Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-20-2016, 01:07 AM

53 posts, read 88,573 times

Advertisements

If I buy a home up in the hills there will I end up drinking roof water 20 years from now?
I will add I love the city and the people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2016, 12:21 PM

8,364 posts, read 7,551,420 times
It depends on where you buy and the individual property. Some areas "in the hills" have city water. Others do rely on wells. Some properties with wells get excellent water flow; others have to go deep just to get a trickle.

If you are considering a home with well water only, you will want to hire a well inspector to inspect the well and pump. They'll be able to tell you about the gallons per minute (or flow rate) of the well on the property, and give you some idea about the chances of it having problems in the near future. Also, bear in mind that there are maintenance costs associated with wells and well pumps to be aware of -- the water doesn't end up being totally "free". A good well inspector/well driller should be able to give you an assessment of how well a well and pump have been maintained and any issues that need to be addressed on the property. Ideally, pick a well company that knows the area, as they will be able to tell you if other wells nearby have had problems with water flow during drought. If you are thinking about buying land and building, a well drilling company with experience in your area can give you an estimate of how far down you'll need to drill and what your likely flow rate will be. Again, I wouldn't buy land without paying for a well drill company I trusted to give me this estimate. And, I would not buy any well-dependent property that has less than 10 gallons per minute well flow, as that is just asking for trouble.

I live in East County (Jamul) and we have the best of both worlds - we have city water, but also put in a well for irrigation and watering our animals. Our well is on a good vein of water, and we have an excellent flow rate (40 gpm) that has not been affected by any of the droughts we've had over the last 30 years. If we needed to, we could switch to city water only, or to well water only without a problem. However, a few miles away from us, we know people who do not have city water and have had their well run dry at times and have had to truck in water. We also know people in that same area who have great wells that never have problems. So, again, it really depends on where you buy and the individual property's water access.

Dont believe anyone (especially a realtor) who tells you that "all of the wells in XYZ area are great!" or those who say "all wells run dry in a drought." Wells vary from property to property, and even next door neighbors can have different well flows. The people to talk to are the well drillers/inspectors, and the best drillers are brutally honest about what you can expect from an individual piece of property. Or, just look for a property that is hooked up to city water like we did.

Do also consider the fact that homes in any rural or semi rural area in the back country are at greater risk for wild fires. I would say that is probably a bigger worry than the well running dry for most back country home owners. However, despite that risk, we love the privacy, quiet, and space we have, and yet we're just 30 minutes from downtown San Diego so I can get my fix of "city and people" whenever I want.

Good luck!

Last edited by RosieSD; 04-26-2016 at 12:32 PM..

Old 04-26-2016, 12:56 PM

53 posts, read 88,573 times
Thanks a bunch Rosie

Old 04-26-2016, 05:01 PM

50,060 posts, read 46,570,390 times
Trucking in water would really suck.

Old 04-26-2016, 09:04 PM

6,477 posts, read 7,424,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redneck Russell View Post
If I buy a home up in the hills there will I end up drinking roof water 20 years from now?
I will add I love the city and the people.
Where abouts do you plan to live? I live in the semi-rural hills and have city water via Lakeside water district. Even the homes further out from me in Eucalyptus Hills who run on septic and propane at least have city water.

Old 04-26-2016, 11:44 PM

9,522 posts, read 30,349,200 times
Even up in pine valley and descanso they have water districts. You really would try to avoid buying a home on a well in SoCal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego