U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 02-12-2008, 06:47 PM

3 posts, read 4,037 times

Advertisements

A buddy and I are moving from Fairfax, Virginia to the San Diego area. We're looking to move in mid-July and trying to find out information on where nice yet affordable places are to live. Both of us are in our mid-twenties and we just want to be in California. We just don't want to go to whatever 'bad parts' SD may have. The most important thing is finding good jobs to apply for before we leave. We both currently make 16/hr and can live off that in Fairfax. I hear SD is 'expensive', but come to NOVA and you'll be happy with SD prices. Also, any information on Community Colleges and 4 year schools in the area would be great. We hate this place and are ready to live in Cali. We are open to any suggestions for a place to live. We would really appreciate any job contacts you may for provide us. Thanks for your time and can't wait to live there!
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2008, 06:55 PM

228 posts, read 635,052 times
Well as far as school you have the community colleges which are Mesa, Miramar and City Colleges. 4 year schools are UCSD, SDSU and USD (which is private - the other 2 are public).

You have to give us a rent range so we can guide you better on the apartment hunt.

Check craigslist.com for job opportunities.

Good luck. I hope you make it out to SD.

Also, if you check ou the picture link at the top of the page, sdurbanite has posted many pictures of diferent neighborhoods so you can get a feel for the place.

Old 02-12-2008, 09:47 PM

181 posts, read 631,046 times
San Diego has a lot to offer for someone in your position. There are a lot of community schools, check out palomar and grossmont in addition to the ones already listed. Lots of young people like pb (pacific beach) lots of partyin and stuff...if you arnt into that maybe try oceanside or carlsbad...both beach communities with something a litle diff. to offer. As far as jobs, look on craigslist and sd reader. good luck you guys will like it here.

Old 02-12-2008, 09:50 PM

264 posts, read 969,419 times
For schools, you also have CSU San Marcos (a California State University), and community colleges, Mira Costa and Palomar. All are in the part of San Diego county we call "north county".

As far as communities to live in, there are many diverse areas and a wide array of prices. You'll pay more the closer you are to the water.

Try to live close to your job and/or school. Commutes here are not fun.

And, on a side note, just don't call California "Cali" when you get here. Natives never use that term

Old 02-13-2008, 01:38 PM

Well in that case, I can't wait to be in California! I don't want to start out looking like 'that guy from out of town' haha. Anymore advice on places to live (>650/mo) and jobs (16/hr+) would be great. Im willing to do what it takes to get there and getting a job is my number one priority. Any jobs contacts would be greatly appreciated. We have been looking on craigslist and sdreader. Any further help would be great! I wish I was there now!

Old 02-14-2008, 07:07 PM

It would help us to know what kind of job you'd be looking for, or what you'd be willing to do.
I haven't been in the job market for a few years now, so I wouldn't be too much help with that end of it, but there are a lot of people here who might point you in the right direction.

Welcome to California!

Old 02-16-2008, 01:15 PM

My friend, Aaron, has over four years retail/sales assistant managing experience and 2 years of business management schooling. He currently works at Office Depot as an assistant manager and will be going back to school in SD. As for me, I have 3 years military service, 2 years experience being a server at a very popular restaurant in the area, and I currently work at E Street Limousine Co. I have a year and a half of business management done from Northern Virginia Community College (NVCC) and plan on attending one of the CC's out there. I have a year and a half experience in dispatching, customer service, reservations, billing, detailing and even some driving. I am basically an assistant manager with the company. There are only 4 other guys in the office, so we task out accordingly. We both currently make 17/hr and would like to make the same, and obviously enough, more if possible. Any information heading us in the right direction is GREATLY appreciated. Thanks! ~Paul

Old 02-17-2008, 09:46 PM

San Diego is big with the hospitality industry as well as retail, so I think you'd be able to get that type of job fairly easily. I don't know what the salary range would be, but there are plenty of salary calculators out there that'll be able to pin-point a range for San Diego. The last company I worked for tended to start their "entry level" customer service/production people in at around $14/hr, but I haven't worked there in 5 years, so I don't know if the starting range is higher now. They had good bene's and perks when I was there. If you PM me, I'll give you more info. about the company, if you're interested.

In general, San Diego isn't known for high wages for the average job. A lot of people try and make do with a lower salary just to have good weather and beaches.

Old 02-23-2008, 07:44 PM

3 posts, read 4,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulz85 View Post
A buddy and I are moving from Fairfax, Virginia to the San Diego area. We're looking to move in mid-July and trying to find out information on where nice yet affordable places are to live. I hear SD is 'expensive', but come to NOVA and you'll be happy with SD prices. We hate this place and are ready to live in Cali.
We moved to SD from NoVA. You would think that the cost of living would be comparable, but it isn't just housing that is less affordable in SD. I think things are more expensive in SoCal in general so be prepared. Food, gas, taxes, entertainment, even heating--yes, you occasionally use the heater and water are pricey.

It is beautiful and there is a ton to do so you will probably like the change, you really can't beat the weather. You should be aware that your costs WILL be significantly higher here.

Old 02-24-2008, 11:57 AM

365 posts, read 969,394 times
Depending on what you're looking for in housing, you can find some inexpensive places, but would you be open to roommates? When I lived there a few years ago for school, I paid about $425 a month including utilities and shared a room. I didn't mind because I wasn't home all that much. That's how I look at it. If you are young and active and don't think you'll be home that much, cut costs and split rent on a house with guys that are clean and fun. You have an instant circle of friends, social network, and job network. Look in Mission Valley. There are plenty of jobs to be had there, and rentals are abundant. Like others said before, craigslist.org is great for jobs and housing. If you know how to live like a college student, SD is not expensive. If you like to spend, it'll catch up with you real quick.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego