Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2016, 11:21 AM

3,385 posts, read 2,783,500 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnS_15 View Post
Ya I was only being half serious. As Sassberto mentioned...as long as the lower classes are placated with smart phones, TVs and affordable cars and fuel they won't kick up as much fuss. I was just alluding to sports role in that and pro-football being the most popular. With the concussions and safety issue - will college and pro-football exist as we know them today in 10 years? 20 years?
This post took an odd turn but I will jump in here.

The NFL is massive and powerful enough but most importantly smart enough to overcome safety obstacles. They will not only survive but thrive. Just like the MMA I was collegiate wrestler (the feeder system to MMA)way back in the day I have shoulder issues, funky ears, and a hip destined for replacement in the next 10 or 15 years. It's violent people may not participate (just like football in the future) but they will still pay 59 bucks and watch the fight,wear their Afflication T's and act like they can do it. Football has always been a sport not really defined by class. We still see wealthy HS programs do well in it.

What is happening is EVerything is a concussion. 20 or so years ago it was "you got your bell rung a little"

Until now I think...the change is more with the educated folks that see the detriment and are steering kids away. This is clear with organized football, But the families will still pay to see. And families will still pay to see the Los Ang. Chargers.

What is on the rise are sports like Lacrosse that offer less head collisions
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2016, 02:13 PM

572 posts, read 595,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastcoastbias View Post
This post took an odd turn but I will jump in here.

The NFL is massive and powerful enough but most importantly smart enough to overcome safety obstacles. They will not only survive but thrive. Just like the MMA I was collegiate wrestler (the feeder system to MMA)way back in the day I have shoulder issues, funky ears, and a hip destined for replacement in the next 10 or 15 years. It's violent people may not participate (just like football in the future) but they will still pay 59 bucks and watch the fight,wear their Afflication T's and act like they can do it. Football has always been a sport not really defined by class. We still see wealthy HS programs do well in it.

What is happening is EVerything is a concussion. 20 or so years ago it was "you got your bell rung a little"

Until now I think...the change is more with the educated folks that see the detriment and are steering kids away. This is clear with organized football, But the families will still pay to see. And families will still pay to see the Los Ang. Chargers.

What is on the rise are sports like Lacrosse that offer less head collisions
Yeah - sorry for the odd turn of this thread. I'm not even sure why I really brought this up.

I agree with you to some extent - that's why I said I was only half-serious. There's too much money tied up in all this for it to disappear. But that's also why I said "will it exist as we know it today?". Yes educated people are turning their kids away from football and onto sports like Lacrosse and soccer. And yeah everyone gets psyched for a boxing match and for MMA events which likely have even worse longer term health outcomes for the professionals and nobody has banned those sports. It'll be interesting to see how the football thing evolves... I still think it'll change as concern for long term brain injuries increases.

I disagree that football is not somewhat defined by class... the wealthy may enjoy watching and playing but in my experience it tends to be the lower classes that really live and breathe for football season... the wealthy have more money and (and often more education) to enjoy a wide range of other pursuits.

Old 03-29-2016, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Yeah - sorry for the odd turn of this thread. I'm not even sure why I really brought this up.

I agree with you to some extent - that's why I said I was only half-serious. There's too much money tied up in all this for it to disappear. But that's also why I said "will it exist as we know it today?". Yes educated people are turning their kids away from football and onto sports like Lacrosse and soccer. And yeah everyone gets psyched for a boxing match and for MMA events which likely have even worse longer term health outcomes for the professionals and nobody has banned those sports. It'll be interesting to see how the football thing evolves... I still think it'll change as concern for long term brain injuries increases.

I disagree that football is not somewhat defined by class... the wealthy may enjoy watching and playing but in my experience it tends to be the lower classes that really live and breathe for football season... the wealthy have more money and (and often more education) to enjoy a wide range of other pursuits.
Maybe in California its that way- actually I think most of California is very indifferent about sports in general. I follow Ohio State football, I was actually at the Fiesta Bowl, and I've traveled back to Ohio every so often to catch a game. Its Upper Middle/Upper taking in the games many of which live, breathe, eat, sleep football and follow the team. I tend to think many San Diegans get a odd view of football here that doesn't exist in many other cities. The Chargers are a different animal. Most NFL stadiums are now pricing people out- replacing seats with luxury boxes. Its a corporate spectacle.

What is happening in Southern California participation is down from Pop Warner to HS, and as I mentioned its more of the parents that are reading medical journals or getting the word from their medical professionals.

The NFL may evolve- it does every year, but it will exist in its form without radically impacting changes that would result in a change in viewership.

Old 03-29-2016, 03:54 PM

572 posts, read 595,300 times
Quote:
Maybe in California its that way- actually I think most of California is very indifferent about sports in general. I follow Ohio State football, I was actually at the Fiesta Bowl, and I've traveled back to Ohio every so often to catch a game. Its Upper Middle/Upper taking in the games many of which live, breathe, eat, sleep football and follow the team. I tend to think many San Diegans get a odd view of football here that doesn't exist in many other cities. The Chargers are a different animal. Most NFL stadiums are now pricing people out- replacing seats with luxury boxes. Its a corporate spectacle.

What is happening in Southern California participation is down from Pop Warner to HS, and as I mentioned its more of the parents that are reading medical journals or getting the word from their medical professionals.

The NFL may evolve- it does every year, but it will exist in its form without radically impacting changes that would result in a change in viewership.
Yeah the mid-west is a whole different world - especially when it comes to college football.

And I suppose you are right... in California much of the poorest class is made up of immigrant populations - Asian and Latino - who grew up with different sports. Or the poor whites of the central valley who haven't really had sports teams located nearby.

Still in San Diego, LA, the bay area, and in Sacramento I've just experienced that many of the wealthier people (especially wealthy families) follow baseball quite closely - go to the games with the kids etc. - while the lower-middle class (not the poorest) follow NFL more closely. Maybe not going to the games often but heavy drinking in bars and backyards while yelling at the TV! Or maybe that's my misperception and it's all mid-west transplants just behaving low-class

Kidding aside - I'm inclined to agree with you overall. Especially on the NFL stadiums pricing people out... that's happening in sports the world over and especially with the big famous teams. You get tourist-packages for wealthy parties to "experience" Manchester United or Barcelona soccer games leaving ever more expensive ticket prices for local die-hard fans. But that's another topic again and I think I'll stop side-tracking and let this thread get back to low rent scenarios or whatever it started at... or fizzle out.

Old 03-30-2016, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Yeah the mid-west is a whole different world - especially when it comes to college football.

And I suppose you are right... in California much of the poorest class is made up of immigrant populations - Asian and Latino - who grew up with different sports. Or the poor whites of the central valley who haven't really had sports teams located nearby.

Still in San Diego, LA, the bay area, and in Sacramento I've just experienced that many of the wealthier people (especially wealthy families) follow baseball quite closely - go to the games with the kids etc. - while the lower-middle class (not the poorest) follow NFL more closely. Maybe not going to the games often but heavy drinking in bars and backyards while yelling at the TV! Or maybe that's my misperception and it's all mid-west transplants just behaving low-class

Kidding aside - I'm inclined to agree with you overall. Especially on the NFL stadiums pricing people out... that's happening in sports the world over and especially with the big famous teams. You get tourist-packages for wealthy parties to "experience" Manchester United or Barcelona soccer games leaving ever more expensive ticket prices for local die-hard fans. But that's another topic again and I think I'll stop side-tracking and let this thread get back to low rent scenarios or whatever it started at... or fizzle out.
Yet there will always be football at Harvard, Yale, and players from Stanford going to the NFL. On a smaller level, communities like Rancho Bernardo winning State football titles. I know plenty of "Race Track/Baseball fans" that love a little football too.

Old 03-30-2016, 06:48 PM

18,172 posts, read 16,304,803 times
Quote:
Yet there will always be football at Harvard, Yale, and players from Stanford going to the NFL. On a smaller level, communities like Rancho Bernardo winning State football titles. I know plenty of "Race Track/Baseball fans" that love a little football too.
I gave up on the NFL games long ago. I did watch the Superbowl for the 1st time in about 5 or 6 years on TV . That was the only game i watched all year. I would watch a College or High School game, and did last year as they are far more fun to watch. Baseball is fun to play but boring to watch. As for a race track, only if I am racing on it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego