still low enough where it justifies it to some extent, I guess.

Old 03-26-2016, 03:37 PM

2 posts, read 1,603 times
Default I feel your pain

I am in a similar situation (health care professional relocating) and am looking for somewhere to rent near the la Jolla area. I went two weeks ago and came home with no rental. The sticker shock took a wrap my head around. Good luck. I am going back out this week to try again. By the way, Carmel Valley is a great area.

Old 03-26-2016, 05:43 PM

50,255 posts, read 47,011,154 times
There are some really nice Condo options in either Bay Park or further North in La Jolla (East), even in parts of PB. You can choice your kid into whatever school you want but look into it early or it won't be an option.

Old 03-27-2016, 09:15 PM

8,390 posts, read 7,640,495 times
If you expect your son is going to be commuting from your home to a community college, rather than going off to a four year college, then you might want to consider the proximity of community college campuses to where ever you decide to live. This will help you determine that: Find A Community College

Also, if you are moving to California from out of state, when you narrow things down a bit, call the counseling office of the local high schools to arrange a meeting to discuss what your son will need to do to meet the California A-G course requirements, just in case he changes his mind about community college and decides he'd like to attend a Cal State or a UC. The A-G requirements are certain courses that all students must complete in order to be eligible for admission to the Cal States or University of California. At many high schools, these are also the defacto graduation requirements so you will want to understand them. Here is a brief overview: https://secure.californiacolleges.ed...oursework.aspx

It also wouldn't hurt to talk to the counseling office to get a sense of how helpful they will be as your son transitions to a new school and decides what he wants to do after graduation. Some schools are great at this, others so-so.

If there is any chance your son will be applying to a four year college, also have him ask TWO teachers who are teaching him this year at his CURRENT school if they would be willing to write letters of recommendation for him after the move. He should get their email addresses.

While your son may be planning to go to a community college at this point, teenagers can -- and often do -- change their minds between this time in 11th grade and the fall of senior year, so it doesn't hurt to cover all bases.

Good luck with your move!

Old 03-28-2016, 02:11 AM

1,180 posts, read 3,126,521 times
Apartments for Rent in La Jolla, CA - 254 Rentals

638 Nautilus St, La Jolla, CA 92037 | Zillow

There are plenty of rentals in the la Jolla/UTC area that are within your budget (examples above). Apartments are probably out with the dog, but I gave that link in case.

DOG Friendly possibilities:

https://www.tripping.com/search?sear...Fc5ZhgodLCAAKw

Pet Friendly Apartments for Rent in La Jolla, CA

Pet-Friendly Apartments for Rent in La Jolla, CA on Move.com Rentals
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego