U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2016, 02:33 PM

55 posts, read 29,569 times

Advertisements

Hello

We presently live up in the Bay area but have decided that it has just gotten too expensive to live here and want to move. While we have looked at other states we would also like to stay in California if possible. We currently live in an apartment complex and we have neighbors who are also moving to the Carlsbad area in a couple of years to be with their family.

I have a wife and 2 year old son and would also be looking at the same time frame but would consider buying now and my wife and son might move down early to get him use to the area and ready for when he starts school.

We have never been to San Diego but have been frequent visitors to Santa Monica where my wife trains as a Pilates instructress.

We are both very into the outdoor life, we love cycling (road bikes) climbing and generally keeping fit. our 2yr old is already loving his balance bike so hopefully he keeps that up.

Are there any other areas that we should consider other than Carlsbad? Ideally we would love to be as close to the ocean as financially possible. I know beach front will not be possible

Is there a big fitness community in and around the Carlsbad area as we will both involved in that area for business

We would be looking at either a small 3bd 2bath home or condo around $550K.

Requirements

SAFE area for child to play in and be secure

Great schools

Access to good roads for cycling

Is there much building going on for newer homes or apartments? Where we live we cannot buy homes for under a million now (900sq ft) or condos for under $600K (1bd) so it will be nice to have some choice.

We are planning on visiting for 9 days in early May to look around the area and have a look at some properties

Thanks for any help you can give us

Martin
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2016, 03:03 PM

4,767 posts, read 2,234,187 times
You may have a tough time finding a detached single family home "close to the beach" in Carlsbad for $550,000. Indeed, you'll have a hard time finding $550,000 single family detached homes in just about all of the coastal communities in Northern San Diego county.

However, if you're OK with a townhome or condo, you should find some options within budget in Carlsbad. If that's OK, add Encinitas and Carmel Valley to your shopping list.

If a single family detached home with a yard is a must, you may want to expand your search to areas like Oceanside, San Marcos, Vista, if you want to stay in the far north of San Diego County --- although be careful about schools in those areas and you will be more inland.

If schools are a priority, also look in Poway, Rancho Bernardo, Scripps Ranch, and parts of Rancho Penasquitos. These are areas with excellent schools and a strong family-oriented community feel. They are, however, more inland (by that I mean a 20-30 minute drive to the beach, not an hour drive).

If you're open to living more mid-county and closer to downtown, check into Clairemont Mesa, Bay Park, and possibly the area called UTC (University Town Center). You will likely find a mix of condos and some older single family homes in those areas, and they aren't far from beaches, plus you have the benefit of being close to downtown San Diego, the airport, and La Jolla.

Your first job is to find a knowledgeable and experienced realtor in North County who can point you towards other options. You might ask here if people can give you recommendations for realtors, or perhaps your neighbors who are moving can put you in touch with the realtor they used.

There are health and fitness conscious people everywhere in San Diego -- it's what we do. North County from Carlsbad to La Jolla is a fitness oriented place, but you may face a lot of existing competition there, if you're planning to open a new fitness business.

Good luck with your decision - San Diego County is a great place to live and raise a family.

Old 03-28-2016, 03:12 PM

Thanks

I should have been a bit more specific when I mentioned close to the beach...At our price range I don't really expect to be able to see the beach, but within 10 to 20 miles will be just fine.

Thanks again for the reply

Quote:
Originally Posted by RosieSD View Post
You may have a tough time finding a detached single family home "close to the beach" in Carlsbad for $550,000. Indeed, you'll have a hard time finding $550,000 single family detached homes in just about all of the coastal communities in Northern San Diego county.

However, if you're OK with a townhome or condo, you should find some options within budget in Carlsbad. If that's OK, add Encinitas and Carmel Valley to your shopping list.

If a single family detached home with a yard is a must, you may want to expand your search to areas like Oceanside, San Marcos, Vista, if you want to stay in the far north of San Diego County --- although be careful about schools in those areas and you will be more inland.

If schools are a priority, also look in Poway, Rancho Bernardo, Scripps Ranch, and parts of Rancho Penasquitos. These are areas with excellent schools and a strong family-oriented community feel. They are, however, more inland (by that I mean a 20-30 minute drive to the beach, not an hour drive).

If you're open to living more mid-county and closer to downtown, check into Clairemont Mesa, Bay Park, and possibly the area called UTC (University Town Center). You will likely find a mix of condos and some older single family homes in those areas, and they aren't far from beaches, plus you have the benefit of being close to downtown San Diego, the airport, and La Jolla.

Your first job is to find a knowledgeable and experienced realtor in North County who can point you towards other options. You might ask here if people can give you recommendations for realtors, or perhaps your neighbors who are moving can put you in touch with the realtor they used.

There are health and fitness conscious people everywhere in San Diego -- it's what we do. North County from Carlsbad to La Jolla is a fitness oriented place, but you may face a lot of existing competition there, if you're planning to open a new fitness business.

Good luck with your decision - San Diego County is a great place to live and raise a family.

Old 03-28-2016, 03:54 PM

4,767 posts, read 2,234,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tipmart87 View Post
Thanks

I should have been a bit more specific when I mentioned close to the beach...At our price range I don't really expect to be able to see the beach, but within 10 to 20 miles will be just fine.

Thanks again for the reply
Whew! That's a relief. We have so many folks come here and say that they want to buy a house for $200,000 within walking distance of the beach, that we all have become a bit jaded.

Since you're open minded about distance, and wouldn't mind going 20 miles inland, then definitely check out the communities I mentioned above. I'm sure others will chime in with other suggestions too.

Let us know if you have any questions about planning your trip in May.

Old 03-28-2016, 04:13 PM

162 posts, read 129,655 times
Anything is Carlsbad for 550k is going to be very tough to secure. Even condos sell fast there. Like Rosie suggested Oside, San Marcos or Vista would fit your budget- although the schools might not be considered "great".

Old 03-28-2016, 05:23 PM

I notice there is quite a drop in the school ratings when you look in those areas. Does that mean the area is less safe or less desirable? If necessary we could always use private schools if the areas were still safe enough to live in

Old 03-28-2016, 05:45 PM

7,990 posts, read 24,498,496 times
Greater Carlsbad is just like San Jose. Expensive, sprawling, and a mixed bag outside of a few elite areas. If that's what you are looking for, that's what you'll find. I don't think 550k is enough.

Old 03-28-2016, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassberto View Post
Greater Carlsbad is just like San Jose. Expensive, sprawling, and a mixed bag outside of a few elite areas. If that's what you are looking for, that's what you'll find. I don't think 550k is enough.
Well as I said, We have never been to San Diego and we are open to options. It's only because a friend mentioned Carlsbad that i brought it up here.

Old 03-28-2016, 06:41 PM

414 posts, read 255,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Chili View Post
Anything is Carlsbad for 550k is going to be very tough to secure. Even condos sell fast there. Like Rosie suggested Oside, San Marcos or Vista would fit your budget- although the schools might not be considered "great".
San Marcos schools are pretty good. Marginally different than Carlsbad in terms of academics and a lot more diverse... A number of Carlsbad neighborhoods attend SM schools.

Old 03-28-2016, 07:37 PM

147 posts, read 87,568 times
Tip, when you say Santa Monica, is that the type of area you seek? Where are you working? commute will be a concern.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2013 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego